Could this be the Trident announcement?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what - lets say there were 490 tridents available? or 510? OR 700 - what's the point ? This is like beanie babies or the tulip bulb craze - who cares if you get one today - or in a month or 2? Frankly the winners will be the ones who get it in a month or 2 after the bugs that will assuredly be seen as the users that were not as 'amped' as the beta testers were -to follow protocol. If you didnt get a unit today (I didnt though I applied for one through BRS) - count yourself lucky perhaps?
Agreed, numbers are not relevant. Fair point.
What matter is to see the reviews of the product and when it will be available again.
Full disclosure I am not looking to buy one so am not frustrated that I cannot find one.
I have invested in khg and dastaco A2 CA reactor which was better value for my system.
Recently hooked up a 2nd khg in my frag tank. Still happy with it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved on, but just came back to see what I missed. Lol.

Any chance Neptune is just being cautious? In case some of us dummies figure out how to screw this thing up. It's easier to fix a couple hundred units than a couple thousand. Then there's also the benefit of creating urgency to sell these things. If people know they sell out in 10 mins, they are probably more likely to just hit that buy button if they are on the fence.

I personally think they are just being cautious. Just like releasing a few to trusted people, then 1st round of nsi, then 2nd round of nsi. If any problems pop up they can fix it without being buried.

U

User1

View Badges
I dont believe this. If another company came out with a product that didnt require the type of maintenance here - all else being equal - I cant see why you would answer this way... Not - that said - the likelyhood of that happening - and standing up through time testing - is very slight....

On the diving front - it is life support. Plain and simple. I'm not sure if you are an active diver but they always give you the parts back in separate bags for each item serviced. So BC, regs, watches, dive computer (to include if firmware was upgraded or in some cases downgraded), and lastly any recalls. Every time I look at the various bits and pieces and I can see wear and tear. Cracked O-rings, screens bent, rust or corrosion, etc. These are quality cold water gear also used by the U.S. Navy in some cases (Zeagle and Aqualung). I don't buy the best or most expensive but it is quality gear that I've had for years so I know I've more than paid in service for what I could buy a new one.

Ever been on a cold water dive and someone brings their warm water regulator assuming it will work in colder temps? I've seen them freeze up both in Monterey and more common in Lake Tahoe. Surface may be a nice and warm 63 degrees but once you get down to 100 feet or so the temps drop down to the low 40's. Hate to have a o-ring shrink, or break, or freeze up and then have to do an emergency accent. You not only put your life at risk you now put the dive masters or dive buddy also at risk.

Diving and my point doesn't equate exactly to the trident but it does, in a small way, the service. It is just resetting it back to a known baseline for which they know how many drips, or rotations, or how clear the glass is, etc. So in my mind, based on my other hobby and experience, it is no big deal. Also I have standards indoctrinated in my brain from my military days. PMEL, NDI, explosive distance, nuclear safe and arming, to something simple as a gas mask. Guess what, that gas mask also gets serviced and inspected every 6 months. In combat theater every 6 days. Rain? Inspected again...

So hopefully you do believe me. I am just being honest and I didn't even get into the check list I used when I actively tracked my Mustang. Thursday and Friday are spent going over the car torqueing suspension parts, fluid checks, top offs, and then making sure I had track insurance before I left. I need to be able to walk away both financially and physically if something happens...

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that ANYONE would think it would be smart for a company to provide its entire inventory on day one - when in 12-18 months many if not all of those units are going to come in for maintenence (its common sense that they are releasing them in staggered fashion) - and even if they sold every single one on day one - it makes sense for them to stagger it going forward.

12-18 months is a pretty big range, seems like they'd be trickling in for service throughout that whole period. Don't forget to account for the DIY share that won't get sent in.

I'll probably end up with one eventually :)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diving and my point doesn't equate exactly to the trident ..

Maybe offer a more fitting analogy then? It's hard to believe given two identical results, anyone would choose the option with more expense and effort, regardless of what the product is.

