Giant worm! What is this?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea however all the bizarre critters creep me & intrigue me at the same time !

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea however all the bizarre critters creep me & intrigue me at the same time !
@cracker Come swimming with me. I took my kids to the beach and saw hundreds, if not thousands of fire worms!

B1EBA15A-3949-4D48-9BDC-6C89CCD489CB.jpeg

E617F0F9-D74A-4F16-B9C0-3278507F419B.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to take a PADI diving course. On their website, they have lots of photos of the wildlife in our waters. Bad part is, not too many corals. In the summer, algae blooms prevent enough light from reaching the bottom. And the visibility is bad due to having silty water. Here’s the link with photos. Interesting though.

https://www.prodiver-hk.com/hong-kong-underwater-photos

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to take a PADI diving course. On their website, they have lots of photos of the wildlife in our waters. Bad part is, not too many corals. In the summer, algae blooms prevent enough light from reaching the bottom. And the visibility is bad due to having silty water. Here’s the link with photos. Interesting though.
https://www.prodiver-hk.com/hong-kong-underwater-photos
Loads of pollution prob contributes to the algea

Last edited:

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice any details on the worm, like segments or eyes or anything? That might help to ID it. But I'll be honest that thing is super creepy and gross and a whole lot of NOPE!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had something like this years ago - in a 55 gallon tank. I turned on the light one night - and out swims a bright blue worm about 2.5 feet long. I never saw it again - but always was nervous putting my hands anywhere near that tank. It could be a tapeworm - or nematode parasite of some type that came out of your fish

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like this years ago - in a 55 gallon tank. I turned on the light one night - and out swims a bright blue worm about 2.5 feet long. I never saw it again - but always was nervous putting my hands anywhere near that tank. It could be a tapeworm - or nematode parasite of some type that came out of your fish
Oh, heck no...

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg that so gross. I would have burned the house down and said " bye felicia". I can stand bugs and spiders and roaches but worms are all kinds of nope.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a good closeup it almost looks like a bloodworm...good bait on the beach for smaller stuff. They can regrow a worm fromba cut off section.

OP
OP
UCF Alum

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a good closeup it almost looks like a bloodworm...good bait on the beach for smaller stuff. They can regrow a worm fromba cut off section.

But where would it come from?
I’m still thinking that one of the fish coughed it up. One end was much darker and almost had prong like parts on its body. Thinking that it might have used the fish as a host and when it outgrew it’s home, it exited through the mouth. All fish are healthy and showing no signs of distress.
This has been the only conclusion I have been able to come up with.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But where would it come from?
I’m still thinking that one of the fish coughed it up. One end was much darker and almost had prong like parts on its body. Thinking that it might have used the fish as a host and when it outgrew it’s home, it exited through the mouth. All fish are healthy and showing no signs of distress.
This has been the only conclusion I have been able to come up with.
Anything that came into your tank “wet”. Most organisms start out microscopically. Even dipping doesn’t take care of everything. Nor does quarantining.

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a smaller version of something like this that was nested in my pod hotel, and came loose when I shook it in the tank. My wrasse went WILD for it and ate it within a second.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back