How to make PVC stop rolling?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pvc pipes I have are very rolly, and I’d prefer them to stay in one place when I put them in the tank. What are some good ways to keep it still? I was thinking of maybe sandpapering down one side, to make it flat enough to lie on. The purpose of the pipes is for basic quarantine uses, as well as for housing breeding pairs/trips of fish, so I’d prefer not to drill the pipes, or cut them.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pvc pipes I have are very rolly, and I’d prefer them to stay in one place when I put them in the tank. What are some good ways to keep it still? I was thinking of maybe sandpapering down one side, to make it flat enough to lie on. The purpose of the pipes is for basic quarantine uses, as well as for housing breeding pairs/trips of fish, so I’d prefer not to drill the pipes, or cut them.
Could possibly tie a weight to them with a zip tie assuming that you don’t mind about looks on your qt.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium safe silicone. 2 bumps on the each end, 4 total, should do the trick. Or super glue 4 peices of rocks or break up a frag plug.
I’ve been using rubble to keep them in place, but sometimes the rocks move or the fish move the rocks. Maybe the silicone will do the trick!

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just stop by HD or Lowe's and pick up an elbow or a tee in the same diameter and slip it on the end? It'll feel even more 'shelter' like for the fish, and it won't roll. Don't even have to glue them on. Just slip 'em one the end of the pipe.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using rubble to keep them in place, but sometimes the rocks move or the fish move the rocks. Maybe the silicone will do the trick!
Super glue them to the PVC. Same thing to attach frags should work. The putty would also work. Just make small feet with them.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just stop by HD or Lowe's and pick up an elbow or a tee in the same diameter and slip it on the end? It'll feel even more 'shelter' like for the fish, and it won't roll. Don't even have to glue them on. Just slip 'em one the end of the pipe.
^^THIS^^

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these in my QT
Screenshot_20200717-201019.png

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think about this, but it’s the same concept as with flowerpots and fish. Since I want to breed demersal spawning fish, I want them to lay their eggs in the PVC. It’s rather hard to get water/air flow through a flowerpot, elbow or tee if I’m removing the structure to a hatchout bucket/tub. For now I’m ok with stabilizing them using rubble, but I’d prefer to not keep rubble in the breeding area long term.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding a few large zip ties around the PVC won't necessarily stop them from moving, but it should stop them from rolling. Good luck!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the multi use thing. If branches and T's aren't what you want what about using two of these? One on each end in opposite directions, snap off the length to what works for you? Could glue if needed but they might hold without. Available at any hardware store to your size pipe.
Screenshot_20200717-211534.png

Back