FIJI MUD?

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using fiji mud in my sump. Not miracle mud or mineral mud. This is the fiji mud from Walt Smith. Supposedly it's mud straight from the ocean in fiji.

I bought some but am not sure I want to use it.

Anybody here used it?

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all theoretically the same....mud full of marine microfauna

I know. I'm just trying to figure out if i want it in my tank.

I've read reviews where people love it but admit they aren't sure exactly what it's doing for them and reviews where people claim crazy algae breakouts after putting it it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I'm just trying to figure out if i want it in my tank.

I've read reviews where people love it but admit they aren't sure exactly what it's doing for them and reviews where people claim crazy algae breakouts after putting it it.
Yea I would be taking those reviews with a grain of salt if they supposidly love it so much but have no clue what its doing for them lol.

Microfauna are an essential part of reef building blocks and if you dont have any, mud will benefit you.
If you have an established system with real live rock thats matured with lots of critters, likely the mud will be doing very little to add to your already robust biodiversity.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would be taking those reviews with a grain of salt if they supposidly love it so much but have no clue what its doing for them lol.

Microfauna are an essential part of reef building blocks and if you dont have any, mud will benefit you.
If you have an established system with real live rock thats matured with lots of critters, likely the mud will be doing very little to add to your already robust biodiversity.

True. My tank is new but all liverock straight out of the ocean...probably not necessary

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mud wouldnt hurt brother :)
And if you decide to use a refugium some rooting plants would appreciate the mud too. Dont forget to cap it in gravel!
Tbh I'm a bit scared of having a algae or cyano outbreak as those are the negative some people have claimed.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I'm a bit scared of having a algae or cyano outbreak as those are the negative some people have claimed.
Everyones tank is different.
Algae and cyano come with the territory of starting a reef, sometimes even come back later in a matured reef.
Gotta keep everything in check after they have their blooms. Imo if you have a nutrient export plan, the mud wouldnt hurt a bit.
If you arent exporting effiecently enough, excess nutrients could start to build up and cause these issues you hear about.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyones tank is different.
Algae and cyano come with the territory of starting a reef, sometimes even come back later in a matured reef.
Gotta keep everything in check after they have their blooms. Imo if you have a nutrient export plan, the mud wouldnt hurt a bit.
If you arent exporting effiecently enough, excess nutrients could start to build up and cause these issues you hear about.
True.
So you suggest toping it woth gravel?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What if I have mangroves? Will the do the same?
you will need alot of mangroves for nutrient export. your better off using chaeto , mud is beneficial for trace elements and the micro bio-life that exists will help ultimately to mature your tank faster, offering life that is not found on rocks or sand.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need alot of mangroves for nutrient export. your better off using chaeto , mud is beneficial for trace elements and the micro bio-life that exists will help ultimately to mature your tank faster, offering life that is not found on rocks or sand.

I have chaeto too. Plan to have pom pom as well. The mangroves are more an experiment as I'm curious how much they will assist with co2/provide o2...also I like the look

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back