Lobophytum white spots

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t usually worry but this is my most prized leather I have so just wanted to double check. However there seems to be white spots in the leather which are new. I’ve had this leather thriving for a few months now.
Here’s a filtered and unfiltered photo.
9DB8F9EE-AE0C-4237-8FCE-B65FDF706CFC.jpeg

image.jpg

I don’t know the exact parameters however everything is within the usual guidelines. My only thought is maybe shedding although he’s shedded 2-3 times already (usually 2 times a month).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine, they do that when they get bigger.
Think of it like a stretch mark :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Thankyou!
I don’t usually worry when it comes to things with my leathers (I have 4 ‘true’ leathers and 2 Capnella) so I’m pretty used to how temperamental they are.
This guy is just one Lobophytum I’ve never seen before as it’s neon polyped with neon green basing. Photos never do it justice but here he is open (I believe he’s shedding so this is an older photo).
AF158AF7-0032-4192-9021-3856FDF2DF82.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are indeed a beautiful an interesting coral :)
I actually own 4 leathers - 2 types of Lobophytum, one that looks fairly regular and the other same as in the picture (neon green), as well as 2 Sarcophytons, one with somewhat long tentacles and the other Madagascar.

Putting aside the tiny Madagascar frag, I own the others for around 13 to 15 years, they were between the first corals I purchased.

I usually cut the Lobophytums once a year when they reach the size of a large human hand, and my Sarcophyton twice and sometimes even 3 times a year when it reaches the size of a human-head-and-half :grinning-face-with-sweat:
What's interesting though, is that their bases are the original bases I started with, but they grew to be stiff and around 4" thick from all the cuttings.

I moved on with many corals I had over time, but these few are the ones I just couldn't get rid off, they mean something to me too I guess :winking-face:

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are indeed a beautiful an interesting coral :)
I actually own 4 leathers - 2 types of Lobophytum, one that looks fairly regular and the other same as in the picture (neon green), as well as 2 Sarcophytons, one with somewhat long tentacles and the other Madagascar.

Putting aside the tiny Madagascar frag, I own the others for around 13 to 15 years, they were between the first corals I purchased.

I usually cut the Lobophytums once a year when they reach the size of a large human hand, and my Sarcophyton twice and sometimes even 3 times a year when it reaches the size of a human-head-and-half :grinning-face-with-sweat:
What's interesting though, is that their bases are the original bases I started with, but they grew to be stiff and around 4" thick from all the cuttings.

I moved on with many corals I had over time, but these few are the ones I just couldn't get rid off, they mean something to me too I guess :winking-face:
It’s my dream to get hold of a Sarcophyton but all the ones I find are in shed and I can’t tell what their polyps look like, 13-15 years though?! My oldest frags are from a colony i lost in 2019 but thrived through an ammonia spike and are now 10ish years old. Again, they’re Lobophytum but they’re blue instead of green.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe yeah it's been awhile :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Honestly, if you were living around here I would've invited you over to get some free frags, when I cut them I have plenty (~40 2-3" frags...)

I don't have a good picture of them on hand, but if you look at the lower left, behind the Duncans you'll see a shedding Lobophytum, and on the bottom right, behind the Candy canes is my huge, oversized Sarcophyton. You'll not be able to see the others in this picture though, one is just too small and the other can be seen only from the right side.

And it's a 6ft, for scale.

IMG_7246 2.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe yeah it's been awhile :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Honestly, if you were living around here I would've invited you over to get some free frags, when I cut them I have plenty (~40 2-3" frags...)

I don't have a good picture of them on hand, but if you look at the lower left, behind the Duncans you'll see a shedding Lobophytum, and on the bottom right, behind the Candy canes is my huge, oversized Sarcophyton. You'll not be able to see the others in this picture though, one is just too small and the other can be seen only from the right side.

And it's a 6ft, for scale.

IMG_7246 2.jpg
That is a gorgeous tank!
Mine looks new compared to yours. Here’s an older FTS, I believe 5 of the 6 Leathers are visible, one is a tiny drag but the others are pretty much in your face colonies.
4A204158-A914-4C2A-A9CA-A282F79E5A90.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yours looks amazing too!

Nice thing about most softies (which becomes an issue later on hehe) is that they grow rather quickly, so in a year your new frags will have a really nice presence.

You really are missing on a nice looking Sarcophyton though :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Try looking around you if anyone is selling a Madagascar, it's a bit overpriced (at least here) but it's one of the most beautiful toadstools in existence and worth every penny. Not even kidding, look it up ;)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, yours looks amazing too!

Nice thing about most softies (which becomes an issue later on hehe) is that they grow rather quickly, so in a year your new frags will have a really nice presence.

You really are missing on a nice looking Sarcophyton though :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Try looking around you if anyone is selling a Madagascar, it's a bit overpriced (at least here) but it's one of the most beautiful toadstools in existence and worth every penny. Not even kidding, look it up ;)
That’s the sort of Sarcophyton I want! A nice long polyped Sarco. I’m also hunting for a Yellow Leather.

I’m excited to have some nice large colonies honestly, it’s the nicest thing I find with Softies is they fill in a tank fast.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this;
I did find string at the bottom and cut it to remove it. The toadstool unfortunately didn’t do too well but did show a bit of recovery after a dip. He has now just been declining for the past few weeks unfortunately.
Sorry for the bad photo - my lights are ramping down currently.
image.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back