Could this be the Trident announcement?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I wouldn't. I know my life support equipment requires routine inspections and servicing to function properly. It is used in harsh conditions (I dive cold Northern California waters so say at 114 feet depth or so the water can be as low as 45 - 49 degrees Fahrenheit) both cold, freshwater (Lake Tahoe) or saltwater. That is just my regulator and not talking about other things like my tanks, BC, etc. My life depends on it. No different than a car needing oil changes every x miles or months or new tires.

The Trident is a measuring device pulling in tank water to sample, then regents, then measure and test. At the surface it seems somewhat easy I guess but think about how you do your tests manually then try to automate that so it is repeatable, consistently, time and time again. They need to how long the tubing is, how accurate the drops of regents are, the waste line, line quality, dirt, dust, what have you. Why wouldn't you want the unit looked at periodically? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

How often do you replace your regents? Change the battery if you use a Hanna checker? Do regents expire? How accurate is your test if you repeat the same test back to back to back or say 4 times a day? What is your level of accuracy when done manually?

How do your vials look after say 6 months of testing? Do you clean your vials? Do you replace them? I hear when people say they are surprised about the service or scheduled maintenance or maybe even feel it wasn't mentioned. However, I really struggle when people ask why it is needed or that is a deal breaker for the unit.

I don't own a trident. My tank isn't ready for it. I do own an Apex. I may buy one though down the road. Based on my understanding of how it works, the cost of regents, the results so far and feedback from beta users, I am at peace with it all. It makes sense to me. It will be interesting thought to see how it does perform now with the retail launch and new users. I do think the next two weeks will be interesting on the Neptune forums which I will be reading and paying attention to. That is where all the good and more useful information will be.
You missed my point... if you're presented with 2 products, one required expensive preventative maintenance and one that doesn't, which one would you choose? that's rhetorical, I'm definitely not interested in debating it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sense of the installed base of trident-capable apex brains (I do not)? I argued a while back that using this number as a way to forecast trident demand would be a good idea. Maybe they did and 10% was too low?

There are obviously thousands and based on sales numbers and firmware updates and what not I would think Neptune knows exactly how many within about 5%.

I could be completely wrong and this is all speculation and pulling numbers out of the air, but between the different Apex setups you can buy, BRS has just over 300 in stock. I would imagine they try to stock about 60-90 days worth of inventory, so BRS alone probably expects to sell about 12-1500 per year. Of course in the first year or two after launch they will sell a lot more than that as well. If BRS sells half of them sold in North America (which wouldn't surprise me), I would estimate there are about 6-8000 of them out there. Seeing as how BRS had ~90 units I think someone said I highly doubt there were 500+ Tridents available.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are thinking the total launch quantity went to BRS? Marine Depot also apparently had some. I called three somewhat local stores and each had between 1 and 5 (all sold). Soo other stores also had them. Please don’t assume all the units were just sold by BRS (60-100).

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are obviously thousands and based on sales numbers and firmware updates and what not I would think Neptune knows exactly how many within about 5%.

I could be completely wrong and this is all speculation and pulling numbers out of the air, but between the different Apex setups you can buy, BRS has just over 300 in stock. I would imagine they try to stock about 60-90 days worth of inventory, so BRS alone probably expects to sell about 12-1500 per year. Of course in the first year or two after launch they will sell a lot more than that as well. If BRS sells half of them sold in North America (which wouldn't surprise me), I would estimate there are about 6-8000 of them out there. Seeing as how BRS had ~90 units I think someone said I highly doubt there were 500+ Tridents available.
So amazing how data and facts are still being debated. The curse of fanboys...

Facts are simple and clear:
-BRs themself have said to multiple ppl they had bit lower than 100units
- Ppl who started logging brs website reported between 70 to 90 units
- we know brs sold out and their communication to customers say expect 3 months before we get more
- we know no one else have any more units.

Yet I see debates that there are large quantities that was released at launch ha ha.
Neptune is major vendore in the industry. Hyped their products for 2 years. Then launched on such a haste with 100 to 200 units is strange at most...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are thinking the total launch quantity went to BRS? Marine Depot also apparently had some. I called three somewhat local stores and each had between 1 and 5 (all sold). Soo other stores also had them. Please don’t assume all the units were just sold by BRS (60-100).
Ok so brs 90....marine depot's some let's call it another 90....
Add another 50 for imaginary vendors that no one know off...
We are talking about less than couple hundreds for north America launch...

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so brs 90....marine depot's some let's call it another 90....
Add another 50 for imaginary vendors that no one know off...
We are talking about less than couple hundreds for north America launch...

Are there only 2 vendors now? LoL

You sound more clueless with every post

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We're not assuming, but they have to be a significant portion of Neptune sales.

Are there only 2 vendors now? LoL

You sound more clueless with every post

He's saying MD and everyone else combined, another 90.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
- we know brs sold out and their communication to customers say expect 3 months before we get more
[/QUOTE]

This entire banter is pointless and going nowhere but just to clarify this point:

I had successfully completed my purchase of a triton from m BRS at 2:59am ET (so I thought). I received a confirmation receipt at 3:16am with a Monday delivery date.

Yesterday afternoon BRS emailed that there had been an inventory error and I would not be receiving the unit. They stated that they would be getting a new shipment NEXT WEEK and that my unit would ship then.

True or not we shall see but regardless I was not told 3 months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you know it was 70-100 units - other than parroting other uninformed claims? From folks that bought them from BRS it seems that they got 60. While I suppose it’s possible the entire remainder of NA got only 10-40 more, that seems unlikely doesn’t it! Checked with my LFS and they got ‘around 5’ .....

