OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have dino Ostreopsis is the easiest to treat. Uv is one of the best treatments. Just make sure to get nitrates and phosphates up. They can kill coral and inverts you may have to add the bio diversity back after treatment. Run your lights like normal uv at night. Ostreo goes into the water column at night. This is the best time to use uv.

During the day siphon the out of the tank through a 5 micron sock into a five gallon bucket. Then pour the water back into the tank. Best way to deal with ostreo.

Your large water change may fuel the dino. There is something in synthetic sw that seems to fuel dino.
Will incorporate all that just need to get the right UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing like a coral sleep over. Sorry for making a joke during these tough times.
I don’t my friends who got me in the hobby are all jealous. They couldn’t keep any corrals alive in their tanks... so me has had one for 2 years lol

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update : got my 100 percent water change done this morning. Things are clearing up. From what I can see now my Xenia looks very unhappy and chalice is losing color. Everything else looks okay. The water is clearing up. I will leave work mid day and do on last water change 30 percent.

7C829A6F-248F-4553-AB8B-B510C0217AE5.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : got my 100 percent water change done this morning. Things are clearing up. From what I can see now my Xenia looks very unhappy and chalice is losing color. Everything else looks okay. The water is clearing up. I will leave work mid day and do on last water change 30 percent.

7C829A6F-248F-4553-AB8B-B510C0217AE5.jpeg
Looks better than last night.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss of your lab. Your huskies are adorable.
Cute can’t wait until I get my first pup once I get a grasp on this tank lol. Sorry about your old lab.
Thanks it's such same they cant live longer, they do pack a lot of love in a short amount of time.
Nothing better than coming home and a dog excited to see you. Hard not to smile when walking into the door

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fingers crossed! Sometimes it takes a couple weeks to see how your coral is affected. Be good to them for a bit and hopefully they come good
Thank you. Do you think I should start feeding my corrals since there is no source of nutrients right now? My tank is still really cloudy. I have reef energy from Red Sea and reef roids. Or should I wait until the bloom goes away ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks it's such same they cant live longer, they do pack a lot of love in a short amount of time.
Nothing better than coming home and a dog excited to see you. Hard not to smile when walking into the door
I know I always wanted a husky due to their high energy but the shedding haha. Learn to love them either way:)

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks better than last night.
Thank you. Care to throw in any input if I should feed my corrals since there is no source of nutrients right now? The bloom is still current. It’s like milk right now. Corrals are extended tho like my torches and hammers. Lights at 50 percent

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad things are looking better. at this point i would rcmd if possible to do a 10g WC all at once (aka drain out 10 gallons and replace), just make sure the new sw is at same temp as tank to avoid a temp shock. you have been successfully diluting the bloom, but a large WC all at one time is more effective at rapid reduction. feeding at this time will only feed the bloom making it worse. corals can live off the nutrients in the saltwater mix just fine for quite a long time. supplemental feedings just make them grow faster. i wouldnt feed until at least friday if water has cleared. some of the cloudiness you see may also be from microbubbles from the air stone (its ok for now), I would leave it running until at least friday as well

Last edited:

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Care to throw in any input if I should feed my corrals since there is no source of nutrients right now? The bloom is still current. It’s like milk right now. Corrals are extended tho like my torches and hammers. Lights at 50 percent
I wouldn't. They have plenty of bacteria to feed them.

It takes time for a bacteria bloom to disappear. Water change buys you time but doesnt solve it. The skimmer is going to be the best to remove them.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. They have plenty of bacteria to feed them.

It takes time for a bacteria bloom to disappear. Water change buys you time but doesnt solve it. The skimmer is going to be the best to remove them.
I definitely agree @sfin52

My only concern is the 100% water change. This will likely leave 0 PO4 and 0 NO3.
But, maybe sand will leach some back into the water.

@christwendt were you dosing NO3 and PO4 before this?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My only concern is the 100% water change. This will likely leave 0 PO4 and 0 NO3.

No once I removed my refugium and used live rock instead ( in my sump for pod population) my nitrates remained 5 ppm and phosphates 0.1-0.3. This is what caused my Dino’s adding that refugium that I took offline

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’ll check my phosphates and nitrates but I know they are zero now that I have no fish and no feeding.. this is my dilemma. I don’t know what to prioritize because I have multiple issues now .. zero nutrients means Dino’s are back and my corrals won’t be happy. Maybe I need to dose now during this bloom ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m at zero nitrates and 0.03 phosphates now. I’m assuming this is secondary focus after I clear up my water and I won’t feed right now.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at zero nitrates and 0.03 phosphates now. I’m assuming this is secondary focus after I clear up my water and I won’t feed right now.
Tricky... maybe “Do No Harm” is best right now for a few days.
I am hoping all corals pull through

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
glad things are looking better. at this point i would rcmd if possible to do a 10g WC all at once (aka drain out 10 gallons and replace), just make sure the new sw is at same temp as tank to avoid a temp shock. you have been successfully diluting the bloom, but a large WC all at one time is more effective at rapid reduction. feeding at this time will only feed the bloom making it worse. corals can live off the nutrients in the saltwater mix just fine for quite a long time. supplemental feedings just make them grow faster. i wouldnt feed until at least friday if water has cleared. some of the cloudiness you see may also be from microbubbles from the air stone (its ok for now), I would leave it running until at least friday as well
Thank you. I can’t do a 10 gallon water change as don’t have two heaters and only 5 gallon buckets. I have replaced all the water and I’m going to let it ride out now and wait for this UV sterilizer. I will not be feeding and thank you for giving me somewhat of a time window for this air stone. I’ll run it until Friday and until it clears up more. Bloom is still at peak.

Back