How much better are the known brands of LED compared to the generic ones?

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to a point, paying more gets a better product. While that light is likely good enough for a 10g nano you use it for, its really quite weak. 100 LEDs but 25w means very weak LEDs. Look at the ones the higher end lights use, 3-5W per LED. Compare that to something like: https://reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-16-v2/ less than half the lights, puts out way more PAR.

Wattage doesn't always translate into quality output. It greatly depends on the type of diode used and how the lens is shaped and positioned. They aren't necessarily "weak." Fluval is a good example. Specs on the Sea 3.0 Nano show impressive PAR and LUX measurements and proper spectrum but only meager 850 lumen. In my experience working with LED products, higher wattage translated into higher lumen output, which doesn't mean much in a reef lighting. How efficient the light is at producing results is what matters.

Our Volvo SUV has a four-cylinder engine. One would assume it's "weak" when compared to a six-cylinder power plant. However, the Volvo has a super turbo and puts out over 300 HP and about as much torque, enough to bring this thing up to 60/Mph in 6 seconds or thereabout.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without being able to measure and compare the spectrum and intensity, it's just people guessing and making assumptions. I don't like guessing, so I paid a little more to buy a light with a tested and proven spectrum.

Plus, if you expect to keep hundreds if not thousands of corals under that light, why cheap out on it, right?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say you get what you pay for, and I think that’s true, especially in this hobby.

You also have to remember, there is a reason certain lights are more expensive; companies like Kessil and AI are paying for research, innovation, phone apps, etc etc. These Chinese companies that release these black box bombs dont care about that. Thats why they're ugly and as basic as can be.

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is what is the point of diminishing returns. For example a $200 light may be twice as good as a $100 light but a $400 light might be only 75% better than a $200 and an $800 light might be 30% better than a $400 light.

Once you start comparing lights over a certain price level you realize you are spending alot more money for a little bit better. It's not that it isn't better but rather does the price increase justify the minimal difference in quality.

I have a hard time telling the difference between a $1500 TV and a $3000 TV, even when 1 is twice as expensive. Some home theater nerds might be able to tell and I might if I strain really hard but I would be happy with either of them in my house.

I believe the mid range of aquarium lighting is what most people should buy there is better but unless you are a hard core lighting nerd you will be very happy in the middle. Most people don't have wall to wall SPS tanks.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that the major brands spend a lot more money into R&D the knockoff companies benefit from that R&D without it costing them anything because they just copy the product from the reputable company. I'm not saying that the practice of copying another companies products is fair but realistically that is what happens.
I agree with this. There are some aspects that are likely patent protected but the general ideas are easily copied

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Montiman has nailed it in #13.
But there is another aspect. What will You do in 3 or 5 years when You come home with the new smartphone and there is no app available for the aquarium light on that phone.
I dont think the light manufacturers will have the money to develope new apps for the old lights.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things come to mind:
Life Expectancy determined mostly by thermal management. This costs money to implement and design.
Support in case of issues - Hear good stories about EcoTech and name brands. Not sure if the black boxes have a support number?

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone looking for a good LED light for a nano tank? I wanted to share this one that I got 3 months ago. I am happy with the results on my LPS and softies, but I wanted opinions. How much better let's say a Kessil or an AI Prime would perform? Is it worth the extra money?

Here is the link to the one I got: https://amzn.to/3s26M9P

Thanks everyone and happy reefing!
Hey buddy I think your light is great for you. I had a 48"one of those on my 55gal. when I first started out. For me, as a newby, they performed fine for over 5 years until I fried the transformer when I got salt water on it. I decided to upgrade at that time although if I'd get a new transformer it'd still work. I have a 90gal mixed reef with only a few SPS. I don't think you have to spend a thousand dollars on lights to be successful in this hobby. I don't want to offend anybody but there's a lot of "this might not be as good", "they might not last", "build quality might be lacking" on this thread but mine worked great and I got good color and growth from them. Admittedly they don't have some of the features and adjustability that more expensive lights have, and probably wouldn't cut it on an SPS dominated tank. I also don't have high end lights so I can only speak to what I know. High end lights obviously have advantages I'm not aware of. I do however have good quality lights from a lesser known company called 21LEDUSA. Their American made. The build quality is excellent, the color spectrum and par ratings are published and I can call and speak to the owner if I have a question or problem. Bottom line is my corals are happy, healthy and my tank looks great. The high end thing doesn't just apply to lights. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not directing this to anyone on this thread but occasionally there seems to be some snobbery on forums that if you don't have the absolute top of the line name brand item your not in the serious reefer club.

I don't want to make anyone feel their equipment is substandard or or worse scare them away from the hobby because we convinced them that unless you by the most expensive of everything your not serious about the hobby. I think we need to support everybody at every level.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this has been several years ago, but I was running black box lights on my tank, I had great acro growth, even winning the acro growout here on r2r with them (and any light was accepted T5, mh). However when I changed to another brand, AI, I was absolutly shocked with the instant color improvements. Perhaps the cheaper brands have corrected this, I really don't know if it was a spectrum thing or quality of LEDs, but it blew me away.

reef4now

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone can afford high end equipment,that said the lights that have come on the market from China recently are actually quite good with par and spectrum.As far as longevity goes,time will tell.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this has been several years ago, but I was running black box lights on my tank, I had great acro growth, even winning the acro growout here on r2r with them (and any light was accepted T5, mh). However when I changed to another brand, AI, I was absolutly shocked with the instant color improvements. Perhaps the cheaper brands have corrected this, I really don't know if it was a spectrum thing or quality of LEDs, but it blew me away.

