help on brs rodi 7 stage filter

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posted a few weeks ago but still in a total nightmare with rodi problems will list what problem is and what i have done. really would love to see some pictures to make sure I have not crossed some tubes somewhere.
system is 75 gpm 7 stage brs unit
first three canisters fill instantly when turned on the di resin cannisters barely fill (currently have no filters in it at all to try and locate problem)
all fittings and flush valve along with auto shut off have been replaced
using a 900 booster bump which is showing 85 psi
virtually no rodi water being produced, and with no filters in place the resin containers are unreal slow to fill
i feel certain i have probably crossed an output with an input when i replaced all fittings , but can't spot it
could sure use some photo's of each line coming out of fittings and valves,
I sure appreciate any help I can get

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a big picture but let me know what close ups you want? I know mine is a bit of a rats nest but it works great, i will try to help...It sounds like something around your r.o membrane is going on.

20220604_123950.jpg 20220821_114246.jpg

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting some pics would definitely help troubleshoot. The resin stages not filling all the way is normal. Could be a number of things causing issues. Have you measured the output from the ro unit before the di? What's the tds before membrane and after?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if this helps. Source water enters sediment filter (brownish canister) then to carbon block (left) -> to pump -> to membranes then onto Cation, Anion and Mixed bed resin.
Note: diverter valve diverts RO water to another smaller carbon block for drinking water.

RODI.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp of my r.o after sitting in storage for a few months :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-194752_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-194752_Chrome.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220820-194352_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-194352_Chrome.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220820-194333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-194333_Chrome.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220820-194324_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-194324_Chrome.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a big picture but let me know what close ups you want? I know mine is a bit of a rats nest but it works great, i will try to help...It sounds like something around your r.o membrane is going on.

20220604_123950.jpg 20220821_114246.jpg
i am working on it as we speak on the membrane i only have one, i did discover that one of the fittings has a metal tip sticking out and i am not sure if i crossed them. should the fitting with the tip go in with the black waste water line or the blue line

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am working on it as we speak on the membrane i only have one, i did discover that one of the fittings has a metal tip sticking out and i am not sure if i crossed them. should the fitting with the tip go in with the black waste water line or the blue line
I can't picture it? If you had a picture with you pointing it might help more, But I know when changing membranes they seat down in the filter like the other filters kinda, it takes me about 15-20 min to fill a 5 gal bucket at around 80psi what kinda production are you getting? And are you reading tds in different places?

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK SO HERE'S WHERE WE ARE. PIC 1 IS OF THE FRONT OF ENTIRE UNIT WITH FILTERS AND EVERYTHING IN PLACE, WHEN WE TURNED THE UNIT ON WATER EVENTUALLY STARTED TO FLOW OUT OF PURIFIED( BLUE LINE ) LASTED FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN STOPPED COMPLETELY.
WE KNEW THAT THE MIDDLE CHAMBER ON THE CANNISTER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF UNIT HAS FILLED UP AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, BTW THAT MIDDLE CANNISTER FILLED LIKE THAT IN ABOUT 1 WK? THINKING THAT MIGHT BE OUR PROBLEM WE EMPTIED ALL CANISTERS AND RECONNECTED UNIT WITH EMPTY CANNISTERS, THIS DID NOT SOLVE OUR PROBLEM EITHER.
WE THEN DISCONNECTED ALL LINES AND FITTINGS AND HAD GOOD FLOW THROUGH ALL FITINGS AND LINES... UNTIL... WE GOT TO THE MEMBRANE ( PIC 2 ). WE HAVE GREAT FLOW COMING OUT OF THE WASTE LINE BUT NOT THE BLUE LINE, EVEN WITH NO FITTING IN PLACE. WE HAVE TRIED RE ARRANGING THE FITTINGS WITH THE JETS AND WITHOUT TO NO AVAIL, WHEN THE WATER COMES OUT OF THE FITTING HOLE JUST BELOW THE THUMB IN PIC 2 IT IS JUST A TRICKLE, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT SHOULD BE FLOWING FASTER OR NOT, I ONLY KNOW THAT AFTER ALL OF THIS THE AMOUNT OF WATER COMING OUT OF THE FINAL PURIFIED BLUE LINE WILL DRIP SLOWLY OR SLOW CONSTANT FLOW FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN STOPS, SOMETIMES IT WILL DRIP OR FLOW STEADY AND THEN STOP AND START SPORADICALLY? ALSO RUNNING OUR BOOSTER PUMP WE ARE AT 80PSI.