If the COR launch is any guide, most will get a T if they want one within a month or two. All the handwringing seems unnecessary.

Exactly. That was 70-100 units at one supplier. Marine Depot, aquarium specialties, and many others got an allotment and there IS demand based on the wait. They have more coming, NOT like they are saying this is it- take care. Its a launch and typical results of a launch. Vertex Finally released the Cerebra and also had limited number at first ship. I have to wait for next batch before I get mine and I have waited this long- im ok with that.
I Prefer to wait on the trident to see how it is performing. meeting customer expectations and view experiences of others before making the move.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d think Neptune knows exactly how many there are. Regardless, a coherent argument ..... unlike some others. Maybe spot on .... maybe completely wrong lol. We shall see.

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire banter is pointless and going nowhere but just to clarify this point:

I had successfully completed my purchase of a triton from m BRS at 2:59am ET (so I thought). I received a confirmation receipt at 3:16am with a Monday delivery date.

Yesterday afternoon BRS emailed that there had been an inventory error and I would not be receiving the unit. They stated that they would be getting a new shipment NEXT WEEK and that my unit would ship then.

True or not we shall see but regardless I was not told 3 months.

This is the truth. Can confirm same thing happened to me placed order at basically the same exact time. Was told exact same story by BRS.

I asked how many they oversold - said they oversold by about 20 units and expected to be able to cover that amount NEXT week. I have no idea if they’ll have more than that - didn’t ask just wanted to confirm all oversold units would be covered next week.

BRS also said they had about 100 units initially when I asked about my unit.

Again who knows the truth but so much misinformation in this thread and people just making up numbers because they want to debate lol

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the truth. Can confirm same thing happened to me placed order at basically the same exact time. Was told exact same story by BRS.

I asked how many they oversold - said they oversold by about 20 units and expected to be able to cover that amount NEXT week. I have no idea if they’ll have more than that - didn’t ask just wanted to confirm all oversold units would be covered next week.

BRS also said they had about 100 units initially when I asked about my unit.

Again who knows the truth but so much misinformation in this thread and people just making up numbers because they want to debate lol
Yup agreed this is all pointless. All we know is that there is no availability anywhere.
Thanks for sharing btw

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I wouldn't. I know my life support equipment requires routine inspections and servicing to function properly. It is used in harsh conditions (I dive cold Northern California waters so say at 114 feet depth or so the water can be as low as 45 - 49 degrees Fahrenheit) both cold, freshwater (Lake Tahoe) or saltwater. That is just my regulator and not talking about other things like my tanks, BC, etc. My life depends on it. No different than a car needing oil changes every x miles or months or new tires.

The Trident is a measuring device pulling in tank water to sample, then regents, then measure and test. At the surface it seems somewhat easy I guess but think about how you do your tests manually then try to automate that so it is repeatable, consistently, time and time again. They need to how long the tubing is, how accurate the drops of regents are, the waste line, line quality, dirt, dust, what have you. Why wouldn't you want the unit looked at periodically? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

How often do you replace your regents? Change the battery if you use a Hanna checker? Do regents expire? How accurate is your test if you repeat the same test back to back to back or say 4 times a day? What is your level of accuracy when done manually?

How do your vials look after say 6 months of testing? Do you clean your vials? Do you replace them? I hear when people say they are surprised about the service or scheduled maintenance or maybe even feel it wasn't mentioned. However, I really struggle when people ask why it is needed or that is a deal breaker for the unit.

I don't own a trident. My tank isn't ready for it. I do own an Apex. I may buy one though down the road. Based on my understanding of how it works, the cost of regents, the results so far and feedback from beta users, I am at peace with it all. It makes sense to me. It will be interesting thought to see how it does perform now with the retail launch and new users. I do think the next two weeks will be interesting on the Neptune forums which I will be reading and paying attention to. That is where all the good and more useful information will be.
I dont believe this. If another company came out with a product that didnt require the type of maintenance here - all else being equal - I cant see why you would answer this way... Not - that said - the likelyhood of that happening - and standing up through time testing - is very slight....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised at a couple things - first - that the units sold out - no matter how many 70 - 100 - 1000 - 1,000,000 units - there was obviously a big demand. Second - I'm surprised that ANYONE would think it would be smart for a company to provide its entire inventory on day one - when in 12-18 months many if not all of those units are going to come in for maintenence (its common sense that they are releasing them in staggered fashion) - and even if they sold every single one on day one - it makes sense for them to stagger it going forward.

Im not a fanboy here - but the comments here seem kind of silly. I didnt get one so ....... I'm mad, etc. I didnt know about this so im.... mad. Its all been said 500 times - why keep repeating it. Hopefully Neptune got the message from the first 500 posts about issue x......?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So what - lets say there were 490 tridents available? or 510? OR 700 - what's the point ? This is like beanie babies or the tulip bulb craze - who cares if you get one today - or in a month or 2? Frankly the winners will be the ones who get it in a month or 2 after the bugs that will assuredly be seen as the users that were not as 'amped' as the beta testers were -to follow protocol. If you didnt get a unit today (I didnt though I applied for one through BRS) - count yourself lucky perhaps?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole maintenance thing seemed completely predictable - well, other than the got-to-send-it-in-thing. All of the peri pumps I have used need periodic tube and roller head replacement, even if I tend to push replacements out a bit. I’ve tended to try to find bulk tubing so as to avoid silly premiums. Maybe that ends up being possible here too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back