Ge silicone

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I was wondering if this silicone I used to reseal my tank can't be used. My tank has been setup since December. I had a cyano issue because of some pukani I believe were leaching phosphates. Took them out and used chemi clean twice and so far so good. I have a couple of fish (pair of clowns, chromis, yellow tang, sail fin and flame angel) that are doing fine but I'm having trouble keeping snails but crabs are fine. I have recently read that silicone 2 causes crashes etc. and would like to know if maybe it's the silicone. I'm trying to identify the problem. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy the stuff from your LFS....
I have heard that the GE is fine but you need to wait until there is NO SMELL before using the tank (Full curing times vary depending in climate)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine 100% silicone

Yup, +1. But certainly need to let it gas off at least 1 week, 2 is better. Silicon especially in between two glass panes needs time to fully cure and gas off.

jmt1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my tank, all my research pointed me in the direction of GE I and NOT GE II because of the mold free additives.

I'm not sure about the validity of it, but that's what my I found while researching.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mold free = bad.
Unless it specifically says "aquarium safe" I would not use it. You are not saving money if you kill everything in your tank.

OP
OP
RickG

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed in December , if I could back I would obviously get it from my LFS. I'm just wondering if it's safe or not lol. Research points to that it isn't, I'm getting mixed feedback and my fish are fine. So idk if I should be waiting for a crash or not

hbetanzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine.. I used 2 years ago to seal my 40 gallon tank... and have no problems... I did he whole tank my self!!!
f9e8e57065c16b4f8a223c9496427d8d.jpg

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re sealed a 90 that I just got with the black silicone 1. I still have to get the tank glass cleaned up and a sump and such so im sure I will be way over two weeks before I have water in it. Nice looking reef hbetanzo!

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back