HANNAH-API-RED SEA weird results!!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity???
It's a test that is really the most important, and should be done more often that most. If you want stability chase Alkalinity, then Ca and Mg in that order. All 3 work together
Ca isn't going to fluctuate more than a couple ppm.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you trust API over Hanna?
I feel like the reviews on the Hanna cal checker speak for themselves but I've never used it.
I do use the API from time to time and it does give a good ball park result from drop to drop compared to Elos, Red Sea and Salifert.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the reviews on the Hanna cal checker speak for themselves but I've never used it.
I do use the API from time to time and it does give a good ball park result from drop to drop compared to Elos, Red Sea and Salifert.
I used API for the longest time just because it was part of the kit and I had it. After using it up I switched to Hannah. I read many reviews on it, and found that most people thought the testing process was somewhat difficult. They (Hannah) now use a new syringe that measures out the .1 mL of sample water automatically. I think this was where most people were having the greatest difficulty and created the user error in the results.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used API for the longest time just because it was part of the kit and I had it. After using it up I switched to Hannah. I read many reviews on it, and found that most people thought the testing process was somewhat difficult. They (Hannah) now use a new syringe that measures out the .1 mL of sample water automatically. I think this was where most people were having the greatest difficulty and created the user error in the results.
Thanks for the info.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason,
I agree the API cal and Alk are pretty darn good.

That's a great study and the Red Sea Pro refills burned myself on two separate occasions.
Both times they were reading high by about 100ppm. Back then I was running super close to (NSW) parameters and my cal and alk intake stopped altogether from precipt. due to low mag. :(

Been using the Salifert mag kit ever since and have no complaints to report + it's a lot less time consuming test to preform.

Thanks, Freddie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Thread :)

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its important to note that our calcium Checker requires deionized or distilled water with no calcium present and a low conductivity. Many home RODI systems do not remove all calcium ions thus leading to false high readings with the Checker. You can use distilled water from you local pharmacy, just make sure they do not add minerals back in for taste. Only use your home RODI water if you can measure your TDS/conductivity with a meter designed for low ranges that has an accuracy statement based on the readings not the full scale.

psychobilly07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of the KH test came in the ballpark hanna 8.1 red sea 8.2 and API 8
Interesting just got home from vacay and tank looks ****. API tests show Alk at roughly 6.5 and Cal at 410 while the red sea is showing 12.6 and 350. Something is off but i dont know whether to slowly raise or decrease my alk

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today a couple friends came to my house and are really knowledgeable about both marine and fresh water tanks, they are from argentina and brazil they came to the house for a beer and to talk about corals and fish,
one of the guys told me that he wanted to test my water so i handed him all my test kits
he did 3 red sea calcium tests and got a result saying my calcium was under 290
i did 1 api test and got a result of 380
i did 2 test with my Hannah checker and got 1 result of 511 and another one for 490
he did the test down to a T same as me how are this results posible!! and which one should i trust
tomorrow ill be getting a salifert test to see what it says

any advice?
I think your friend had one to many beers.LOL

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today a couple friends came to my house and are really knowledgeable about both marine and fresh water tanks, they are from argentina and brazil they came to the house for a beer...

any advice?

Don’t drink and test :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back