OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat, if anything do you plan tonight do with the info?

Having worked with next generation technologies very closely since their inception- it’s all very well being able to see what’s there, but theres very little actionable (zero, really) information available. Even in the biomedical sphere, where this stuff has been going on for 12 years, there are very few actionable results that inform, eg, drug treatment or the like. Plus- it’s all about relative ratios and healthy ecosystem dynamics

My bet is, there will be very little consensus between similar tanks and each tank has its own unique blend of magic bacteria and viruses.

Cool seeing ‘work tech’ get into the hobby area, though

Have you seen this?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen this?

Yes.

Having worked with the technology in a patient treatment setting, there are non-trivial issues that make data analysis and implementation very problematic- for one example, no one knows what a ‘healthy’ tanks microbiome is composed of. Since each tank is a distinct unique ecosystem, it’s extremely difficult to group tanks together to create statistically significant numbers for the bacterial species present and their relative numbers.

I think it’s particularly interesting that the main grouping characteristic for the populations is ‘owner’ , or that there are no ‘fowlr’ Or non-marine tank controls. It’s a good demonstration that the tech can sample from a tank and provide data, but there are a number of controls missing that should have been included.

But I’m saying that as a career scientist that looks at those types of graphs but with thousands of data points from human patients, so I’m undoubtably biased in my level of critical analysis

Last edited:

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

Having worked with the technology in a patient treatment setting, there are non-trivial issues that make data analysis and implementation very problematic- for one example, no one knows what a ‘healthy’ tanks microbiome is composed of. Since each tank is a distinct unique ecosystem, it’s extremely difficult to group tanks together to create statistically significant numbers for the bacterial species present and their relative numbers.

I think it’s particularly interesting that the main grouping characteristic for the populations is ‘owner’ , or that there are no ‘fowlr’ Or non-marine tank controls. It’s a good demonstration that the tech can sample from a tank and provide data, but there are a number of controls missing that should have been included.

But I’m saying that as a career scientist that looks at those types of graphs but with thousands of data points from human patients, so I’m undoubtably biased in my level of critical analysis

Aquabiomics is run by an accomplished scientist, who has been doing this type of experimental work for 20 years in an academic research setting. He is proceeding with this work using a similar methodology and approach to how the microbiome has been sampled from natural reef environments. He has run experiments with relevant controls, but may add more types in future runs. He'll be posting a series of articles on his work on R2R over the next few months, that I think you will find very interesting. Sure, the initial samples are small, but with every microbiome sampling run that posts to his database, we will learn more about the microbial ecology of our tanks. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. :)

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquabiomics is run by an accomplished scientist, who has been doing this type of experimental work for 20 years in an academic research setting. He is proceeding with this work using a similar methodology and approach to how the microbiome has been sampled from natural reef environments. He has run experiments with relevant controls, but may add more types in future runs. He'll be posting a series of articles on his work on R2R over the next few months, that I think you will find very interesting. Sure, the initial samples are small, but with every microbiome sampling run that posts to his database, we will learn more about the microbial ecology of our tanks. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. :)
Cool to see this getting serious, professional attention. Look forward to the articles!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, update: it's that time of year again to replace my RO/DI cartridges. I have the BRS 5 stage unit. Been thinking of upgrading to their pro series by adding two more cartridges and resins, but I'm riding the fence on it. My mix bed resin lasts a great deal of time and actually out lasts my prefilter and carbon blocks. During their use, the resin burns about half way up in six months of use. Tds coming in is around 3 and out is always 0.

The thing that may concern me is silica. I'm concerned that it's bleeding out or through the mix bed. Going pro series may be way over kill.

So the other option would be as assurance would be adding a second mix bed cartridge. This would make it a 6 stage. I'm leaning towards this option.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, update: it's that time of year again to replace my RO/DI cartridges. I have the BRS 5 stage unit. Been thinking of upgrading to their pro series by adding two more cartridges and resins, but I'm riding the fence on it. My mix bed resin lasts a great deal of time and actually out lasts my prefilter and carbon blocks. During their use, the resin burns about half way up in six months of use. Tds coming in is around 3 and out is always 0.

The thing that may concern me is silica. I'm concerned that it's bleeding out or through the mix bed. Going pro series may be way over kill.

So the other option would be as assurance would be adding a second mix bed cartridge. This would make it a 6 stage. I'm leaning towards this option.
Waiting for crabs to come in with the Kermit sith meme...

Any moment now...

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Water change day.

I finally made a decision to buy another RO/DI canister and new filters for the unit. Going with two Di resin chambers with mix bed resin. It's just a precaution as I believe my Di resin is allowing silica to slip by. No proof, just a hunch.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least the upgrade will ease the deterioration of all your cartridges/membranes/resins. Plus, with this hobby any small peace of mind u can engineer into your husbandry/maintenance protocol is always a sigh of relief.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better safe than sorry on the silica for the RO/DI; hope it works out well. Not to mention excited to see the results of the microbe testing! I guess maybe look specifically for diatoms - that could be indicative of a silica issue.

Shipping says today delivery on the new filters and cartridges. Anxious to get it installed before the weekend so I can make water for a water change!

Not sure if the microbial test will test for diatoms. I have to look at the list of microbes that they test for.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Flippers at 6 stage!

IMG_20191120_183759.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back