My New Tank is Thriving!

lauriepacific

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lots and lots of reading and research, last October I set up my first reef tank - a 65 gal. tank in a cabinet, with a 20 gal. sump, protein skimmer, 2 Hydor Koralia Powerheads and Controller, Eheim 350 return pump, two 50/50 power compact lights, 2 250w MHs, and one actinic.

My tank is filled with 50lbs of base rock and 60 lbs of live rock. I have two False Percula Clownfish, one Meat Coral named Virginia, some Alien Eye Zoas, 3 Dendro polyps, a Clove polyp, 3 ricordeas, 1 Galaxea coral, some Hairy Green Mushrooms, Copper Red Mushrooms, 1 Superman Mushroom, 1 Blue Speckled Purple Mushroom, White Pom Pom Xenia, Tonga Zoanthids, 2 small Birdsnest SPS corals, Gold Tipped Clavularia, 1 large Frogspawn coral, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 3 Turbo Snails, a bunch of Mexican Red Legged Hermit Crabs.

I target feed my Meat Coral and my Dendros and I can't believe how much they're growing! I give them Coral Frenzy and also once a week I buy them a fresh shrimp which I chop into little pieces and feed to these carnivores...they LOVE IT and it's so much fun to watch them eat.

I'm absolutely IN LOVE with my reef tank! It's one of the most satisfying hobbies I've ever had. What an incredible thing to have a beautiful underwater garden right in my living room! I try to purchase only propagated coral and I love showing my tank to friends and neighbors and helping to educate people to the beauty and wonder of the world below our oceans.

This tank photo was taken about a month ago and my corals have grown a lot since. The second photo I took when I discovered a weird white wavy thing on one of my Mag Floats. I later learned what I was, but I won't spoil it by telling you. Any guesses what this is?

It's nice to meet you other devoted reef-keepers here on Reef 2 Reef.
Cheers,
Laurie

Attachments

• Lisa and Flomar Clownfish***.jpg
    Lisa and Flomar Clownfish***.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Reef Tank- 2 Monthsy***.jpg
    Reef Tank- 2 Monthsy***.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 119
  • What's this???BEST.jpg
    What's this???BEST.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
L

lauriepacific

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mevstheworld: You got it! My niece who owns a LFS told me they are "Cerith Snail Eggs" - just as you did. Thanks for the second opinion!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back