How do cyanide collected fish present?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two wrasse of the same species and from the same vendor arrive and look great. Both were in the last 6 weeks. They both ate aggressively the first time I tried which is usally 4-6 hours after introduction. They both ate, competed with other fish in the QT for 6-7 days and then just suddenly died. Not a mark on them, the corpse still looked like a healthy fish. Is this how cyanide collection appears?

The other fish that were with both wrasses in QT have shown no sign of illness and are proceeding through quarantine without incident.

Are there certain species from certain areas that are more known to be collected that way? What else could present like that?

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm from that article it looks like fish that survive the initial dose for capture are not proven to be more likely to die from it? Did I misunderstand it? I didn't see any symptoms cited other than the previously thought starvation being proven not to be the problem.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain species, such as dwarf angels and hippo tangs, from the Indonesia and the Philippines, are more likely to be collected by cyanide than other fishes.

In my observations, fish suspected of cyanide poisoning may appear healthy, but their color is faded and never fully returns, they seam fine, but slowly waste away despite eating, or seem unnecessarily lethargic.

There is some anecdotal evidence that suggests that methylene blue treatments can have a reversal of the cyanide affects if used soon after collection.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some anecdotal evidence that suggests that methylene blue treatments can have a reversal of the cyanide affects if used soon after collection.

Is this something that a hobbyist could do prophylactically, or is this something that would have to be done _before_ the fish reaches the aquarist?

~Bruce

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain species, such as dwarf angels and hippo tangs, from the Indonesia and the Philippines, are more likely to be collected by cyanide than other fishes.

In my observations, fish suspected of cyanide poisoning may appear healthy, but their color is faded and never fully returns, they seam fine, but slowly waste away despite eating, or seem unnecessarily lethargic.

Thanks TJ. This was much more fulminant than that sounds. It must have been something else. These fish were a little pale but otherwise looked good. They weren't thin and ate very well.....until they suddenly died about 1 week in to QT. It was so identical even down to the timing I thought the two deaths must be connected. I would have thought it was velvet except they never looked abnormal and the other fish in QT have not had any issues at all.,

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something that a hobbyist could do prophylactically, or is this something that would have to be done _before_ the fish reaches the aquarist?

~Bruce
The first few days after it arrives in the supply chain is supposed to be work. So, depending on how soon the you can get it, depends on it's efficacy.

Back