[?] How to ID a rare acro.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was trying to find this info but I can't see any posts about.
The question is: "How to ID a rare acro?"

If you don't see names etc. I'm pretty sure some vendors can share some of their knowledge about.
What are the rare colors or colors combinations etc...

Thanks! ;)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post an image? or is this a general question?

Corallite structure, growth pattern. Growth pattern can be significantly influence by flow. Coloration can be influenced by lighting and water chemistry, or disease process such as Red Bugs, and water quality.

Good places to possible ID's are vendor sites that use the scientific name such as DD in the sps section.

AIMs in another good resource.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/structure-skeleton.jsp

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a general question yes, let's say you enter a store with colonies and no names listed. I'm pretty sure there are some "generic" colors patterns and some more "rare" etc.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a general question yes, let's say you enter a store with colonies and no names listed. I'm pretty sure there are some "generic" colors patterns and some more "rare" etc.

Not really, any particular sps can look different because no systems are identical. Instead of color patterns you can guesstimate the ID on coral lite structure & growth patterns etc..

Like A. Tenuis for example are easy to tell

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the coral Acropora Valida, you can also find the same coral as GARF Bonzai, Tri-color.....and they can look very different. A. Granulosa is often confused with A. Loripes and even A. Rosaria. Acropora Spath, Milleopora, and Prostrata can be very similar in appearance, you just have to love acropora enough to dig through ID's and familiarize your self with different characteristics. Corallite structure such as rounded or slopped are going to lead you to an ID.

Triggerjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5675.JPG
And if you are talking frags, it can be nearly impossible. This is a small frag and the growth shoots near the bottom (new growth) the corallites take on the shape of A. granulosa. But near the top of the coral it has a totally different structure. Still don't have a positive ID on this one. Sorry for the bad pics, it was more for corallite structure and I had my iPhone handy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back