Help! My fish are sick

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2 months old. I added 2 juvenile Percula Clownfish at the very beginning and they have been great. 3 weeks later I added a Royal Gramma and they all were great. 2 weeks later I added an Orchid Dottyback. Again, all great. 1 week ago I added 5 new snails. None of them were quarantined by me but they were from very reputable sources who quarantine all of their fish.

Last night I noticed the clowns seemed a little "off". This morning they were under the overhang where they have never been before. It appeared the smaller one
was there only because the larger one was. Neither looked sick though. As the day progressed the larger one became more and more lethargic. Then the smaller one seemed to be acting abnormally. The larger one then appeared to be breathing very rapidly. At this point I got scared and took them and a sample of my water to my LFS. My water is perfect. The fish appeared healthy. As the hours have gone on they both are doing worse and worse. Now they appear "blanched". Like they are losing their color. They are really struggling.

I have seen the Dottyback as it came out to eat tonight and it looks fine. Haven't seen the Gramma. The inverts look fine.

I just gave them a freshwater dip but had to put them back in the tank because I do not have another heater or aerator.

Attached are pics I took when in the dip.

A professional is coming out to look at everything tomorrow.

Is it Brooklynella? How is that possible when I have had them for 2 months?

1 clown.JPG

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any signs besides loss of color and lethargic? How do the gills look? Any spot ỏ blemishes? Any aggression from the dottyback?

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, just that blanching color. Their color was fine until this afternoon when I noticed it getting lighter. The larger one who has been the most sick has spent most of the day on the sand. That one appears to be having a hard time breathing. Seems to have a hard time staying upright sometimes. The smaller one is mostly up top. Sometime seems to be wanting air. But...then they rally some. Especially the smaller one. I haven't seen the Gramma all day. The Dottyback is a sweetheart. The Gramma chases it away if it gets too close but that's it. The Gramma always pals around with the Clowns.

Every time I look in the tank I think I will find them dead but they're still breathing.

This is heartbreaking. I hate watching them suffer.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a clear id but breathing issues.

A methylene blue bath(30 mins) could help with breathing issues. this could be a parasite attacking gill tissue which is why you dont see it.

Will tag @HotRocks @4FordFamily

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a clear id but breathing issues.

A methylene blue bath(30 mins) could help with breathing issues. this could be a parasite attacking gill tissue which is why you dont see it.

Will tag @HotRocks @4FordFamily

Like lack of color from lack of oxygen? I never thought of that. Will head to LFS tomorrow for treatment options (if they make it through the night).
Thanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet or any parasite damaging the gills, or bacterial infections can cause discoloration. So can high temperatures and stress. 78 degree temp?

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet or any parasite damaging the gills, or bacterial infections can cause discoloration. So can high temperatures and stress. 78 degree temp?

Yes, it is at 78 but that was lowered not raised. It was at 80.
They are still alive but hanging on the sand. The larger one actually ate a little this am.
Still "blanched" looking. Still looking like they are working hard to breathe.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow do you have a circulation pump pointed upwards to break surface tension?

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the professional came by today. My fish had epoxy poisoning. The larger clownfish died about an hour ago and I don't think the smaller one will make it. We did a very large water change and the other fish don't seem to be breathing as hard.

FYI, it was Reef Welder plastic epoxy glue. They say you can put it directly in the tank but...it killed my fish.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the loss :(

Can i ask how he determined epoxy poisoning? Just seems very specific for something there is no test kit for. I have had used many epoxy brands even jb water weld, never had an effect on my fish unless they ate it while hardening

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small one just died.

He thought the tank water smelled strange. When I showed him what I had used he smelled it and said it was the same. The had no sign of disease and that's the only thing in the tank that had changed. He did put in Poly Filter so we will see what it shows tomorrow.

I think it was the amount I used. I attached a large piece of rock so used a lot of it. Plus I put a layer of Super Glue which I'm told is a no-no to mix the 2.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

It was definitely a toxic substance in my tank. 2 professional reef keepers have been helping me and after several large water changes, and a mini cycle that is ending now, everyone is doing just fine. No more toxic chemical water smell. Whew!

This is a great forum to look up information and ask questions but it's just internet advise. If you are having a really bizarre issue with something get a professional. They don't cost much. Certainly less than losing all of your livestock. IMHO anyway.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

It was definitely a toxic substance in my tank. 2 professional reef keepers have been helping me and after several large water changes, and a mini cycle that is ending now, everyone is doing just fine. No more toxic chemical water smell. Whew!

This is a great forum to look up information and ask questions but it's just internet advise. If you are having a really bizarre issue with something get a professional. They don't cost much. Certainly less than losing all of your livestock. IMHO anyway.

Glad you figured it out. I had this problem years ago after using two part epoxy in a 20g. It was epoxy marketed for our reefs even. Likey just too much for such a small amount of water. My fish hid and we're breathing heavily. Lots of water changes fixed it.

When looking for advise online...it's best to list every thing you have done and a timeline. Some people keep everything written in an app on a phone....some on a old notebook. I don't think you mentioned any epoxy use in your posts or what changes you made to the tank.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you figured it out. I had this problem years ago after using two part epoxy in a 20g. It was epoxy marketed for our reefs even. Likey just too much for such a small amount of water. My fish hid and we're breathing heavily. Lots of water changes fixed it.

When looking for advise online...it's best to list every thing you have done and a timeline. Some people keep everything written in an app on a phone....some on a old notebook. I don't think you mentioned any epoxy use in your posts or what changes you made to the tank.

Oh. I guess I put it in another thread. It was Reef Welder Plastic Epoxy and Coral Glue.
Agreed. I think it was the amount used. I was placing a rock not a frag.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I guess I put it in another thread. It was Reef Welder Plastic Epoxy and Coral Glue.
Agreed. I think it was the amount used. I was placing a rock not a frag.

Ya mine was from gluing rocks together as well. I am very wary of the stuff now. It certainly doesn't smell nontoxic before it sets.

OP
OP
Terri Caton

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya mine was from gluing rocks together as well. I am very wary of the stuff now. It certainly doesn't smell nontoxic before it sets.

OMGsh! So agree! I even hesitated before doing it the smell was so strong. Should have listened to my instincts. Hard lesson learned. Lost 4 fish because of it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back