Jaebo pumps

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang I’ve been going back and forth about what pumps to use for my new 360 gallon set up. I’ve always used Mag Drive pumps mainly because I trust them and they’ve never failed me however they do use a lot of electricity and tend to run hot and more importantly they’re not the most quiet pumps lol. So having said that I’m contemplating trying the jaebo dcp pumps due to the mostly positive reviews I’ve seen on here for them as far as performance and price point. So I’m wondering how they perform compared to an ac pump as far as head pressure? If I use a mag 18 which is 1800 gph will a jaebo dcp rated for 1800 gph push the same amount of water with head pressure loss or do I need a bigger dcp pump to perform the same task? Also I notice the threads on connections aren’t standard like I would find at Home Depot? Where would I get the fittings I need to plumb these for returns? Also the mag drives I’ve always soft plumbed out of necessity to reduce vibration and noise is it the same for dc pumps or are you guys hard plumbing the dc pumps? Any feedback would be appreciated i am trying to design the new set up to be as quiet as possible and not have 400 watts of power running with the mag drives lol.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out the mantis tornados...i have a 6000 and it is dead slient and been going strong for 6 months..IK only early days..also Parkers reef on youtube does a review

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to jebao for my return pumps 2 mdp 5000 for my 210 and it’s way overkill. Have 2 mow 22s for powerheads for over a year now 0 issues. Return pump has a fitting for 1” schedule 40 pvc so don’t know what other issues you could see from plumbing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao are best pumps on market, always run two return pumps no matter what brand. I am running 3 dcp 8000 for 3 years no issue. You want the dcp version. They move way more water than any competitor, handle high pressure applications very well, the only true completely silent pump, zero noise.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to jebao for my return pumps 2 mdp 5000 for my 210 and it’s way overkill. Have 2 mow 22s for powerheads for over a year now 0 issues. Return pump has a fitting for 1” schedule 40 pvc so don’t know what other issues you could see from plumbing.
Ok so standard pvc fittings will work on them that’s good to know thanks!

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao are best pumps on market, always run two return pumps no matter what brand. I am running 3 dcp 8000 for 3 years no issue. You want the dcp version. They move way more water than any competitor, handle high pressure applications very well, the only true completely silent pump, zero noise.
Glad to hear it the dcp version is what I was planning on using.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know the only difference between dcp and mdp is mdp is the Wi-Fi model with slightly different controller.
Yeah I forgot to ask about the differences in the various models they have. It seems like the majority of people are using the dcp line and it has the best reviews wasn’t sure about the others and their features so thanks!

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my upcoming "Bob's midlife crisis reef explosion" build -- thread pending...

I'm planning on using these -- same Chinese manufacturer. These have 0-10V Apex interfaces for variable speed, too. Great for automating a super-low speed feed mode, higher speed cleaning mode, etc.

In terms of quality -- on my last reef - I pretty much exclusively used Jebao (aka fish street, aka Amazon) pumps. I never had one fail, and with how inexpensive they are (~$150) vs. an Abyzz (~$1500+) -- I can afford to have a second/third as a backup!

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my upcoming "Bob's midlife crisis reef explosion" build -- thread pending...

I'm planning on using these -- same Chinese manufacturer. These have 0-10V Apex interfaces for variable speed, too. Great for automating a super-low speed feed mode, higher speed cleaning mode, etc.

In terms of quality -- on my last reef - I pretty much exclusively used Jebao (aka fish street, aka Amazon) pumps. I never had one fail, and with how inexpensive they are (~$150) vs. an Abyzz (~$1500+) -- I can afford to have a second/third as a backup!
Agreed that’s one of the selling points for me because I always run two return pumps and like a back up on standby. If I bought three Abyzz pumps I’d probably be divorced lol!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know the only difference between dcp and mdp is mdp is the Wi-Fi model with slightly different controller
@JC1977 I'm not sure if it's the mdp but there is a version that the controller only has 10 settings. My dcp pumps controllers allow the power to be set at increments of 1%. While not a big deal it can be usefull when trying to fine tune it to a finicky system like redsea uses on their down pipe. I'm running 2 of the smaller dcp pumps, a 3500 and a 5000 and I will say they are silent.

OP
OP
JC1977

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JC1977 I'm not sure if it's the mdp but there is a version that the controller only has 10 settings. My dcp pumps controllers allow the power to be set at increments of 1%. While not a big deal it can be usefull when trying to fine tune it to a finicky system like redsea uses on their down pipe. I'm running 2 of the smaller dcp pumps, a 3500 and a 5000 and I will say they are silent.
Good to know I’m considering running a herbie style drain on the new build so having that ability could be very useful also good to hear another owner speaking to them being silent! Thanks!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of there pumps dcp 2500 uv loop (way to powerful. I need to get a dcs-1200), 6500 main return and dcs-1200 for a nano.

I did have a problem with the 2500 controller as it wouldn’t adjust butreturned it and got a new one.

Imo I don’t see why you would buy any other pumps unless you want wifi capability but cant see why as I just turn mine off and on using my Apex.

Also they are dead quiet.

I don’t understand why other pumps are so expensive. They are all made in China most likely.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2, Jebao MDP-20000 pumps for my setup. I really wanted DC and internal and BRS tried to sell me a very expensive pump (thousands). I got 2 Jebao’s for around $500.

The build quality is good- reminds me of a Vectra. I have only run it in a 5 gallon bucket of water but it was dead silent (aside from the giant fountain it created). The controller is solid and responsive when it comes to buttons but overall feels cheap compared to others. The power brick looks and feels good- appropriately sized and didnt. Versus the $3,500 for the “brand name” internal DC pump I needed, I could go through 10 of these every 5 years and still come out on top.

If you search, I posted a similar thread about a month or two ago and got a lot of really great feedback on Jebao pumps.

I also spent 20+ hours researching and reading reviews and watching videos.

I will be running 2 with check valves since I have to go up 13’ through the floor and only want to run so many 1.5” pipes through my home. One will work 24/7 and the other will get “exercised” every month.

I always recommend budgeting for two returns and I think most of us older reefers will do the same. Even if only one is plumbed in (but honestly I wish I had two returns for two pumps).

Edited: fixed typos.

Last edited:

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mdp being Wi-Fi can be 1-100

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the DCP for the 1 percent increments as well. The sdk wifi models also will control at 1 percent increments. I love the jebao pumps, they do the job for a good price. Only downside that's inherent with all DC pumps is that head numbers can be misleading.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back