~~~Input wanted~~~

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow fish keepers. I am hoping you guys and gals will chime in. I read Rev's thread on how many fish do you keep and was not surprised many keep a lot of fish. It was a great thread. I would like to follow up with those who are keeping a lot of fish to list there recipe for success.
Equipment, maintenance, water changes, filtration, feedings(how many times a day and what types of food) as much detail as possible.
I have a 300 gallon that was a full reef tank but now has been converted to a FOWLR. And I have fallen in love with all the fish I could not keep in my reef. ANGELS AND BUTTERFLYS!
I still have a reef tank on a smaller scale. But the journey into a FOWLR is much harder then I thought it would be since I have successfully kept reef tanks.
So let's get this thread going. Thanks

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 ft fowlr ( never a reef since commitment and pocket not deep enough)
2 bannerfish, a pakistani bf, a latticed bf and a one spot foxface. Other fish are all smallish wrasses, clown, pj cardinal, blenny and damsels.
I dont have a qt, so i want to keep my tank as peaceful as possible, no stressful fish or fish that cause stress to others.
So, i dont keep angels, imo, my tank is too small for large angels, and dwarf angels are still pretty territorial when adult. No prob with your tank size tho.
No tangs too, yknow ick magnet and all, and can harass a blenny, gotta have a blenny in my tank.
So since no qt, i gotta beef up on other areas, i have uv sterilizer, a lot of live rock for good water quality ( my sump is also a 4 ft tank), a skimmer, algae section (started w chaeto but GHA takes over, i dont mind, they take up nitrates and phosphates too, i guess) and chemipure.
Once a week, i feed them dr g's medicated food, garlic soaked food and bio viv hufa (amino acids)
Thats about it, i think....

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh i also dose seachem stability and api stress zyme....

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and iwanna add that otherdays i give pellets hikari marine s, ON formula 1 n 2

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' 80g tank. The wat dains into a micron sock in a large sump. I keep purigen in the sock and change the sock weekly.

In he sump is a skimmer rated for 120g, 2 polyfilters and a sump sponge.

The water travels through a chiller and a uv sterilizer.

Thee are 2 powerheads for extra circulation in the main tank.

I also dose NoPox to keep po4 and no3 low.

It is full of coral, a mixed reef of sps, lps, zoas, and mushrooms.

Fish consist of 8 wrasses, a dartfish, a pr of marine bettas, 2 anthias, 2 blennies, and a royal gramma. I have 3 skunk cleaner shrimp, 2 blood shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp.

I feed 3-5x a day. I use LRS reef frenzy, piscine mysis, hikari mysis, San Francisco Bay reef plankton, SF fish eggs, tobiko from Asian food stores, and my own blend of fresh fish and seafood finely chopped then frozen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back