Feeding flasher wrasse

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a Carpenter Flasher Wrasse in QT right now. He's eating LRS great right now. I've heard they need to be fed several times a day, which I'm doing right now but Later this year I won't be home to feed multiple times a day. If I have a healthy pod population do I need to feed multiple times a day?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Several small feedings per day are ideal for smaller fish in general, especially those with higher metabolisms. For what it’s worth, I feed mine once per day only and keep sexeral of these fish. Nori is available throughout the day and hungry fish, even wrasse will chow down on it.

evolved

The Wrasse Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
An auto feeder with sinking pellets is the way to go.

I feed frozen twice a day and use an auto feeder once per day. When I'm away on vacation I'll just turn the auto feeder to twice or three times a day.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
I use an auto feeder with refrigerated foods dosed using a multi head dosing pump. Roe 3x per day and mysis 3x per day plus 2 supplemental feedings by hand with lrs. Not super difficult to build if you (like me) enjoy having cool diy projects.

If not, an auto pellet like mentioned above is awesome and will do the job great. flasher and fairy Wrasses (in my experience) are not picky eaters. If you plan on adding anthias or cardinals, you will likely want to go with some kind of auto feeder.

I've kept wrasses in tanks that I only feed once per day, as well and they did fine too.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed frozen every hour when I am home, but have an auto feeder for 2_'s a day when I am at work.

OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Sounds like an automated feeder is in my future. Thanks for all the advice!

Day 3 and the carpenter wrasse seems to be recognizing that when I come into the room food might be offered and she comes out looking for it. Good sign. Time for a water change and starting the prazipro.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Recommendations on a particular brand of an "auto feeder"? Features to look for? Problems to avoid?

evolved

The Wrasse Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Recommendations on a particular brand of an "auto feeder"? Features to look for? Problems to avoid?
I've used Neptune's since it came out and it's been great, but that only helps you if you have an Apex.

Otherwise, Eheim makes a good one.

Corals.com

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
The eheim feeder is a workhorse for automated feeding.

Kyl

I make sponsors cry
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed my blue flasher twice a day in the frag tank, but it's eating pretty much everything so that should make things a lot easier with an autofeeder. It's my first flasher, but if it's anything like the fairy wrasses they will even eat nori, as @4FordFamily mentioned.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
I've never seen mine (also a P. cyaneus) eat nori, but he eats pretty much everything else.

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
You have already received sage advice from the undisputed wrasse experts. So I will only add this link to the Intellifeed Fish Feeder. It's similar to the Neptune feeder mentioned above, however, it doesn't require a controller. I'd buy the power adapter if you decide to employ this option.

Happy Reefing

Dburr1014

View Badges
Reaction score
My Wrasse picks on pods all day. I only feed my fish once per day and it's at random times. The Wrasse excepts everything I throw in. All are very healthy.

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed my fish once a day. They've never complained. ;)

How happy are you with the lighting "color" of your saltwater aquarium?

• 10 (extremely happy)

Votes: 72 17.4%

Votes: 51 12.3%

Votes: 87 21.0%

Votes: 92 22.2%

Votes: 45 10.9%

Votes: 31 7.5%

Votes: 18 4.3%

Votes: 8 1.9%

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 1 (hate it)

Votes: 7 1.7%