Light night assistance.

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my first reef tank in about April. It’s only a 20 gallon high, with a 10 gallon sump. I went a bit (lot) overboard with certain equipment for future tank upgrading. One of them is my light. I have a kessil A360x hanging about 15 inches over the water. Until now the lighting hasn’t been to much of an issue because all I had was fish. But now I got a few of my first corals. The light is currently set to the pre-programmed day cycle, and is running both the 14 day acclimation program, and the lunar program. So far the corals I have are some zoanthids, a micromussa lord, a Rico reds mushroom, a hammer, a red war coral, and a cyphastrea( wwc’s random coral box can be blamed for those last two)

so far none of the corals seem to be doing badly, but the lights are dimmed and I’m not sure how they’re gonna do once the lights are at full strength.

I unfortunately don’t have a par meter.

Any advice for lighting hight and settings would be appreciated.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
“…. late night assistance”

980B19D3-BFF7-413C-ADF8-60E7FAD4E267.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to have them at full strength, that would be far too much, somewhere around 30% will be more than enough.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to have them at full strength, that would be far too much, somewhere around 30% will be more than enough.
Any idea how I’d scale the the day cycle to that? I personally like the idea of my tank getting a sun rise / sun set like they would out in the wild.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how I’d scale the the day cycle to that? I personally like the idea of my tank getting a sun rise / sun set like they would out in the wild.

Just set up a manual program, depending which controller you have, loads of videos on YouTube to help.

Keep in mind that the fish would appreciate a dark period too.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the kessil phone app.

Watch this, should help. I think you can set the colour you want but if I remember correctly I don't think you can include the moon light effects etc you could set the colours manually that you want though....just checked you can add effects in the manual mode setting!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back