Let it go? Let it grow? Change it up? The struggles of being content....

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any changes you would make or should I go hands off for a while besides regular maintenance. Move things? Add coral/Rock? Let it grow?
1000002163.jpg

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful! What size? It’s an impossible question to answer because while I think it’s stunning, if it were me I would want to tinker because I wouldn’t be able to stop myself!
Yes the tinkering has been an issue for me in the past and has kept me from seeing what I am capable of. A lot of pictures I look back on in the years have looked great and I have realized I tinker something's and make things worse. Honestly in 3 years of reefing I have not let a tank mature enough to see before changing it. It is very hard for me to not move things around. The tank is a nuvo m60 (24 gal) upgraded from an evo about 6 months ago. I go through phases with this hobby like many others and I think tinkering keeps me involved.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is hard not to hoard and pick up new things. I know the answer is to let it grow, but easier said then done for me.
I'm getting ready to add a frag tank because I have to get new coral every week or two, I need help! I know the pain.....

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is hard not to hoard and pick up new things. I know the answer is to let it grow, but easier said then done for me.
You know what? It’s okay. Say it with me “Hi, my name is ewoolpert and I am a coral/fishaholic”, it is totally okay. If it makes you happy, tinker. If watching and waiting makes you happy, do that! Hobbies are meant to nourish our souls and drain our wallets one way or another. And yes, more tanks!

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to add a frag tank because I have to get new coral every week or two, I need help! I know the pain.....
Yes I took my old 13.5 gallon evo a frag tank when I upgraded. It was in my storage room though and I did not give it the attention it deserved because it is not in sight daily. I may either start it back up as a frag tank, or talk my wife into a mantis tank. I just have to make sure it is in a spot that I will see it and keep up with it.

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what? It’s okay. Say it with me “Hi, my name is ewoolpert and I am a coral/fishaholic”, it is totally okay. If it makes you happy, tinker. If watching and waiting makes you happy, do that! Hobbies are meant to nourish our souls and drain our wallets one way or another. And yes, more tanks!
Odd thing is that I grew up doing freshwater for 20 years and now that I am into salt, fish are probably 20% and coral is 80%. I have fallen into the addiction of coral.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd thing is that I grew up doing freshwater for 20 years and now that I am into salt, fish are probably 20% and coral is 80%. I have fallen into the addiction of coral.
I started with freshwater as well and now I have 4 saltwater tanks and just bought two 80 gallon frag tanks (got a crazy deal from a store that went out of business) that I will be trying to set up in a few months. My kids like the fish, I am in love with coral. I am thankful that my husband is a big gamer and has spent a ton of years on gaming gear and games because he doesn’t ask how much I spend on coral since I did the dutiful thing for years and never complained about the gaming. Patience paid off!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely hands off. If you need to tinker, try teaching your clowns to do tricks. And, no, I'm not kidding- fish can be taught simple tricks if you bribe them with food and use something like a target stick. Same technique they use to train seals and dolphins, just way smaller.

OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely hands off. If you need to tinker, try teaching your clowns to do tricks. And, no, I'm not kidding- fish can be taught simple tricks if you bribe them with food and use something like a target stick. Same technique they use to train seals and dolphins, just way smaller.
Hmm never thought to do this.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I just need more tanks in order to let one be for a while ;)
Thats my suggestion :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: my 180g is my oldest tank 8 years I'm just letting it grow. I also like to tinker and switch things up to keep from getting bored so I added a reefer 170 to the bedroom. It's pretty much finished and has a large blue haddoni with no room for anything else. Next up reefer 300 in the dining room. This is my current project going all in on acro. I see a 7 or 8ft tank some time this year to replace my 180g but I'm having trouble deciding on a tank. Yes I have a problem :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than one way to enjoy the hobby. If you like to tinker, buy new stuff, sell old stuff, trade, swap, rescape or whatever, just go for it imo. Yes there are pros to keeping hands off, but don't let anyone tell you that you have to just sit there passively if you don't want to. There is no single "answer"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back