jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding a uv sterilizer to my fluval evo. I do not have any major algae outbreaks beyond what is typical such as some green hair algae (tank is 5 months) and normal algae build up on the sides of glass. I also have a BTA and one soft coral which are doing amazing. Should I add the UV sterilizer to decrease algae build up when doing routine cleaning or is this a bad idea? Also, if a UV sterilizer is a good idea, what are some good options out there? Thank you.

RZGreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and had a dinos outbreak at one point. Fortunately they were the kind that can be eradicated with UV. I used the Innovative Marine Aquashield 9W Desktop model. It fits in the first chamber vertically. However, the top plate is a little smaller than the chamber opening so I had to use a little filter floss to fill in that area. All in all, it worked great.

OP
OP
J

jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and had a dinos outbreak at one point. Fortunately they were the kind that can be eradicated with UV. I used the Innovative Marine Aquashield 9W Desktop model. It fits in the first chamber vertically. However, the top plate is a little smaller than the chamber opening so I had to use a little filter floss to fill in that area. All in all, it worked great.
How often do you have to replace the bulb? And is it good for combatting other types of algae such as cyano?

RZGreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to replace the bulb? And is it good for combatting other types of algae such as cyano?

According to the manual, the bulb is rated for "9-12 months", but that's under continuous use. I don't use it that way. I ran it when I had the dinos, and one other time when I noticed a bacterial bloom - so maybe a total of 10 days or so of use in close to a year of owning it. I've not used it for cyano eradication, but supposedly UV works for that too. I don't run it continuously because I don't want it killing off other potentially good things in the water column. I've read UV can affect copepod population, for example. With my use, I expect the bulb to last for years. The bulbs are only $25, so I may buy an extra one and keep it as a future backup. The innovative marine website has the manual for it online too if you'd like to take a look.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 25w Uv on my 80g system. I have the flow rate down to level 2 sterilization (parasite treatment levels). I run it 24/7. IME, it cleared my dinos in a couple days, slowed the spread of algae (GHA patches expand but don’t crop up in new areas as often), made the water significantly clearer, and cut back glass cleaning to every few days instead of twice a day.

I’m a fan.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back