To keep it on topic though, I don't think there's an Alk monitoring solution that is maintenance free. My personal gripe with the maintenance announcement is simply the timing. The release video was the first I heard of it, it felt like fine print, and that someone made the decision to not disclose it earlier. The maintenance isn't a deal breaker for me, I just like more transparency :) 1/3 of the purchase price in maintenance every 2 years is fine if the consumer is aware.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised at a couple things - first - that the units sold out - no matter how many 70 - 100 - 1000 - 1,000,000 units - there was obviously a big demand. Second - I'm surprised that ANYONE would think it would be smart for a company to provide its entire inventory on day one - when in 12-18 months many if not all of those units are going to come in for maintenence (its common sense that they are releasing them in staggered fashion) - and even if they sold every single one on day one - it makes sense for them to stagger it going forward.

Im not a fanboy here - but the comments here seem kind of silly. I didnt get one so ....... I'm mad, etc. I didnt know about this so im.... mad. Its all been said 500 times - why keep repeating it. Hopefully Neptune got the message from the first 500 posts about issue x......?
You are right.
It's like if you have a lemonade stand..who would sell all their lemonade and go make a new patch to sell more and make more money? Logic say, do not sell lemonade, sell just couple of cups and wait.:))

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the diving front - it is life support. Plain and simple. I'm not sure if you are an active diver but they always give you the parts back in separate bags for each item serviced. So BC, regs, watches, dive computer (to include if firmware was upgraded or in some cases downgraded), and lastly any recalls. Every time I look at the various bits and pieces and I can see wear and tear. Cracked O-rings, screens bent, rust or corrosion, etc. These are quality cold water gear also used by the U.S. Navy in some cases (Zeagle and Aqualung). I don't buy the best or most expensive but it is quality gear that I've had for years so I know I've more than paid in service for what I could buy a new one.

Ever been on a cold water dive and someone brings their warm water regulator assuming it will work in colder temps? I've seen them freeze up both in Monterey and more common in Lake Tahoe. Surface may be a nice and warm 63 degrees but once you get down to 100 feet or so the temps drop down to the low 40's. Hate to have a o-ring shrink, or break, or freeze up and then have to do an emergency accent. You not only put your life at risk you now put the dive masters or dive buddy also at risk.

Diving and my point doesn't equate exactly to the trident but it does, in a small way, the service. It is just resetting it back to a known baseline for which they know how many drips, or rotations, or how clear the glass is, etc. So in my mind, based on my other hobby and experience, it is no big deal. Also I have standards indoctrinated in my brain from my military days. PMEL, NDI, explosive distance, nuclear safe and arming, to something simple as a gas mask. Guess what, that gas mask also gets serviced and inspected every 6 months. In combat theater every 6 days. Rain? Inspected again...

So hopefully you do believe me. I am just being honest and I didn't even get into the check list I used when I actively tracked my Mustang. Thursday and Friday are spent going over the car torqueing suspension parts, fluid checks, top offs, and then making sure I had track insurance before I left. I need to be able to walk away both financially and physically if something happens...
I believe you completely - all I said was that IF another company came out with a similar product that did not need to be sent in - it would be more popular (to me). No more no less

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you completely - all I said was that IF another company came out with a similar product that did not need to be sent in - it would be more popular (to me). No more no less

Trident does not “need to be sent in”. I’m not sure where this rumor started.

You have the option to 1. Skip the maintenance all together and deal with the results, 2. Purchase a refresh kit ($100 or less), or 3. Advanced replacement where a refurbished unit is sent to you so you can hot-swap with no downtime.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trident does not “need to be sent in”. I’m not sure where this rumor started.

You have the option to 1. Skip the maintenance all together and deal with the results, 2. Purchase a refresh kit ($100 or less), or 3. Advanced replacement where a refurbished unit is sent to you so you can hot-swap with no downtime.

Right - or you can send it in. Option 3 came out after the initial video - and its a smart way to do it. My guess is that someone was reading the forums - and rightly so. (Or just as likely - the rumor/video that came out and was taken down - was incorrect - leading to an incorrect premise that it had to be sent in. There is STILL the rumor out there though - that once you get a new unit it takes 2-14 days to start to use reliably. I have absolutely no CLUE as to whether thats true - nor do I want to watch a 26 or 50 minute video to find out. I will merely wait for the FAQ to be updated - which I'm sure they will be

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No downtime? I think Terence posted 7-10 days in another thread, but I may be mistaken.

How can there be zero downtime without you having another unit prior to sending yours?

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No downtime? I think Terence posted 7-10 days in another thread, but I may be mistaken.

