Help me out?!?!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i am starting to do research on a new tank for myself. I have only ever had all in one tanks and nothing over my 29 gallon. I consider myself a decent reefer but still have much to learn especially when it comes to bigger tanks and plumbing. I am looking a something around 100 gallons (give or take 10 gallons). I would like to get something semi standard in size so finding a stand and cabinet will be fairly easy. I definitely want to have a refuge/sump big enough to fit a protein skimmer. Lights will come last as i have a few good places i already know about.

Please share you expirences with me and help point me some direction....i rather not just got to a LFS and get screwed in pricing....

1) any good online shops people like?

2) Suggestions on setups?

3) Do's and Dont's Pro's and Con's

Thanks for any input all :smile:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check:

PremiumAquatics.com
MarineDepot.com
HelloLights.com

90% of my supplies come from these there. I also buy some stuff from AquaCave.com and ReefGeek.com. DrsFosterSmith.com has some good deals on salt every now and then.

Good Luck

bannshy

Why be Normal?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make that plus 20 gallons and go with a 120 gal 4' wide x 2' deep x 2' tall
It makes it so you can still reach the bottom if you need to move things and is deep enough to allow some awesome aqua skapeing

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make that plus 20 gallons and go with a 120 gal 4' wide x 2' deep x 2' tall
It makes it so you can still reach the bottom if you need to move things and is deep enough to allow some awesome aqua skapeing

Absolutely agree!

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the 4 foot 120 and LOVE it. i am so happy its what i went with. the extra inches in width are wonderful to have. its a good standard size to. so its easy to find a nice stand for it.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paradise reefers This is my BEST advice to you since you live in Florida, I don't know how far you live from Penscola Fl. but. click on the link I gave you, and send them a message and ask Mike to hook you up with Chris. Chris has a LFS and he buys alot of stuff around the south, whole tank setups from people getting out of the hobby and he has everything and at good prices. Mike is on this board alot so I hope he dosn't get upset with me throwing his name out there, if so tell me Mike and it won't happen again.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paradise reefers This is my BEST advice to you since you live in Florida, I don't know how far you live from Penscola Fl. but. click on the link I gave you, and send them a message and ask Mike to hook you up with Chris. Chris has a LFS and he buys alot of stuff around the south, whole tank setups from people getting out of the hobby and he has everything and at good prices. Mike is on this board alot so I hope he dosn't get upset with me throwing his name out there, if so tell me Mike and it won't happen again.
no problem at all.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice everyone....i guess i will be going 120!!!

Yeah Pensacola was close when i was at FSU but now i am in south florida....and i am assuming a 120 is not cheap to ship....If anyone has any contacts down here that might have some stuff to sell...please let me know or tell him to email me [email protected]

Next question....glass or acrylic...right now i have glass and i like it

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100% with the 120 suggestion. Lots of floor/surface area, easy to reach all parts of the aquarium, and plenty of volume for stability and a nice reef.
Gary

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay with glass. Acrylic scratches too easily. The only advantage that I see with acrylic is that it is not as heavy and drills fairly easily.

Frogfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6' 125 gallon tank and love it. It does take up more floorspace. I am leary of a deep tank as I also have a 110 that is 4' wide and I cannot reach the bottom. So be careful of that.

For a tank, I would definitely look for something used. Why pay the high prices. Make sure you know what you are getting but you can often get a deal from someone getting rid of a tank.

Is there a local reef club to you? Check on their forums to see if someone is selling.

If you don't know of a club, check out this page that I put together. Towards the bottom I found a list of reef clubs and links.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~srumberg/Miscellaneous Links.htm

acdraindrps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice to newcomers is to set up a tank the way you know you want it, and try not to cut corners because you will only end up tearing it down and re doing it.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have been trolling around trying to find a nice used system that someone is looking to get rid of (definitely prefer someone as anal as i am with my stuff)....At the very least the tank and stand used would be a good help....the equipment i dont mind buying new since i rather have my tank run smoothly....Again i appreciate all the advice!!! I plan on stopping by a frag swap this weekend in hopes someone is selling a tank setup for a good price....otherwise if you know anyone in South Florida getting out of the reefing world let me know.
-Jason

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice to newcomers is to set up a tank the way you know you want it, and try not to cut corners because you will only end up tearing it down and re doing it.

You know what...you are right....i have spent the better part of 2-3 days looking at all kinds of 4 sale listings and i have a feeling i want a new tank....regardless the cost it will make me happy to have everything new....

Harry

Check:

PremiumAquatics.com
MarineDepot.com
HelloLights.com

90% of my supplies come from these there. I also buy some stuff from AquaCave.com and ReefGeek.com. DrsFosterSmith.com has some good deals on salt every now and then.

Good Luck

Thanks for the sites...i use some of these places as well....do you happen to know any good aquarium sites to actually buy a tank??

This weekend i may start doing some LFS runs and figure what this might cost :cry:

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks and 2 sumps from Ocea and I'm satisfied with them. They are located in Boaz, AL. They are a relatively small operation but do good work at a fair price. They will also do custom cabinet work. Their website is under construction: www.oceallc.com.

(256) 458-4427 Ask for Ty.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have been researching tanks and got sucked into the Uniquariums - I know there are cons to not having a sump and i have read about everyones likes and dislikes but it just seems like a decent tank.....i have also research sumps and how they work, setup, the different pre made types, etc.

I figure i will probably go with an overflow and sump versus the Uniquarium but i was curious if any has that kind of tank and if they like it....i mean if i got it i would definitely turn the back into a refuge, upgrade the return pump and add a nice skimmer....just curious what you guys think?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back