Gravid Acropora

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He answered that in post #13. Interesting about the Benepets. I’m going to keep this method in mind.
Thank you I totally missed that one. I've been wanting to give oysterfeast a try. Years ago I used DTs oyster eggs and acros seemed to really like it.

Pablo Easyreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-20220130-WA0030.jpg

Congratulations, it is very special when you see your corals in reproduction, we observe the same proccess the last month in tank with easyreefs

Attachments

• IMG-20220129-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220129-WA0010.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 37
  • VID-20220130-WA0024.mp4
    2 MB
OP
OP
C. Eymann

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He answered that in post #13. Interesting about the Benepets. I’m going to keep this method in mind.
Take in consideration with Benepets that in order to observe the phosphate reduction it needs to be a mature/ packed full of coral system with a good skimmer.
However, even in a newer/ more sparse stocked aquariums Benepets won't raise your phosphate as much as foods like Reef roids / chili etc etc.
I like Benepets because of it's use of heterotrophic bacteria strains that not only help assimilate N/P but also act as a food source as well, as corals feed a lot on bacteria / flocculant.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take in consideration with Benepets that in order to observe the phosphate reduction it needs to be a mature/ packed full of coral system with a good skimmer.
However, even in a newer/ more sparse stocked aquariums Benepets won't raise your phosphate as much as foods like Reef roids / chili etc etc.
I like Benepets because of it's use of heterotrophic bacteria strains that not only help assimilate N/P but also act as a food source as well, as corals feed a lot on bacteria / flocculant.
Good to know, thanks. My current tank is new.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This colony is under Radion G4,pros, we don't make any seasonal changes to photoperiod, No moonlights, the farm is pretty much pitch black during the night, minus the small amount of light pollution via MP/ vortech pump controllers.
Temperature runs 77-78 but during the summer it can kiss 80-81.
That may be just enough of a seasonal temperature swing to trigger spawning. 81.5 F is quoted as the lowest cutoff for spawn induction on the Great Barrier Reef. Apparently Acropora spawning correlates to the month with the biggest upward temperature gradient swing. So by example, 78 F in May to 81.5 F in June may trigger spawning in Acropora.

Light intensity variation, moon light cycles, tides, wind speed, nutritional status, bleaching history, and water depth (inshore vs offshore) can also play significant roles in spawn timing/induction.

Non-acroporids are all over the map for what triggers spawning, with some corals having one or two day yearly spawns to others spawning monthly (ahem, Pocillopora).

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that fragging introduce stress to the coral that effects the egg release in any way? I wouldn’t image they’d like being chopped while making eggs?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that fragging introduce stress to the coral that effects the egg release in any way? I wouldn’t image they’d like being chopped while making eggs?
Yes, but as long as it isn’t extensive fragging or a very small colony, you’ll probably still get a spawn.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back