neodyium magnets + coating?

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching on neodyium magnets and how to coat them to use them in are tanks. have found some people use some epoxies and some people use plasti dips but have not been able to find consistency in the reliability or how reef safe the coating is. does any one have any recommendations?

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching on neodyium magnets and how to coat them to use them in are tanks. have found some people use some epoxies and some people use plasti dips but have not been able to find consistency in the reliability or how reef safe the coating is. does any one have any recommendations?
I found these to be listed as food safe.
Most available on Amazon ...

Permabond
Master Bond
ITW Davcon has afood grade
Pot and seal epoxy

ArtResin 1) BPA Free and 2) certified non-toxic and safe for home use

ArtResin being the only one to say BPA free ....

This link explains how most "PHENOL" ... "BISPHENOL" epoxys are the same
https://www.permabond.com/2017/03/15/food-safe-epoxy-contain-bisphenol/

I think making sure they are well curred before use is the most important ...

This would be for most "clear " or "translucent Amber " Epoxy ....

NOT steel bound ... aluminum bounb ..ect... as they DO contain metal ...

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't .... As it contains many volatile chemicals ...

From The MSDS sheet
Toxicity:
EC50 / 48h Fish
IC50 / 72h Daphnis
LC50 / 96h Algae’s

Toxic to aquatic organisms.
We have no quantitative data concerning the ecological effects of this product. Ecological injuries are not known or expected
under normal use.
12.2 Persistence and degradability:
No data is available on the product itself.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that still happeneds after the curing process. On there site it says they recommend it to coat sensor holders in Marine aquariums.

Don't want to be a guinea pig lol

I wouldn't .... As it contains many volatile chemicals ...

From The MSDS sheet
Toxicity:
EC50 / 48h Fish
IC50 / 72h Daphnis
LC50 / 96h Algae’s

Toxic to aquatic organisms.
We have no quantitative data concerning the ecological effects of this product. Ecological injuries are not known or expected
under normal use.
12.2 Persistence and degradability:
No data is available on the product itself.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hhhhmmm .... I'm going to look that up now ....

I'm in plastic in general is pretty stable and safe .... Once it is "fully cured " ..
I'm curious to see if they have a timeframe curing ...

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't find the article you were referring to ...

I did send them an email and ask them directly if their product is aquarium safe ..
I'll let you know what I hear from them ...

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't find the article you were referring to ...

I did send them an email and ask them directly if their product is aquarium safe ..
I'll let you know what I hear from them ...
I found this old email online ...
They claim 24-hours curing time ...

I personally might give it a week ...
PSX_20180915_004039.jpeg

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this old email online ...
They claim 24-hours curing time ...

I personally might give it a week ...
PSX_20180915_004039.jpeg
This the same stuff people use in vehicle applications? It's really not that durable. Flakes off rather easily. Really wouldn't put it in a saltwater tank myself but that's just my opinion...

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you looking for alike a mass production application or just looking to add a few here and there for various things?

The reason I ask is we know there are reef safe epoxies that people use for fragging. You could always tie a small piece of string or possibly fishing line around the magnet, mix up the epoxy, dip the magnet, let it set and be done with it.

Essentially what I'm saying is look at the epoxies coral heads use and follow their lead.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to use for a few things on the tank. looked into the epoxies and resin and they are more $ then I thought. I also thought about using two part and wrapping the magnet in a thin cacoon of it and sealing it.

On cars you spray it on. on tools and such you dip and the more layers the stronger it is. on a car there is alot of outside forces working against it. If its safe Ill try it worse comes to worse Im going to use resin or epoxy.

This the same stuff people use in vehicle applications? It's really not that durable. Flakes off rather easily. Really wouldn't put it in a saltwater tank myself but that's just my opinion...

are you looking for alike a mass production application or just looking to add a few here and there for various things?

The reason I ask is we know there are reef safe epoxies that people use for fragging. You could always tie a small piece of string or possibly fishing line around the magnet, mix up the epoxy, dip the magnet, let it set and be done with it.

Essentially what I'm saying is look at the epoxies coral heads use and follow their lead.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes he has some very good quality stuff. But past my price point at the moment. Worst comes to worse I will grab some ceramic ferrite magnets as a fill in before I figure it out
Pm him. He might have something that will fit your budget.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following... I'm curious if boat repair shops use a reef safe product.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you probably won’t find any “coating” product this is reef safe, and/or viable to provide a water tight seal to encapsulate magnets.

ceramic magnets would be a good option if you don’t need strong pull force for your application. they are very weak but reef safe.

Last edited:

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good success with incasing magnets with plumbers putty. Knead it to mix then roll it out flat and wrap the magnet. Make sure to work the seams so they are sealed. Work on plastic like a freezer bag to prevent it from sticking to surfaces. You need to move fast since it cures quickly.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to use for a few things on the tank. looked into the epoxies and resin and they are more $ then I thought. I also thought about using two part and wrapping the magnet in a thin cacoon of it and sealing it.

On cars you spray it on. on tools and such you dip and the more layers the stronger it is. on a car there is alot of outside forces working against it. If its safe Ill try it worse comes to worse Im going to use resin or epoxy.

In my mind water, pollutants in the air, wind, and occasional washing still aren't as harsh as a saltwater environment but whatever route you choose I wish you the best of luck and success... fresh I wouldn't have much worry but salt is gnarly.

Back