is Prazipro truly reef safe?

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I have flukes in my mix reef tank. I can see flukes (thin white films) on my purple fire fishes and other fishes. Flukes moves around the body. All the fishes are very healthy and eating a lot. I have researched and Prazipro is the medication to treat flukes and reef safe. Because of large number of fishes, I would not be able to put them in QT. My plan is dose in the DT. I am very worried because I have LPS (torches, hammers, goni, acans, scolies, chalices, blasto) and SPS (acro). I also have three wrasses which can be sensitive to prazi. I know I need sufficient oxygen during treatment and use correct dose but I am still very worried.

Could anyone let me know what is the chance of losing coral and/or wrasse? Can I just ride it out without treatment or I should proceed with the treatment?

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everyone, I have flukes in my mix reef tank. I can see flukes (thin white films) on my purple fire fishes and other fishes. Flukes moves around the body. All the fishes are very healthy and eating a lot. I have researched and Prazipro is the medication to treat flukes and reef safe. Because of large number of fishes, I would not be able to put them in QT. My plan is dose in the DT. I am very worried because I have LPS (torches, hammers, goni, acans, scolies, chalices, blasto) and SPS (acro). I also have three wrasses which can be sensitive to prazi. I know I need sufficient oxygen during treatment and use correct dose but I am still very worried.

Could anyone let me know what is the chance of losing coral and/or wrasse? Can I just ride it out without treatment or I should proceed with the treatment?

Thanks
May or may not be flukes rarely seen with the naked eye. Any pics you can provide under white lighting?
What other symptoms are you seeing?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
All medications have some risk, but Prazipro is fairly reef safe. It is the glycol solvent that is the issue - bacteria breaks that down, causing a drop in oxygen if you don’t aerate well. Wrasse are fine with prazipro.
One thing that can happen is if the fish have a severe fluke infection, the Prazipro causes the flukes to all drop off and the fish bleeds out. No real way around that though.
The other issue is timing - you need to dose it 8 or 9 days apart to try and break the life cycle of any egg laying flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May or may not be flukes rarely seen with the naked eye. Any pics you can provide under white lighting?
What other symptoms are you seeing?
I will try to take some photos tomorrow, it will be hard to see. I believed it happened to the yellow tang about 5 weeks ago. It used to eat a lot of food and roam around the tank. All sudden, it started eating less and less and stay one spot. It breaths heavy and shake/jerk a lot. It ate and spit out, it seems something bothers its mouth. No sign of white patches. Yellow Tang eats again but nowhere near before. My sunburst has a popeye for a couple of weeks then the second eye got infected. It is in the QT treated with Maracyn. Then one day I saw three whites patches on its back of one of the fire fish, I thought someone bites it and it faded a few days later. Then it has couple more patches. Now I see other two fire fishes have it too. Sometimes, They scratched themselves against the rock. It seems only fire fishes have it. I do not see these white small patches on basslets, wrasses, anthias. If I looked very closely I can see a small white translucent films on their bodies (fire fishes). It seems it dropped off or move around. Last week, mu scooter perfectly healthy and young just hid in one spot and found dead. Please help to identify the diseases.
I found this photo on line, it looks exactly like these

purple fire fish.jpg fish.JPG

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to take some photos tomorrow, it will be hard to see. I believed it happened to the yellow tang about 5 weeks ago. It used to eat a lot of food and roam around the tank. All sudden, it started eating less and less and stay one spot. It breaths heavy and shake/jerk a lot. It ate and spit out, it seems something bothers its mouth. No sign of white patches. Yellow Tang eats again but nowhere near before. My sunburst has a popeye for a couple of weeks then the second eye got infected. It is in the QT treated with Maracyn. Then one day I saw three whites patches on its back of one of the fire fish, I thought someone bites it and it faded a few days later. Then it has couple more patches. Now I see other two fire fishes have it too. Sometimes, They scratched themselves against the rock. It seems only fire fishes have it. I do not see these white small patches on basslets, wrasses, anthias. If I looked very closely I can see a small white translucent films on their bodies (fire fishes). It seems it dropped off or move around. Last week, mu scooter perfectly healthy and young just hid in one spot and found dead. Please help to identify the diseases.
I found this photo on line, it looks exactly like these

purple fire fish.jpg fish.JPG

It's possible that there are multiple issues going on and that they are not all related. However, the scratching does sound like flukes. That said, purple firefish are also prone to getting a copepod parasite and prazipro won't help with that. A FW dip would, but catching those up to do that is going to be difficult/impossible.

Jay

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that there are multiple issues going on and that they are not all related. However, the scratching does sound like flukes. That said, purple firefish are also prone to getting a copepod parasite and prazipro won't help with that. A FW dip would, but catching those up to do that is going to be difficult/impossible.

Jay
thank you - FW dip prior to medication is a great idea so we can nail down the issue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back