Mixing Kessil lights?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase some used Kessil lights (less than a year old) for my new 5x2x2 mixed reef. I'm looking at 2 A360WE's and 1 A360W.

I will be controlling them from an Apex.

From what I've read the the "E" lights are brighter and more energy efficient.

My question is, as this is my first reef tank experience, will I experience any issues with evenly lighting my tank, or matching the lights for sunrise/sunset, by mixing lighting? Am I better off matching all three lights?

Thanks in advance,
J

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase some used Kessil lights (less than a year old) for my new 5x2x2 mixed reef. I'm looking at 2 A360WE's and 1 A360W.

I will be controlling them from an Apex.

From what I've read the the "E" lights are brighter and more energy efficient.

My question is, as this is my first reef tank experience, will I experience any issues with evenly lighting my tank, or matching the lights for sunrise/sunset, by mixing lighting? Am I better off matching all three lights?

Thanks in advance,
J
That is a very good question. As you mentioned there were variances between the W and the WE, but i dont think it would cause an issue and you wont really notice much difference visually.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1W and 2WEs with the W in the center you can’t tell a difference. The only thing I notice is the w can run at a lower setting on my apex VDM so at night it stays on longer than the WEs

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1W and 2WEs with the W in the center you can’t tell a difference. The only thing I notice is the w can run at a lower setting on my apex VDM so at night it stays on longer than the WEs

So I'm connecting my 2WEs and 1W to a Profilux controller. I can either connect them in series and control them as one light, or individually as 3 separate lights. (Connecting as 1 light is cheaper, so that's my first choice.)

As I understand it, when you daisy-chain the units together, any settings on the control knobs are ignored. So my question is, do you find the light output of the two models similar enough that if the control knobs are set the same (or daisy-chained) that the light looks the same? Or does the W need to be set drastically differently to match?

(if it's drastically different I would need to by an additional box to control the W separately to match the WEs)

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color looks exactly the same and the intensity is different but it is slight enough no one has ever noticed but me.

The issue I described only happens as the lights dim in the evening. Durring About the last minute before my apex lowers the 0-10 to a point all the lights turn off the W alone remains on while the WE’s are off. The W is able to run at a lower power setting.

This doesn’t happen in the morning. It may be that a higher threshold is needed to turn on the lights than to turn them off.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color looks exactly the same and the intensity is different but it is slight enough no one has ever noticed but me.

The issue I described only happens as the lights dim in the evening. Durring About the last minute before my apex lowers the 0-10 to a point all the lights turn off the W alone remains on while the WE’s are off. The W is able to run at a lower power setting.

This doesn’t happen in the morning. It may be that a higher threshold is needed to turn on the lights than to turn them off.

Cool. I think I'll give it a shot controlling as one and if it annoys me too much I'll bust the W out on it's own. Thanks.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run three daisy chained but thought I read something that the third one in line had noticeably lower intensity. Just something to to investigate.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run three daisy chained but thought I read something that the third one in line had noticeably lower intensity. Just something to to investigate.

All I can say is that this has not been an issue for me. I see no explanation for why the third would be dimmer.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 0-10v signal drops across the span of lights.

This may be true but the question of the OP is about mixing different Kessil lights. I see no reason why mixing would be any different than three of the same light.

I will also say that I have seen systems with as many as 10 kessils all run in series with no discernible difference in output. I am sure at some point the voltage will diminish but it is at a point we are unlikely to encounter in a real world application.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be true but the question of the OP is about mixing different Kessil lights. I see no reason why mixing would be any different than three of the same light.

I will also say that I have seen systems with as many as 10 kessils all run in series with no discernible difference in output. I am sure at some point the voltage will diminish but it is at a point we are unlikely to encounter in a real world application.

I just mentioned that it was something to look out for. In that regard, the Apex module wont power up four A360WEs in series.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back