Melanarus Problem

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if I should get rid of mine or not. I've added to two wrasses over the last 4 days and he is not letting either come out of the rock. I have others, two hooded, punctatus and lunatus and he doesn't bother them. Some of those were added after him as well. My Lunatus is only like 1.5". Any recommendations?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? I did end up catch him and putting him in my sump for now. Should I bring him back or re introduce him after a few days? One of the wrasses I finally came out now that he is gone.

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let him stay in the sunp for about two weeks, letting the new wrasses settle in, and reintroduce him. Its not unusual for a melanarus to get a little nippy with newly introduced wrasses.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a social acclimation box? They really do help lessen aggression and even if it doesn't you can see the potential issues prior to releasing the new fish.

Which fish did you catch, the melanurus or the cf. lanceolatus?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A social acclimation box is what I use too for a few days.
Of course after I QT my new fish and they went already to the stress period and eating well.
I leave them in the acclimation box for at least 4 days and all fish are used to the new comer I release it.
The new fish can also get used to their new home that way and doesn't feel stressed when released.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had trouble with melanarus or vroliks. Hope he behaves better upon re introduction

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A social acclimation box is what I use too for a few days.
Of course after I QT my new fish and they went already to the stress period and eating well.
I leave them in the acclimation box for at least 4 days and all fish are used to the new comer I release it.
The new fish can also get used to their new home that way and doesn't feel stressed when released.

Thats not a bad idea. I didn't even think of that.

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly they are one of the easiest fish to catch. They are so food aggressive if you make a fish trap from a bag and fishing line and a small weight, throw some food in the bag and bam he'll swim right in

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what to do because it was a PITA to catch him and what happens when I add more wrasses again?
Trade him out for another one, IMO. Vroliks are cool too

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually want to get rid of my melanarus because he eats all of the snails in the tank. I feed this guy every day and still he picks at the snails..

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good suggestions here. Do this and things will likely be much better. Re-Arrange ALL Rock work in a completely new looking environment. As you may already be aware Territory' s are established by fish. I have done this with success with Angels and a 8 line wrasse. Last Resort trade the bad butt in to a LFS or sell him. Good Luck

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an aggressive melanarus or Vroliks. Not saying it's uncommon, but I've owned 2-3 at a time for 10 years or more. I've never had an aggressive fish. I've had probably 10 total. (I tend to sell fish once they reach 5")

Although highly anecdotal data, I personally would ditch him and get another. They're hardy and not hard to find!

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? I did end up catch him and putting him in my sump for now. Should I bring him back or re introduce him after a few days? One of the wrasses I finally came out now that he is gone.
I had a melanurus for a few years, it got more and more aggressive especially to other wrasses so I eventually re homed it. If I was you I would do the same.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back