Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im in the middle of cycling my tank with fish in it. Checking the water parameters it seems like the nitrites and ammonia are very high, which obviously it’s supposed to happen, but it seems like it’s really not going down. Is it possible to do a 50% to 75% water change in the middle of cycling? I know I should not rush the cycling, but Im getting a little frustrated with how long is taking for the ammonia and nitrites to go down.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish and what types?

2ppm ammonia is pretty high for the safety of the fish.

I prefer fishless cycles where i can be more exact with the ammonia source/ amount.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish and what types?

2ppm ammonia is pretty high for the safety of the fish.

I prefer fishless cycles where i can be more exact with the ammonia source/ amount.
I have been adding seachem prime. And I know, I made the mistake of adding them to the tank so fast! It was kind of an emergency since I was having problems with the old tank. I have 2 clownfish, a yellow watchman goby , tiger shrimp and 3 turbo snails.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 2, nitrites 2, nitrates 40, ph 7.8

That is not too high for cycling. It is too high for fish. The tank may be very slow to cycle with prime present.

The nitrate is likely lower than that. Nitrite gives a false high nitrate reading with many kits.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wold not do a water change. That is not too high.

The nitrate is likely lower than that. Nitrite gives a false high nitrate reading with many kits.
So just wait it out? And should I keep adding the Seachem Prime every 24 hours like I have been doing?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding seachem prime. And I know, I made the mistake of adding them to the tank so fast! It was kind of an emergency since I was having problems with the old tank. I have 2 clownfish, a yellow watchman goby , tiger shrimp and 3 turbo snails.

The Prime should be helping to detoxify the ammonia. I'd keep using until the ammonia is in a safe range.

Do you have any bacteria in a bottle to throw in there to more rapidly create a nitrifying bacterial colony? Or even a piece of live rock?

You need the ammonia for the cycle, but then it's too high for the fish! BioSpira is a bacteria in a bottle that is easily found at fish stores.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Prime should be helping to detoxify the ammonia. I'd keep using until the ammonia is in a safe range.

Do you have any bacteria in a bottle to throw in there to more rapidly create a nitrifying bacterial colony? Or even a piece of live rock?
Yes I added a couple of live rocks like a week ago? And I used two bottles already of bacteria, I was scared to use more and mess up the cycle lol. Should I buy more and use it? Dr Tims maybe?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I added a couple of live rocks like a week ago? And I used two bottles already of bacteria, I was scared to use more and mess up the cycle lol. Should I buy more and use it? Dr Tims maybe?

Bacteria in a bottle won't mess up the cycle... it will add to it. But, you've already added live rock and a couple of bottles of bacteria already... and your ammonia is still at 2ppm! I guess the fish are constantly adding more ammonia to the system. Sometimes it takes awhile for the bacteria to take off.

Like @Randy Holmes-Farley said... the Prime is probably hindering the bacterial colonization somehow.

At 2ppm ammonia, I would be tempted to do a big water change for the sake of the fish and inverts. Then, add another bottle of bacteria. Maybe then the ammonia will be low enough to allow bacterial colonization AND help keep the fish safe.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not too high for cycling. It is too high for fish. The tank may be very slow to cycle with prime present.

Bacteria in a bottle won't mess up the cycle... it will add to it. But, you've already added live rock and a couple of bottles of bacteria already... and your ammonia is still at 2ppm! I guess the fish are constantly adding more ammonia to the system. Sometimes it takes awhile for the bacteria to take off.

Like @Randy Holmes-Farley said... the Prime is probably hindering the bacterial colonization somehow.

At 2ppm ammonia, I would be tempted to do a big water change for the sake of the fish and inverts. Then, add another bottle of bacteria. Maybe then the ammonia will be low enough to allow bacterial colonization AND help keep the fish safe.
Okay I will buy the bacteria tomorrow. My tank is 55g so how much percentage should I change? 50? ..75 would be pushing it right? Lol

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will buy the bacteria tomorrow. My tank is 55g so how much percentage should I change? 50? ..75 would be pushing it right? Lol
Maybe do 50% and retest where your ammonia is after that... theoretically it would be 1ppm. Also double check your test kit... which one are you using? I've heard the API ammonia test kit does read high. I think i use Red Sea ammonia test kit with my quarantine tanks.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe do 50% and retest where your ammonia is after that... theoretically it would be 1ppm. Also double check your test kit... which one are you using? I've heard the API ammonia test kit does read high. I think i use Red Sea ammonia test kit with my quarantine tanks.

I use API. And should I empty the whole bottle of Dr Tims or Biospora( whatever I find) after the water change? Or by dosing? Sorry so mAny questions, frustration is getting to me, I don’t want my fish to die or be suffering ☹️

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API. And should I empty the whole bottle of Dr Tims or Biospora( whatever I find) after the water change? Or by dosing? Sorry so mAny questions, frustration is getting to me, I don’t want my fish to die or be suffering ☹️
I'd use the whole bottle, depending on the size of it, lol. 4oz vs 8-12oz. Those bottles usually have good directions on them fir recommended use for size of tank.

I have an old bottle of BioSpira (3.38oz) and it says add the whole bottle for up to 30g. You should already have a bunch of bacteria in the system, lol, so that size bottle should be fine.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the whole bottle, depending on the size of it, lol. 4oz vs 8-12oz. Those bottles usually have good directions on them fir recommended use for size of tank.

I have an old bottle of BioSpira (3.38oz) and it says add the whole bottle for up to 30g. You should already have a bunch of bacteria in the system, lol, so that size bottle should be fine.
Lol true ;Hilarious . I will do that. Thank youuu soo much!! I think it will work!!

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with a product called turbo start no#,9 it is live living bacteria I have used live sand and some turbo start and have had my tank cycle almost right away..it is a refrigerated product.$$$ to ship ...alga barn sells it..it would be cheaper if you can buy locally...

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with a product called turbo start no#,9 it is live living bacteria I have used live sand and some turbo start and have had my tank cycle almost right away..it is a refrigerated product.$$$ to ship ...alga barn sells it..it would be cheaper if you can buy locally...
Do you think it’s better than Dr Tims? I will check at the lfs tomorrow and check.

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180410_113730.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back