maryocean7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. We are about 1 month now into the hobby and made a list of fishes we would potentially like to have. We obviously know a lot of these we won't be able to get but would like your opinion on what we can or should not get, problems they may cause or alternatives. Now we do want to keep corals in our tank as well so if anyone has a suggestion of what would be good to start with also would be appreciated.
Our tank is the Waterbox AIO 65.4 gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

P.S ignore the symbols

Dimensions. 1200 x 500 x 450mm
20220213_101750.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. We are about 1 month now into the hobby and made a list of fishes we would potentially like to have. We obviously know a lot of these we won't be able to get but would like your opinion on what we can or should not get, problems they may cause or alternatives. Now we do want to keep corals in our tank as well so if anyone has a suggestion of what would be good to start with also would be appreciated.
Our tank is 65 gallons. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again everyone!

20220213_101750.jpg
What do the seperate symbols mean?
Also the dimensions would be helpful!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1200 x 500 x 450mm
Ignore the symbols that was just for ourselves
Thanks!

So, if I’m correct it’s a little under 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot.

I personally would do:

Jawfish
Three of the gobies (Sharknose, fire fish and one of the two Sand sifters)
CBA
Dragonet
The Pink Streak Wrasse and possibly a Halichoeres wrasse
Blenny
RG

I would start with those since they’ll get along with eachother then when you start knowing how to deal with aggression and harder fish Id go into things like CBBs, Tilefish, Tangs ect.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion. I'm sure others will differ.

Coral Beauty: No, can be aggressive and eat coral. Tank volume is on small side.
Gramma: Yes, but you need to have good rock work, no NSA.
Tailspot Blenny: Yes, good to have micro algae growing and established tank.
Bangaii: Yes, cool if you can pair, pairs do not like others generally, so 2 or 1.
Green Chromis: Need extensive QT. They have rampant uronema. QT 1+ months min.
Clownfish: Mine have always turned aggressive, attacked others, and ended up removed.
Firefish: Yes, but prone to hiding. My pair rarely come out of cave (may have eggs).
Dottyback: No, known to be aggressive.
Filefish: No opinion. Never had one.
Dragonet: No opinion. Never had one. Check if they eat regular food, or only pods.
Sharknose: I think I read someone removed theirs, was constantly biting on other fish.
Watchman: Ok, make sure it has a cave.
Diamond: 50/50. Digs sand all day and can cover corals. Some don't care, others removed.
Jawfish: No opinion, never had one.
Flame Hawk: Yes, one of my favorites.
Longnose: No, got aggressive, had to remove.
Yellow Tang: No, tank volume to small. Mine's in 130g, and I think that's too small.
Pink Streaked: Yes, mine is a perfect reef fish.
Cleaner Wrase: No, I think that fish needs to be kept on the reef for proper diet.
Cleaner Shrimp: Yes, but can be a nuisance when feeding, Flame Hawk can be enemy.
Hermits: Maybe. I think more people dislike. Under fed, they'll eat whatever (snails).
Snails: Trocus. Astrea can't get up after falling over. Nerites lay white eggs every where.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a file fish. They are they often not reef safe. Mine is fine though or I have so much coral, I do not notice it.

You might be able to do a yellow tang. The tank is at a size where some people say yes and others no. I have a yellow tang in a larger tank. Tangs tend to use all the space they can. I also have a Kole Tang. The Ctenochaetus tangs supposedly need less space than the zebrasoma tangs so most of them would be fine in your tank.

I have had pearl jawfish. Mine were a hoot. They set up territories with an agreed upon border. They made their burrows and carefully decorated the entrances with small and highly prized stones. The thing was that they coveted the other jawfishes pebbles and stole them when the other fish was not looking and that produced hot pursuits and border clashes but no damage. Jawfish really should have some pretty coarse gravel and some reasonably deep sand at least in some of the tank. So that might not be what you want to do.

Dottyback - yeh I have one and it is aggressive. Luckily, it is in a large tank and the other fish are far larger so they just are too big for it to fool with. But it could be a problem. Also, mine tends to lurk in the rock work and only come out for food.

Dragonet - they are reputed to be eaters of live food only. You want one that will take frozen or dried foods. I understand that they need to eat constantly in small amounts and that might be a problem. But fish tend to have low metabolic rates and I think if you get one that eats well, it will be fine.

Hermits - they tend to murder things for the shells when they grow. Also, they murder things for food and they decide if they are hungry.

Snails - the problem with snails is if they fall over, they cannot right themselves (usually). You just to keep an eye out for this. I have a long plastic rod for turning them over so I don’t have to do a deep dive into the tank to turn them. I like getting the smallest turbo snails I can find. They tend to be hardy and good algae controllers. But there are other kinds of snails that are just fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Other.

Back