How can there be zero downtime without you having another unit prior to sending yours?

Woof there is so much misinformation.

They’ve stated on the initial video, in the follow up video last night and on the FAQ that they will “hot swap”.

They will send you a unit, you plug that in and then send your unit back to them.

That means NO downtime.

You can also choose to do it yourself for NO downtime.

Or you can send your unit to them and have downtime.

There are options to fit everyone’s needs.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woof there is so much misinformation.

They’ve stated on the initial video, in the follow up video last night and on the FAQ that they will “hot swap”.

They will send you a unit, you plug that in and then send your unit back to them.

That means NO downtime.

You can also choose to do it yourself for NO downtime.

Or you can send your unit to them and have downtime.

There are options to fit everyone’s needs.
I think what would be interesting is the cost associated with each option...

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Less than $100 for replace it yourself.

Other two options will be between $150-$200

If $100 makes or breaks anyone buying the trident I’d recommend not purchasing it for $600 and putting that money straight in a savings account.

This hobby can be as expensive as you want to make it - automated ALK / CA / MG testing is on the spectrum of LUXURY. It’s going to cost money to get that product from the top controller manufacturer.

It’s 100% not necessary and if you can’t afford it or don’t agree don’t buy it.

I’m not sure what your vendetta is on this thing you’re on every thread complaining / stirring the pot but have openly stated you don’t intend to buy it.

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trident-faq-official.595650/

All of these questions have been answered as a part of the official launch livestream in the FAQ. Prices and details about the maintenance options are not set in stone, but the idea is ~$100 or less for the DIY maintenance kit, and somewhere around $150 - $200 for advanced replacement option. Like I said, things are still in flux.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I asked, thank you for the additional info. I assume it would require holding funds, some kind of shipping fees, hopefully official answers come soon. I know maintenance won't be needed anytime soon, but it would be nice to know prior to purchase.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than $100 for replace it yourself.

Other two options will be between $150-$200

If $100 makes or breaks anyone buying the trident I’d recommend not purchasing it for $600 and putting that money straight in a savings account.

This hobby can be as expensive as you want to make it - automated ALK / CA / MG testing is on the spectrum of LUXURY. It’s going to cost money to get that product from the top controller manufacturer.

It’s 100% not necessary and if you can’t afford it or don’t agree don’t buy it.

I’m not sure what your vendetta is on this thing you’re on every thread complaining / stirring the pot but have openly stated you don’t intend to buy it.
Huh...what wrong with you bud...am Apex customer and also want to know. I like some of their products and do not like others. I do not complain on every forum, that's a lie right there. I mainly vent on this thread. I actually respect their official threads where they propagate informstions..
So if me asking and saying anything about a vendor bother you just ignore me bud... chill and enjoy your Thursday.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the $, it's about being an informed consumer. Why get bothered that someone wants to know what to expect before purchasing something?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the $, it's about being an informed consumer. Why get bothered that someone wants to know what to expect before purchasing something?
Spot on,
Actually my system have tens of thousands $$ worth of sps, I run dastaco reactor, bubble king skimmer, apex controller, 3 hydra 52 HD, khg, automatic zeo reactor I imported from japan...
So as you can see it's not about the money.
I have thrown away hundreds if dollars worth of Neptune modules that I buy and end up not using like fmm, atk, wxm, link1..etc if you want I can send them to you for free btw I still have them in the garage. Lol

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not bothered its just been asked 800 times in this thread, outlined in a videos and a FAQ.

They don’t have specifics but I think they gave people plenty of information to make an informed decision.

My point with the money is they gave people ranges $150-$200 to hot swap. I don’t think a consumer needs the $$$ amount down to the penny if they are buying this item an extra $25 should make no difference in their decision.

Feels like a lot of people are just looking to complain.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not bothered its just been asked 800 times in this thread, outlined in a videos and a FAQ.

They don’t have specifics but I think they gave people plenty of information to make an informed decision.

My point with the money is they gave people ranges $150-$200 to hot swap. I don’t think a consumer needs the $$$ amount down to the penny if they are buying this item an extra $25 should make no difference in their decision.

Feels like a lot of people are just looking to complain.
Even if that's the case you shouldnot take it on yourself man.it just speak to how poor they have planned this....cheers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back