rodi1.jpg rodi2.jpg

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK SO HERE'S WHERE WE ARE. PIC 1 IS OF THE FRONT OF ENTIRE UNIT WITH FILTERS AND EVERYTHING IN PLACE, WHEN WE TURNED THE UNIT ON WATER EVENTUALLY STARTED TO FLOW OUT OF PURIFIED( BLUE LINE ) LASTED FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN STOPPED COMPLETELY.
WE KNEW THAT THE MIDDLE CHAMBER ON THE CANNISTER ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF UNIT HAS FILLED UP AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED, BTW THAT MIDDLE CANNISTER FILLED LIKE THAT IN ABOUT 1 WK? THINKING THAT MIGHT BE OUR PROBLEM WE EMPTIED ALL CANISTERS AND RECONNECTED UNIT WITH EMPTY CANNISTERS, THIS DID NOT SOLVE OUR PROBLEM EITHER.
WE THEN DISCONNECTED ALL LINES AND FITTINGS AND HAD GOOD FLOW THROUGH ALL FITINGS AND LINES... UNTIL... WE GOT TO THE MEMBRANE ( PIC 2 ). WE HAVE GREAT FLOW COMING OUT OF THE WASTE LINE BUT NOT THE BLUE LINE, EVEN WITH NO FITTING IN PLACE. WE HAVE TRIED RE ARRANGING THE FITTINGS WITH THE JETS AND WITHOUT TO NO AVAIL, WHEN THE WATER COMES OUT OF THE FITTING HOLE JUST BELOW THE THUMB IN PIC 2 IT IS JUST A TRICKLE, I DO NOT KNOW IF IT SHOULD BE FLOWING FASTER OR NOT, I ONLY KNOW THAT AFTER ALL OF THIS THE AMOUNT OF WATER COMING OUT OF THE FINAL PURIFIED BLUE LINE WILL DRIP SLOWLY OR SLOW CONSTANT FLOW FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN STOPS, SOMETIMES IT WILL DRIP OR FLOW STEADY AND THEN STOP AND START SPORADICALLY? ALSO RUNNING OUR BOOSTER PUMP WE ARE AT 80PSI.

rodi1.jpg rodi2.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rodi1.jpg rodi2.jpg
I see an issue for me, i would put your booster pump just before your membrane, don't put the pressure thru all your sediment and carbon blocks.
do you flush your carbon blocks? I put a bypass just before the membrane for flushing new carbon blocks other wise you are possibly clogging up your membrane, for good measure I put a 1micron sediment filter just before the membrane just in case, see the red tube coming out of sediment 4 that goes to the membrane that is the first chamber to get high pressure. That's not as important as flushing new carbon blocks, see my bypass with a wye in the second photo the red line goes to drain as a flush, I will flush new blocks for about 5 min then run water to the membrane.

Attachments

• 20220821_161537.jpg
    20220821_161537.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220821_161828.jpg
    20220821_161828.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see an issue for me, i would put your booster pump just before your membrane, don't put the pressure thru all your sediment and carbon blocks.
do you flush your carbon blocks? I put a bypass just before the membrane for flushing new carbon blocks other wise you are possibly clogging up your membrane, for good measure I put a 1micron sediment filter just before the membrane just in case, see the red tube coming out of sediment 4 that goes to the membrane that is the first chamber to get high pressure. That's not as important as flushing new carbon blocks, see my bypass with a wye in the second photo the red line goes to drain as a flush, I will flush new blocks for about 5 min then run water to the membrane.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And check your membrane take it out inspect it and make sure it's properly seated they have rubber o rings on them, has this been taken apart before or is it the original membrane that came with the unit?

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE HAVE THE BOOSTER JUST BEFORE THE MEMBRANE, IF YOU FOLLOW THE RED LINE, IT COMES FROM THE SPICKET, THEN TO THE BOOSTER AND THEN CONNCECTS TO THE MEMBRANE, THE PUMP IS JUST MOUNTED TO THE RIGHT SIDE. WE ALWAYS FLUSH THE ENTIRE SYSTEM WHEN WE TURN IT ON, IS THERE A SECONDARY FLUSH FOR THE RESIN CANNISTERS, IF THATS WHAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO?

reef_725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like some kind a clog working through your system maybe, have you tried separating your systems 3 and 3 to at least try and narrow down where there might be a clog? if that's even the problem..

OP
OP
O

onemako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And check your membrane take it out inspect it and make sure it's properly seated they have rubber o rings on them, has this been taken apart before or is it the original membrane that came with the unit?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back