Mixing All For Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it supposed to be a brownish color when mixed for the powder?

Can I add solution from the powder form into a container that has the original liquid created solution?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I add solution from the powder form into a container that has the original liquid created solution?
Yes it does have a slight tan color

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for help
As far as adding more powder to a container of premixed solution, I would recommend either adding the water first, then the powder, or preferably mix the new batch in a seperate container then add it to the old batch. This is so there is no chance of triggering precipitation of anything.

I'm going off the chemistry rule of add acid to water, never water to acid due to possible chemical reactions.
I'm not saying afr is an acid though, just an example of possible issues that could happen doing it the other way.

OP
OP
FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry basically I want to know if I can add the solution I mixed up already from powder form into my dosing reservoir which still has some of my solution from the liquid all for reef.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry basically I want to know if I can add the solution I mixed up already from powder form into my dosing reservoir which still has some of my solution from the liquid all for reef.
Yes you can add newly mixed solution to the reservoir with old already In it.

On a side note try to keep the container it stored in as air tight as you can.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a slight brownish color or a slight brownish sediment is from trace metals iron and manganese which are added to All-For-Reef. These trace metals are necessary for good coral growth.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a slight brownish color or a slight brownish sediment is from trace metals iron and manganese which are added to All-For-Reef. These trace metals are necessary for good coral growth.
In this case, would you recommend using a magnetic stirer to resuspend the sediment before dosing?

And a follow up question, if the iron and manganese are precipitated, those precipitate will remain unavailable when added into the aquarium, right?

Thanks for the clarification.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I have not noted any difference if I stir the precipitates up or if I add them when emptying the container.

At least for iron the usual view in my opinion is not quite complete or correct at all. Iron exists in alkalinic and oxygenic seawater as iron(III) and also dissolved iron is mostly iron(III).

How can that be? In such environments iron is dissolved as organic complexes. Organic ligands form complexes preferably with iron(III). The iron(III) ion is smaller and higher charged (one electron less and one positive charge more) and in this way it forms much stronger complexes with organic ligands. For takeup by organisms, mainly bacteria that also excreted the organic ligands, iron(III) is actively reduced to iron(II), the complex in this way is weakened, the iron(II) is released from the complex as ion and can be taken up.

Organic ligands form complexes also with particulate iron and make it soluble in this way. This makes also precipitated iron bioavailable.

All other things you may frequently read about iron(II) and solubility in saltwater is at least grossly incomplete. In the oceans iron(II) as permanent form of iron just doesn't exist in oxgenic water.

Last edited:

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I have not noted any difference if I stir the precipitates up or if I add them when emptying the container.

At least for iron the usual view in my opinion is not quite complete or correct at all. Iron exists in alkalinic and oxygenic seawater as iron(III) and also dissolved iron is mostly iron(III).

How can that be? In such environments iron is dissolved as organic complexes. Organic ligands form complexes preferably with iron(III). The iron(III) ion is smaller and higher charged (one electron less and one positive charge more) and in this way it forms much stronger complexes with organic ligands. For takeup by organisms, mainly bacteria that also excreted the organic ligands, iron(III) is actively reduced to iron(II), the complex in this way is weakened, the iron(II) is released from the complex as ion and can be taken up.

All other things you may frequently read about iron(II) and solubility in saltwater is at least grossly incomplete. In the oceans iron(II) as permanent form of iron just doesn't exist in oxgenic water.
I agree with you that probably the iron are mostly chelated. My question was specifically about those precipitates. Thanks!

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just supplemented it above. For chelators it doesn't matter much if the iron is precipitated. Particulate iron in the form of dust or sediment is one of the most important forms in which iron enters the oceans. Chelators make these particulate forms of iron(III) water soluble.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just supplemented it above. For chelators it doesn't matter much if the iron is precipitated. Particulate iron in the form of dust or sediment is one of the most important forms in which iron enters the oceans. Chelators make these particulate forms of iron(III) water soluble.
Thank you for the answer! Much appreciated.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Quite an extensive study.

Bacteria mediated dissolving of iron is very fancinating. It seems like microbial activities in the immediate environments can significantly improve iron availability to phytoplankton.

The study identified bacilius shaped bacteria in the biofilm. I wonder if our aquarium system may lack certain bacteria, and as a result, have low bio-availablity of iron.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back