Nano LED/Skimmer Check

Deonne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance. I'd like to check if the gear I plan to purchase is a good choice.

I will have a soft coral tank w/ perhaps a clown pair + CUC.

What I have:
- 12 gallon (14 inch cube) display with an external overflow
- eshopps nano cube sump (14x14x16 inch ... ~ 6 gallons water after displacement)
- ~320 gph return pump

What I am considering:
- eshopps nano simmer (rated 10-35 gallons)
- kessil tuna blue a80

Do you think those are good choices? Or are they "too much"? Budget is not really a constraint for this.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 12g near-cube for over 12 years, so I think I can help you here.

The short answers are:

1. Your pump may be fine, but it all depends on how much pressure is lost when the water has to go from the sump to the tank ('head pressure' comes into play). The pump manufacturer should provide gph for the various heights like 3, 4, 5 feet, etc. IME, a rotating nozzle (I use a Hydor) is beneficial for the coral health over the long term, although it does reduce flow by ~25%. Factor those two pieces in and if you flow is ~210 - 250 gph when it flows unobstructed into the tank, that should be plenty for softies, shrooms, and other low to medium flow corals, IMO.

2. I believe that the Kessel should be good for what you intend. Here's a review: https://expertaquarist.com/kessil-a80-review/

3. A skimmer is not necessary for such a small aquarium. Many (myself included) simply do a water change of around 10 - 20%/week (amount depending on the bio load). These little skimmers tend to be relatively ineffective, often noisy and prone to issues plus take up valuable space, but the choice is yours.

Make sure your aquascape allows water to flow 'round-and-'round' (arrange rocks in the centeral area) and that you can easily clean the sides and front (and the rear, if you like the clean look).

A pair of the smallest Clownfish species will outgrow such a small tank in 2-3 years (or less). I had a black/white female that grew from 1-1/2" to 4-1/2" in 2+ years, so just be prepared to eventually rehome them.

Maintenance is the key word for these little nanos...which is a topic for down the road.

Have fun!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back