Filling My 24 gal Cube

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've had my 24 gal JBJ Nanocube up since late August/early September and I'm really enjoying this hobby. Right now I have a sixline wrasse, a black snowflake clown, and a tailspot blenny, as well as a good size cuc made up of two emerald crabs, a bunch of hermits, and a wide variety of snails. I also have corals that are doing well. I know I'm about at capacity for more fish, so I was wondering what you all would recommend to finish things off, knowing what is already in there. Thank you!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the six line Wrasse adding any more fish could be difficult those Wrasse are prone for aggressive territorial behavior, in nanos especially. What about a cool shrimp. I love my skunk cleaner shrimp. Or a trachyphillia! This coral can be fed like an anemone and are very exciting to watch

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the six line Wrasse adding any more fish could be difficult those Wrasse are prone for aggressive territorial behavior, in nanos especially. What about a cool shrimp. I love my skunk cleaner shrimp. Or a trachyphillia! This coral can be fed like an anemone and are very exciting to watch
My wrasse was the first one in the tank and hasn't had any issues with the other two fish, but I do like the shrimp idea!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse was the first one in the tank and hasn't had any issues with the other two fish, but I do like the shrimp idea!
Okay and that’s good to hear your Wrasse is getting along I just can’t inform against what’s most common but there’s many cases where people have different experiences. The cleaner shrimp is really active and isn’t as shy as say a smaller peppermint shrimp. They look pretty cool under blue lighting too!

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay and that’s good to hear your Wrasse is getting along I just can’t inform against what’s most common but there’s many cases where people have different experiences. The cleaner shrimp is really active and isn’t as shy as say a smaller peppermint shrimp. They look pretty cool under blue lighting too!
I'll do some reading on them and see if I think they'd work out! Thank you for the advice :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan coral is really neat coral and does very well in tanks.

I’ll never have a skunk shrimp in my tank again. As mine got bigger it became more aggressive for food. I would spot feed it and it dropped its food and would rip food out of the corals stomachs. Nice looking and active. I would spot feed that thing three times a week.

What about a starfish/ brittle star.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll never have a skunk shrimp in my tank again. As mine got bigger it became more aggressive for food. I would spot feed it and it dropped its food and would rip food out of the corals stomachs. Nice looking and active. I would spot feed that thing three times a week.

I was under the impression that starfish weren't reef safe?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
204173DE-E22D-44FA-B81C-748064E32645.jpeg
Some are some are not. Brittle stars are a good cuc. My black brittle star has been in the tank since I started it up 3 yrs ago.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @NowGlazeIT with the analysis of the 6 line. If you add any more fish it may kill the new addition. Just because it is playing nice with the tankmates , doesn’t mean it will play nice with a new addition. There are exceptions.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
204173DE-E22D-44FA-B81C-748064E32645.jpeg
Some are some are not. Brittle stars are a good cuc. My black brittle star has been in the tank since I started it up 3 yrs ago.
He's beautiful! I'll definitely do some reading and see if I can pick one up somewhere; I really like the black coloration.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is a red starfish. Can supplement diet with algea wafers and sheet algea.
95A77281-26BC-4B7D-BD8C-A81743474BC0.png

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's beautiful! I'll definitely do some reading and see if I can pick one up somewhere; I really like the black coloration.
They hide a lot but I see arms sticking all the time. they clean the rocks of detritus and get to where other animals can’t.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Black brittle star is pretty neat but hides the most of our serpent stars.
Maybe a harlequin serpent star or one of the red bodied or orange body serpent stars.
Lol, not the green one or the yellow one. they get huge and eat fish.

cajunreef985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol thats awesome (a greedy Jacques LOL i love invertabrates!)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back