Ich or Velvet or neither?

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed these little white spots on my coral beauty. I’m assuming it’s ich (great) but I could be wrong. No idea where it came from as all fish have been happy and healthy. All my other fish are fine.

C487E373-15ED-4726-9944-C82A041C81F2.jpeg
BE11F9F5-098C-4A73-8A23-DCFA2D3DD8BA.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any new fish to the tank recently?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell, could be ich or velvet. regardless of which, the treatment is pretty much the same, just have to move faster with velvet then with ich. Quarantine and copper treatment for 30 days.

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell, could be ich or velvet. regardless of which, the treatment is pretty much the same, just have to move faster with velvet then with ich. Quarantine and copper treatment for 30 days.

I did not have a QT set up so I just went to the store and set one up today. I used tank water to fill it. Can I put the angelfish in immediately or does it need to cycle again? How should I set up the filter as well?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hang on back power filter will suffice just fine just make sure the filter has no carbon in it also an ammonia alert badge and bottle of bio spira to keep ammonia levels down

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hang on back power filter will suffice just fine just make sure the filter has no carbon in it also an ammonia alert badge and bottle of bio spira to keep ammonia levels down

So could I put the fish in there tonight?
I have a bottle of Fritz Turbostart would that suffice?
I will head to store to buy some pvc

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could I put the fish in there tonight?
I have a bottle of Fritz Turbostart would that suffice?
I will head to store to buy some pvc
Should be ok, but definitely grab an ammonia alert badge. To my knowledge it's the only ammonia test that is capable of accurately reading when copper is present. All the rest give false readings.

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok, but definitely grab an ammonia alert badge. To my knowledge it's the only ammonia test that is capable of accurately reading when copper is present. All the rest give false readings.

Should I drop the salinity in the QT a bit?
Also just curious, If there is no live rock or biomedia in the filter, where would the bacteria live? I bought a small starter kit on sale but the filter only has a pad in it

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter pad is where your bacteria will colonize. Salinity in a quarantine I usually run at 1.019 sg

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I poured some Turbostart into the tank and the filter pad. Also threw some fish food in for ammonia. I’m sure that will take some time to cycle. Should I buy a powerhead and a bioblock to just throw in the tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I poured some Turbostart into the tank and the filter pad. Also threw some fish food in for ammonia. I’m sure that will take some time to cycle. Should I buy a powerhead and a bioblock to just throw in the tank?
Powerhead would be good, point it to the surface to keep O2 levels up

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerhead would be good, point it to the surface to keep O2 levels up

Filled QT with tank water and poured some Turbostart in yesterday along with a bag of bio media. I just tested the water in the QT today. Ammonia reads 0, nitrites read 0, nitrates around 15 (easy water change fix). Would it be safe to put the angelfish in the tank now?

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look up my last thread I literally just went through the same thing. If you read through I got some pretty good advice on there, lots of good info and my coral beauty is on the road to recovery.

OP
OP
ReeferMadne55

ReeferMadne55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look up my last thread I literally just went through the same thing. If you read through I got some pretty good advice on there, lots of good info and my coral beauty is on the road to recovery.

Wow you weren't kidding. Same exact scenario that's crazy. Thanks for linking that!

Back