Mods

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can find the entire Terms of Service you agreed to when signing up.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily; it must comply with the Terms of Service. The most relevant section in my mind being:

Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and, if necessary, ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.​
Full link above, provided by dbl.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking to offer constructive criticism that you feel could help the site grow and better serve the community, while not calling out any specific member(s) and avoiding the use of profanity, then sure - I think we welcome the opportunity to grow and improve. Those threads are often carefully watched to ensure everyone stays in line and no problems arise, but healthy discussion is... well... healthy.

If you're looking to just make a negative statement, I'd suggest not. It's not likely to lead to anything good. Feel free to PM a mod (or me, if you want) if you need to talk through something that's bothering you rather than rant into a thread that will just be deleted (and frustrate you more, I'm sure).

If you see a post you feel is out-of-line, please use the "Report" button. It's quick and easy and will get the proper attention to the post in the most efficient manner possible. Your reporting a post (whether it's a violation or not) will not be made public.

(And, of course, see ToS above.)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are looking to offer constructive criticism that you feel could help the site grow and better serve the community, while not calling out any specific member(s) and avoiding the use of profanity, then sure - I think we welcome the opportunity to grow and improve. Those threads are often carefully watched to ensure everyone stays in line and no problems arise, but healthy discussion is... well... healthy.

If you're looking to just make a negative statement, I'd suggest not. It's not likely to lead to anything good. Feel free to PM a mod (or me, if you want) if you need to talk through something that's bothering you rather than rant into a thread that will just be deleted (and frustrate you more, I'm sure).

If you see a post you feel is out-of-line, please use the "Report" button. It's quick and easy and will get the proper attention to the post in the most efficient manner possible. Your reporting a post (whether it's a violation or not) will not be made public.

(And, of course, see ToS above.)
VERY well-said! As stated here, we are happy to discuss questions or critiques with you. If you think it might be something that shouldn't be posted on the open forum, we're happy to dialogue via PM regarding any question/concern. Thanks very much for taking the time to ask first!

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am reading here is that the answer is not entirely black and white. Its subjective and depends on the thoughts or feelings of a particular moderator. Which, if those are the rules, is fine. Its just difficult sometimes to navigate the gray area. Thanks for all the thoughtful responses, well except for one of you lol.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am reading here is that the answer is not entirely black and white. Its subjective and depends on the thoughts or feelings of a particular moderator. Which, if those are the rules, is fine. Its just difficult sometimes to navigate the gray area. Thanks for all the thoughtful responses, well except for one of you lol.

This is unfortunately part of being on an online forum. Not every mod will share the same viewpoints on what they do or don't do about a particular situation or issue. We are, afterall, human. And every person is unique so things will always be handled differently with different people.

As long as you follow the TOS you will for the most part be fine. I myself have had a couple run ins with the R2R team and at the end of the day, it's really not worth it. All it's done is ruin some friendships and caused unnecessary stress. Not that they are bad people or anything, we just have very different viewpoints on certain things and I'm too stubborn to change. Now I usually just stick to my regular threads and don't bother wasting my time with the politics of the forum or how things are handled.

Even after all the differences, R2R is still an awesome forum to be a part of and I do happily support it, have for a few years now and I don't see that stopping. I've met some great people here and plenty of people willing to help at the drop of a hat, doesn't get any better than that. So that's what I choose to focus on and ignore those that might ruin my R2R experience members and staff alike. Although you can't technically ignore staff ;Shifty :p

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do also want to be sure to point out that the staff discusses decisions of moderation as a team, so at the end of the day, none of us are making decisions in maverick/lone ranger style. We're definitely not perfect (nothing involving human beings ever is), but we do our absolute best to be fair. That certainly doesn't mean we never end up in disagreement with members, but it does mean that no member is ever left without the staff team looking into the situation to try and help resolve the issue. Also, we're willing to discuss any point of disagreement with anyone, so please definitely feel free to reach out, and even if we don't agree, we're happy to consider any constructive criticism offered. In fact, many of the ways that we've gotten better as a forum have been members who were willing to contact us with their thoughts/suggestions. :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do also want to be sure to point out that the staff discusses decisions of moderation as a team
This, big time. Most of you would be entertained for hours if you saw how much we can debate seemingly trivial things behind the scenes. But we do really try to keep things fair and consistent in all of our decisions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back