Yes and no... there is still quite a variance in spectrum quality produced by various black box lights. Some very poor, some very good. You can find spectrum info on many of the more popular black box models now. The ViparSpectra black box lights seem to have the best spectrum in the black box offerings. BRS did a video on some of these black boxes with par/spectrum tests that is worth checking out.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Montiman has nailed it in #13.
But there is another aspect. What will You do in 3 or 5 years when You come home with the new smartphone and there is no app available for the aquarium light on that phone.
I dont think the light manufacturers will have the money to develope new apps for the old lights.
This is one reason I like units with the option of a wired controller like kessil.

Nano-DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these black box or other cheap LEDs even UL listed? I don’t know about you, but I’m not real keen on plugging something without a UL listing around my aquarium full of water.

Radicalrob1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had AI prime. And black boxes and also bought a grow light t5. They all seem to grow coral. Yes the higher end lights are made better and usually look better. That's why I went with orphek or3 bars. Best value for money in my opinion. They don't have fancy do DA's but they work and look fantastic. Build quality is awesome. But ya you can grow corals for days with a black box like vipar. If you can't afford a premium light, those will get the job done and they're built pretty good too for the price.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fun thread. :)

There are so many good lights out there that won't break the bank. The arguments I see here, being quality, spectrum, UL, and such, are mostly opinions san support. I can show you expensive bars from name brands that look like they were middle school science projects. Spectrum, with the right tools, is easy to replicate. That's not R&D. I do it at home. Try searching ULiQ for elite brands. You'll be disappointed.

Generally, the arguments shared here are those we've been gifted to continue supporting the elite brands. Ever stop by the corporate offices of the tops in the hobbies? Seen what they drive?

Budget reefers...please keep shopping for those lighting gems. If you need help with selection, hit me up. If you need data, there's a chance I have it. If I don't, and the light is intriguing, I'll buy or borrow it to get you that data.

Cool?

Jim

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham - this is a fun thread indeed.

I’m a long-time freshwater hobbyist that chanced upon a piece of @$2/lb coral live rock covered in a variety of corals that looked very brown but interesting all the same.

Well I needed some actinic lights and stumbled across some royal blue light strips from Temu for 79c a piece. 2 of these LED bars light up my 5 gallon and I have 8 over my 10 gallon. Sometimes I give them a little more PAR with a USB nano-tank light also from Temu.

And so far they're growning paly’s, zoa’s a Duncan and a candy cane into 2 heads each, a mint alveopora, discosoma and rhodactis mushrooms and a red montipora digitata – which is growing surprisingly fast. Importantly they make everything glow just like at my LFS because actinic, and that chunk of live rock has been far from brown!

Because I had USB power blocks and 12v transformers lying around my total outlay to light up the larger tank is <$20. And less than $10 if you discount those nano tank lights.

Here's the links - importantly the 'blue' ones are the only ones that are actinic - the others ones don't do the trick - I tried them!

Universal Car Led Light Bar Strip Waterproof Stylish - Temu
Brighten Aquarium Small Clamp Led Usb Aquarium Light! - Temu

It would be fun to have these tested - Telegraham I'd be happy to send you set, if you're interested.

Now I do have a pair of Noop K7 mini's on order, I might upgrade them to the Pro's before Noop ships them at the end of the month. I haven't seen them in person so am a little hesitant that I won't be as happy with my cheap Noop reef lights as I am with my cheap as chips Temu lights.

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm put 8 of these cheap Temu lights across my 22 Long, an inch above the water resting on top of the lid. I’m loving the brightness and the color. Everything looks great, actinic has a nice pop. I’m hoping the K7 minis look as good (20x the price!!). Looking forward to reporting back in march!

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Noop K7 Mini's arrived today so I took an immediate opportunity to compare them to my Temu's. Most videos and reviews online are about unboxing I won't cover that here.

At 100% power on the blue light only one Noop puts out as much light of pretty much exactly the same color and actinic pop 6x Temu light strips that are sitting on a glass panel about 2" above the water of my tank. Tank depth is 12".

6x Temu light strips are about $6.

Because the Temu's sit so close to the water there is no light bleed across the room. And I think they look slicker than the Noops because of that -a box of light and no glow. They'd look slicker still if I didn't hack them together to sit on the glass

Now I need 2x Noops for my Tank so that is $140 of Noops or $12 of Temu's.

The "UV" on the Noops is really just violet and does nothing by itself - no actinic pop there - and the whites come across as more pink - but maybe that is because I'm used to blue. If I want more high temp light than I can just get whites or Ice Blue's bars from Temu and indeed that is what I run on one of my other tanks.

What I don't get with the Temu's is the app control but realistically that could be done with mutliple power supplies and wifi switches which we probably all have in spades these days. Oh and I do have to set up another light source when I'm screwing around in the tank because I need to move the glass that the Temu's sit on.

So yes the K7's do look as good in terms of light color and they do have additional functionality I don't have out of the box with the Temu's but could 'replicate' without much effort and money.

My honest initial reaction though is that I prefer what I had with the Temu's. And the price is close to unbeatable. I'll live with the Noops for a while and report back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back