Inkbird Controller

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve purchased the dual titanium BRS heaters along with the Inkbird controller. I’m looking for suggestions and advice on which route is the best for redundancy. Should I use the Inkbird Controller separately and use the GHL temp probe as a secondary probe to monitor temps? Or should I ignore the Inkbird controller and hook the titanium heaters directly to the Profilux?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex controller and not a ghl, but I suspect my answer would work for any controller. My intentions are to allow my inkbird to normally cycle the heaters on and off. Then have my apex monitor temp, and if the temp goes about a degree above where the inkbird should shut the heaters off it will turn off the outlet the inkbird is plugged into and send an alert. The controller will also monitor if the temp drops too low to send me an alert also.

I suspect this will help keep from wearing out the outlet on the controllers energy bar.

If there is some reason this doesn't work with GHL then at least I bumped your thread for you.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also use the Inkbird to control the heater, with the Profilux as a backup to shut off the heater if temperature get too high. I would do this out of redundancy concerns, not any to do with wearing the outlet out. The GHL powerbars are robust, unless you had some really tight band where the outlet is cycling every couple of minutes or so. I have heaters with internal thermostats. The Profilux controls while the internal thermostat is the backup. The outlet cycles once, maybe twice an hour. The factors that affect how often the heater cycles are the heater wattage, hysteresis setting and room temperature. I have been running this way for over two years. You would probably have a hard time finding many failures of GHL Powerbar individual outlets.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably have a hard time finding many failures of GHL Powerbar individual outlets.
Sadly that is not the case with apex, from what I've read at least. I'm still new to it or any controller for that matter. Also, I had never looked at how often my heaters kick on so I went and look, my heaters turn on 12 times per day. Which means the outlet would be switching on or off 24 times a day.

My heaters also have built in thermostats so I'll use the inkbird as main control and have the controller and internal thermostats both as failsafes.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex controller and not a ghl, but I suspect my answer would work for any controller. My intentions are to allow my inkbird to normally cycle the heaters on and off. Then have my apex monitor temp, and if the temp goes about a degree above where the inkbird should shut the heaters off it will turn off the outlet the inkbird is plugged into and send an alert. The controller will also monitor if the temp drops too low to send me an alert also.

I suspect this will help keep from wearing out the outlet on the controllers energy bar.

If there is some reason this doesn't work with GHL then at least I bumped your thread for you.
I have the same setup but I also have the Apex control a tertiary heater in the event both the primary/secondary heaters fail.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back