OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I couldn’t get pool noodles as @footgal suggested BUT I got BUBBLES the entire back of my Subaru Crosstrek is full! Hopefully that’s enough to keep my new tank in one piece!

guy confirmed with me today my pick up time for tomorrow!

This move will probably take two days.

plan on first night is to get the tank home and then clean the sump and tank if needed. Clean all the parts! Wave makers and everything! get the stand set up and hopefully the sump set up along with the tank on stand.

get all the corals out of the moving container and into a ten gallon with flow heat and light.I have a feeling I will be removing corals from rocks. Which may leave me some I can bring to LFS for store credit.
Tonight I’m picking up water and the largest brute trash can I can find for mixing purposes. I’m hoping to find a 50gal brute. So that along with my 20 should get me super close to what I need for the tank. Which reminds me I need two lids for my five gallon buckets so I can make hopefully only two trips to LFS for water ( unless I can get them to loan me some containers!)

maybe I’ll start a new build thread!
DAD8CC77-E206-44C0-81B8-96E12EFCCB58.jpeg
90142DFB-9E1C-45E5-9108-8A35494533AB.jpeg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you get some 5 gallon jugs (like this one that I’m using as an ATO reservoir) thatd be the best for transporting water. My LFS sells them for around $10 a piece, they’re water tight and have a big hole for pouring water and a tiny hole in the back so it doesn’t do the awful glug glug thing like what happens if you pour beer out of a bottle too fast. Highly recommend, I have to haul water upstairs for all my water changes and that would be very near impossible without these things!!
951EB7CE-79F4-4B7C-8903-BDC0CB0A9970.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you get some 5 gallon jugs (like this one that I’m using as an ATO reservoir) thatd be the best for transporting water. My LFS sells them for around $10 a piece, they’re water tight and have a big hole for pouring water and a tiny hole in the back so it doesn’t do the awful glug glug thing like what happens if you pour beer out of a bottle too fast. Highly recommend, I have to haul water upstairs for all my water changes and that would be very near impossible without these things!!
951EB7CE-79F4-4B7C-8903-BDC0CB0A9970.jpeg
I have enough of those to make 35gal. About half of what I need gonna ask LFS is they rent or let people borrow water jugs!
Just bought a 50 gal brute for mixing! Plus I have a 20g at home. I think that will almost get me there!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing my 20 gal I may fill a few 5 gallons back up and mix more!
Probably a good idea! I had to do a rip clean a couple months ago on my 45 and used about 60 gallons of water. Make sure you have plenty of spare water!! I have no idea how I managed to use that much, but it was really fortunate that I made a lot more water than I thought I needed!

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing my 70 gallons! I have another 15 in rodi. Plus the 16 in my dt. I may have to make another run to the LFS Saturday for more but I sure hope not!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea! I had to do a rip clean a couple months ago on my 45 and used about 60 gallons of water. Make sure you have plenty of spare water!! I have no idea how I managed to use that much, but it was really fortunate that I made a lot more water than I thought I needed!
"rip clean" ??

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"rip clean" ??
Yep, basically you take out all the rock and scrub the algae off in saltwater then replace it in the tank. So you keep much of your beneficial bacteria but remove the nuisance algae. You may experience a mini cycle but I doubt it will last more than a week. I did one a few months ago and the mini cycle was 3-4 days, I did not lose any corals during the mini cycle

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, basically you take out all the rock and scrub the algae off in saltwater then replace it in the tank. So you keep much of your beneficial bacteria but remove the nuisance algae. You may experience a mini cycle but I doubt it will last more than a week. I did one a few months ago and the mini cycle was 3-4 days, I did not lose any corals during the mini cycle
Ah... I did not know it had a name. I have had to do that many times. I honestly don't test daily so if I had a baby cycle I've never noticed. When things get really gnarly with diatoms or dinos or cyano... I just go hog and start scrubbing rock. I lost a Monty Porter that way once but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do...

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"rip clean" ??
What @footgal said but when I did it I didn’t even cycle. I know she runs a bare bottom tank and that may be why she cycled.
If your ever concerned about a cycle I find it useful to dose things like microbacter7 or seed. Or anything that helps boost your good bacteria

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back