Made 2 changes which one caused my problems lights or carbon?

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. First a little background on my setup. It’s a 75 gallon Innovative marine EXT. The tank is 36x24x20 high. Lighting is a Hamilton Cebu sun 24” with 1 250 Radium bulb, 4 t5s and 2 reefbrite xhos. The t5 combo was 2 ati blue plus 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus. The light schedule was reed brites on at 11am till 1130 pm t5s on at 12 pm off at 10pm radium on at 1pm off at 8:30pm. I kept the same schedule but switched out the coral plus and purple plus for a aqua blue special and a Giesemann tropic. A week later I ran carbon for the first time in a long time. Now I’m getting stn on a couple frags. The worst is on my scop and rr rainbow loom. Both high up in the tank. The last time I ran carbon a week later I lost my Kenberry. The tank has been running 1 year this month with live rock transferred from a smaller tank that ran for over a year. My parameters have been stable checking every other day at
Alk 7.8 Hanna
Cal 450 Hanna
Mag 1350 salifert
Po3 5
Po4 .002
Salinity 1.026 Milwaukee digital
Temp 79
Flow is 2 mp40s running random modes at 100%
Ant tips on what I should do now? TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Carbon

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Doesn’t seem like the light change should matter much from your description. Although, it could be the combination.

When you say running carbon, you mean using GAC right?
Yes GAC seachem matrix. I’m only running my t5s for 2 hours a day right now. The metal halide and reefbrites are on the same schedule. Do you think turning down the lights will help them recover better?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes GAC seachem matrix. I’m only running my t5s for 2 hours a day right now. The metal halide and reefbrites are on the same schedule. Do you think turning down the lights will help them recover better?
I thought matrix was just a bio filter (surface area for bacteria). I would say not changing anything else would be best, but I’m not a hard core sps guy. Let’s see if @jda is around.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reducing white will help. Keep parameters STABLE

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought matrix was just a bio filter (surface area for bacteria). I would say not changing anything else would be best, but I’m not a hard core sps guy. Let’s see if @jda is around.
Yes they do have a matrix that’s a bio filter but also a carbon.

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference in the white stuff (biofilter) and the granular activated carbon.
I have both. The GAC is what I just added the white matrix has been in the sump for probably 7 months. Here is a pic of the carbon and the corals that are doing poorly.

F2058C9A-E492-4542-99A6-CF93A37AF2B2.jpeg C9618777-100E-4FBB-BE94-67737C04EB22.jpeg 553996D4-2EFF-446F-A328-597BE627DCBA.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it was the carbon mainly but very possibly a combo of both. Carbon not only can strip water of needed nutrients but also removes organics that discolor the water making the water much clearer. Clearer water means more light penetration and increases PAR. Add all of it together and things can go wrong for sps, new T5 bulbs+cleaner clearer water with better light penetration+a rapid removeal of organic nutrients from the water= stressed corals. I don't like using carbon any more and only do if its a must. I dont use the higher quality carbon either as it dose its job too well, cheapest carbon at Petsmart works just fine.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the carbon and it sounds like it’s happened to you before. I’ve never had an issue with acros running carbon, but I use another brand and a very small amount. Maybe try switching brands?

But honestly, if I lost acros using carbon I’d drop it like a bad habit!

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the carbon and it sounds like it’s happened to you before. I’ve never had an issue with acros running carbon, but I use another brand and a very small amount. Maybe try switching brands?

But honestly, if I lost acros using carbon I’d drop it like a bad habit!
The last time it happened I thought it was just a fluke. Looking back there was nothing else changed other than running carbon. I agree no more carbon for this tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most likely it was the carbon mainly but very possibly a combo of both. Carbon not only can strip water of needed nutrients but also removes organics that discolor the water making the water much clearer. Clearer water means more light penetration and increases PAR. Add all of it together and things can go wrong for sps, new T5 bulbs+cleaner clearer water with better light penetration+a rapid removeal of organic nutrients from the water= stressed corals. I don't like using carbon any more and only do if its a must. I dont use the higher quality carbon either as it dose its job too well, cheapest carbon at Petsmart works just fine.
This post I think sums up what I believe probably is the issue. I do prefer ROX carbon when I use anything.

What was the reason you ran the carbon?

OP
OP
R

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post I think sums up what I believe probably is the issue. I do prefer ROX carbon when I use anything.

What was the reason you ran the carbon?
Only because I thought my water was a little yellow and wanted that crystal clear water.

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly. I'm SO glad I ran across this thread. I did some maintenance on our 300 gallon over the weekend and got rid of the old (months old...) ROX carbon and GFO. I replaced the ROX but not the GFO. 3 of our montis are bleaching out. I re-tested everything and there is no change in params.

I wouldn't have thought ROX, but I took it off line to see if that's the issue. @rcollic, please keep us posted on how your SPS are recovering!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back