OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to throw my UV back on the tank, as my water looks a little cloudy even with a sock on the system for a couple of days. Thinking it’s a small bacterial bloom. Well see.

7E312902-E6DB-445C-BFE8-523743766DF7.jpeg

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question does putting lights higher from water really affect how deep the light reaches the bottom I have a tall tank and I have 2 300w leds hanging 6 inches from water but I have a darker spot in the middle of my tank I know raising lights would take care of that but I'm worried the light won't reach bottom of my tank as good But is it really a huge difference enough to affect it drastically really don't like the dark spot but just worried about light not reaching bottom enough

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question does putting lights higher from water really affect how deep the light reaches the bottom I have a tall tank and I have 2 300w leds hanging 6 inches from water but I have a darker spot in the middle of my tank I know raising lights would take care of that but I'm worried the light won't reach bottom of my tank as good But is it really a huge difference enough to affect it drastically really don't like the dark spot but just worried about light not reaching bottom enough

While lenses do help light penetrate deeper, the only way to know how much light is reaching the bottom is with a lux or par meter. It’s the only way to know for sure.

Pulling lenses helps with shadowing or can eliminate it all together.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some older pictures of the build that i couldn't find when i started the thread. Its like going back in time all over again!

"Old 125 gallon" sump. pulling out the overflows!
IMAG0393.jpg

Base of DT stand.
IMAG0493.jpg

Framed DT stand.
IMAG0503.jpg

Skinned.
IMAG0543.jpg

Trimmed.
IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0572.jpg

Now this next picture has some explaining to do! It was very hot here at the time i started painting the DT stand and i had just finished the canopy and i had both in the garage. Now the wife looked at the canopy and the DT stand and said " the finish looks different on the stand than the canopy". After she said that, I realized she was right. So, being it was like 100+ degrees in the garage, i ran out and shot the DT stand once again. After that coat it matched the canopy.

What i didnt realize was this:
IMAG0570.jpg

It took her (god bless her soul!) an half hour to scrub my feet clean! Tickled like the heck the whole time! lol

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the bucketless water change. I have the same plan for my 125 gallon basement sump (180 Dt in room directly above- in wall between office and living room).

Question about your sump- looks like it’s 2 chambers? Nice wide bubble trap for the heaters (awesome idea) Leading into a huge return section with live rock. Do you run a remote fuge in addition?

Have you enclosed the sump into a fishroom or is it open to the rest of basement? Any worries about added humidity and saltwater corrosion of tools etc stored down there?

I’m going to be walling my equipment off and plan to have an in-line vent fan exporting humid air directly outside.

Cheers!
Thanks for any info.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the bucketless water change. I have the same plan for my 125 gallon basement sump (180 Dt in room directly above- in wall between office and living room).

Question about your sump- looks like it’s 2 chambers? Nice wide bubble trap for the heaters (awesome idea) Leading into a huge return section with live rock. Do you run a remote fuge in addition?

Have you enclosed the sump into a fishroom or is it open to the rest of basement? Any worries about added humidity and saltwater corrosion of tools etc stored down there?

I’m going to be walling my equipment off and plan to have an in-line vent fan exporting humid air directly outside.

Cheers!
Thanks for any info.

No remote refugium. Basement is wide open, unfinished. No issues with humidity.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, while back I put the UV on the system and the next day water was crystal clear. Have kept the UV on line, but with the lamp off just in case I need to fire it back up. All is good.

Back