THEBOOM1011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 75 Gallon Long Tank with 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, a Starry Blenny, a Chalk Bass, 3 Nassarius Snails, and a Blue Hermit. My sandbed depth is not consistent but the depth is 1-5 inches, on average its about 3 inches. My reef tank currently is very peaceful the clownfish do not pay any attention to the other fish, the only "jumpy" one is the smallest Chalk Bass who is probably around 1 inch. I made this post because I needed help/opinions on my livestock plan, and also whether to add another chalk bass or not I will explain why at the bottom. If anyone could help or could give me your opinions that would be much appreciated. Also planning on getting inverts so if any of these fish would murder them please let me know. Also Corals planning on a Mixed Reef mostly softies.
The list will be not be ordered by anything.
  • Dracula Goby pair or Wheelers Goby pair(will be decided by preference of color or if there is something expert about one of the fish) with a Red Banded Pistol Shrimp
  • Diamond Watchman Goby(after the tank has been completely operational for about 7-10 months)
  • McCosker's Flasher Wrasse( I have a tight fitting lid)
  • Pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish(having trouble finding a pair read some horror stories about "bonded pairs" attacking each other as they get older) if anyone knows a good source or how to pair them that would be absolutely appreciated
  • Springer Damselfish(I know "damsels are the devil incarnate" but I've researched these and heard nothing but good things, if you have experience with these please share them)
  • Bluespotted Jawfish(kind of on the fence bc they require lower temps than other fish so any alternatives will be appreciated)
  • Captive Bred Mandarin(in at least a year I plan to get either a pair or just one, I plan to have a refugium set up way before then in order to provide a sustainable source of foods)
  • *Chalk Bass(or another cave dwelling fish like a firefish)
About the Chalk Bass I've been researching and read that they mate for life which idk the accuracy to that but cool nonetheless, kinda don't like the idea of him being alone but I don't know if its too late to make him a pair. If it is then that would be okay would probably give me peace of mind.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
sounds like a pretty thought out list,not sure about chalk bass ,poss eat inverts :)

OP
OP
THEBOOM1011

THEBOOM1011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun...
sounds like a pretty thought out list,not sure about chalk bass ,poss eat inverts :)
Thank you, and I think the chalk bass only eats ones that fit in its mouth or something like that and they apparently only grow 4 inches

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bonded pair thing in Banggai Cardinalfish is mostly due to sexual frustration. The female wants to lay more eggs while the male is still holding eggs, or something like that. Check the breeding forum for a guide on how to accurately sex them. Oh, and do your best to source a captive bred pair.

Instead of a bluespot jawfish, why not a pearl jawfish/yellow jawfish instead? Those are tropical I think...

I'm also fairly certain that basslets are bidirectional hermaphrodites. You should be fine with adding a smaller individual for breeding purposes, but I'm not sure if they'll swim together or not.

OP
OP
THEBOOM1011

THEBOOM1011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bonded pair thing in Banggai Cardinalfish is mostly due to sexual frustration. The female wants to lay more eggs while the male is still holding eggs, or something like that. Check the breeding forum for a guide on how to accurately sex them. Oh, and do your best to source a captive bred pair.

Instead of a bluespot jawfish, why not a pearl jawfish/yellow jawfish instead? Those are tropical I think...

I'm also fairly certain that basslets are bidirectional hermaphrodites. You should be fine with adding a smaller individual for breeding purposes, but I'm not sure if they'll swim together or not.
Yeah on Live Aquaria they have Captive Bred pairs but I'll try to find one at my LFS that's a pair to.
I was thinking about them and I think they are hardy and just better behavior wise then Bluespots.
I don't really plan on breeding anytime soon, only cause im not really capable of it so if they won't display any "pair behavior" than its better to not risk the health of smaller bass, maybe I should get a firefish or something.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back