OP
SMaggart

SMaggart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eyes look a bit cloudy, how's it doing now?
We lost him last night. He stopped breathing and lost most of his color. No signs of being spiked by my foxface. Just cannot understand what happened. He was my prettiest fish. 1st loss in a couple years (except what my grouper ate @ 2).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost him last night. He stopped breathing and lost most of his color. No signs of being spiked by my foxface. Just cannot understand what happened. He was my prettiest fish. 1st loss in a couple years (except what my grouper ate @ 2).

Sorry for your loss. There are many underlying conditions that we don't know. Fish today are exposed to much chemical attack through collection to excessively medicating by hobbyist. The use of tank cleaners and other additives. That why I ask you his complete history. If he had been collected by chemicals, something you likely would not know. The extent he was exposed to the drug cocktails most of the collectors, wholesalers, and lfs use. The drug treatment that the hobyist use and usage of tank cleaners which are so popular today. All these things take a toll on the internal organs and lifespan of the fish. Then it only takes a stessor; the ph swing and O2 depletion from the buffer or even as simple as a move.

So my advice is to always try and source your fish from people that don't buy from chemically caught sources, and don't buy from people that run drug cocktails in their system. You as a hobbyist only use meds when it is life or death, and refrain from using any and all additions. There was a day when all the fish you kept would at least be with you a decade, and many times more.

OP
OP
SMaggart

SMaggart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. There are many underlying conditions that we don't know. Fish today are exposed to much chemical attack through collection to excessively medicating by hobbyist. The use of tank cleaners and other additives. That why I ask you his complete history. If he had been collected by chemicals, something you likely would not know. The extent he was exposed to the drug cocktails most of the collectors, wholesalers, and lfs use. The drug treatment that the hobyist use and usage of tank cleaners which are so popular today. All these things take a toll on the internal organs and lifespan of the fish. Then it only takes a stessor; the ph swing and O2 depletion from the buffer or even as simple as a move.

So my advice is to always try and source your fish from people that don't buy from chemically caught sources, and don't buy from people that run drug cocktails in their system. You as a hobbyist only use meds when it is life or death, and refrain from using any and all additions. There was a day when all the fish you kept would at least be with you a decade, and many times more.
Thank you Lion king for your kind words and good suggestions. Yes I don’t like putting anything in the tank, I learned that when I got a fish (tang) from an aquarium shop that got stressed and wiped nearly all my fish out from Velvet. My foxface actually survived it and the copper treatment. I won’t use anything but salt & ph buffer till now. No more buffer. I have fishmox but have never used it before & that’s why I came here to ask advice. I purchased Capone from Saltwateraquarium.com in CA 3 yrs ago. I’m carefully watching my other kids for any signs of distress. So far everyone is active & eating/grazing. Thank you for your great advice and ideas. You have been very helpful. :)

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Cloudy eyes is usually bacterial. A broad based nitrofurazone treatment may have done the trick.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back