NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4821.jpeg

Nice photo of the neon green Caulastrea! So hard to get a detailed shot with their strong glow.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the lagoon: It's been about 2 weeks since I first put my corals in. They're starting to color up nicely. Thought I would take some shots before lights out :)

I have 4 new frags coming from AquaSD tomorrow, so I will be doing another update on the new corals sometime tomorrow.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4917.jpeg

IMG_4918.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4919.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the Lagoon: starting to see some decent growth; colors are looking pretty nice as well
1f642.png

If any of you are looking for a skimmer or reactor for your nano, I highly recommend the Eshopps nano skimmer and the IM Desktop reactor. These pieces of equipment are working wonders in my tank.

Not getting many replies on my thread, so I probably won't be updating for a little while. When I start to see some dramatic changes in my reef, I'll continue to update in hopes of attracting some more viewers.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4956.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

IMG_4953.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the Lagoon: starting to see some decent growth; colors are looking pretty nice as well
1f642.png

If any of you are looking for a skimmer or reactor for your nano, I highly recommend the Eshopps nano skimmer and the IM Desktop reactor. These pieces of equipment are working wonders in my tank.

Not getting many replies on my thread, so I probably won't be updating for a little while. When I start to see some dramatic changes in my reef, I'll continue to update in hopes of attracting some more viewers.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4956.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

IMG_4953.jpeg

The colors are looking excellent. I considered the IM Desktop Reactor but was concerned the volume would be too small to make a big difference. Would you care to elaborate on your experience with it?

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Following along :)

I'm planning a 25g lagoon with high bioload and am trying to decide between the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 (great but large and ugly), the Icecap, and the Eshopps nano skimmer. Do you think the Eshopps skimmer could deal with a clown, blennie, wrasse, and flame angel (and perhaps a goby)? Thanks!

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank! Following along :)

I'm planning a 25g lagoon with high bioload and am trying to decide between the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 (great but large and ugly), the Icecap, and the Eshopps nano skimmer. Do you think the Eshopps skimmer could deal with a clown, blennie, wrasse, and flame angel (and perhaps a goby)? Thanks!

Thank you!

The Eshopps nano is an awesome skimmer; I am really happy with it.

I don't want to give you inaccurate advice regarding whether the skimmer will be enough to keep nutrients down for those fish, but I can give you my personal experience:

I have 2 clowns, 1 watchmen goby, 1 mandarin, and 1 Royal gramma... along with roughly 30 frags. So far, nutrients have been pretty much inexistent. However, I stay on top of my water changes (5 gallons every 1.5 weeks), and I'am running Rowaphos in an IM desktop reactor. ( I would highly recommend the reactor)

I can't objectively say that the skimmer is the reason for my success, but the fact its pulling out a ton of muck, tells me that it's at least pulling nutrients out of my water.

Best of luck and Happy Reefing!

-BG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers-

Just doing a quick update on the lagoon.

Moved some of my corals around and secured them to my rock structure.

I noticed my candy cane coral was receding really fast. Didn't realize how sensitive these guys are to flow. It's in a lower flow area and is already recovering.

Other than that, everything seems to be going pretty well. Next week I will be moving some of my SPS to higher areas in the tank; including the ones on my frag rack.

Happy Reefing!

-BG

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5078.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Quick UPDATE on the lagoon:

I've moved my corals around a bit more. I like it better than before, but I'm still making small adjustments.

I've turned down both lights and flow. I underestimated the amount of flow in my tank (Sicce 1.0, MP10, and an RW4) and the XR30's pump out a TON of light. At 25%, even SPS were bleaching (with acclimation too). I've switched over to the Coral Lab LPS template and modified it slightly. Now running at an intensity of 15% max (around 26 watts or so). Starting to see SPS regain their color which I'm stoked about.

I decided to move the weeping willow to the top. It seems to really like that placement (So far I like it there lol; months down the line though it could start to shade other corals though)

Anyways, I'll update when things are a bit more exciting. In the meantime, here are some photos from a few hours ago. Feel free to comment, ask questions, offer advice. ;)

Happy Reefing.

-BG

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5115.jpeg

IMG_5116.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

motownjc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a 13.5 fluval now. I'm about to upgrade in a few weeks. I was looking at the 20 or 25. This thread has me wanting the 25 more now. I love the low look and more room for rock placement.

Thanks for the updates. If I don't reply I'm sorry but I'll be creeping for sure.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back