OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's Randy. I had in mind to set up a third container for the part C and dose according to the tank needs

dose according to the alk dosed, not any other determination of tank needs since you won’t know the needs for most of those ingredients and it is not a good way to boost things that are depleting.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to to convert this recipe into liters? Besides dividing everything by 3.785?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again Randy: checking the BRS videos I have found that they recommend using Tropic Marin part C with the BRS two part by dissolving 168 g of TM part C per gallon of water . That concentration would match the strength of the other two part components. As BRS uses the same strength in their recipe that the original Randy's two part I assume that TM part C at the aforementioned concentration may also be used with the new two part with increased pH boost.

Thanks

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to to convert this recipe into liters? Besides dividing everything by 3.785?

What could be easier, except having someone do it for you? lol

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again Randy: checking the BRS videos I have found that they recommend using Tropic Marin part C with the BRS two part by dissolving 168 g of TM part C per gallon of water . That concentration would match the strength of the other two part components. As BRS uses the same strength in their recipe that the original Randy's two part I assume that TM part C at the aforementioned concentration may also be used with the new two part with increased pH boost.

Thanks

yes, the part C workaround is fine, just don’t add it to either part.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are people finding the alk part recipe impacting their dosing pumps and lines? I’m tempted to start with this because I can’t keep my alk stable enough with kalk. I was tempted to pickup a DOS or Versa to dose this with.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this formula for 9 months and since removing my sand there is a lot of waste on the floor. I assume this is the precipitation?

It might be, or it might be other types of detritus

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people finding the alk part recipe impacting their dosing pumps and lines? I’m tempted to start with this because I can’t keep my alk stable enough with kalk. I was tempted to pickup a DOS or Versa to dose this with.

I have seen precipitation mostly in the calcium line, but I use a 2X solution. When it is about to clog the line I replace it.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using TM part C as well? Any trace elements?

I have detected an increase in salinity that should be balanced either by frequent water changes (I do it once a month and that is not enough) or by adding water, which would produce a decrease in the non-NaCl salt content.
I thought about using TM part C, but I found some Preiss mineral salt without NaCl that I bought some time ago and I'm going to use it. I'm not sure about how much to add each day. I think I'll start with an amount equivalent to the NaOH solution added per day and I'll check whether it compensates the salinity increase. Then I'll check how K and Mg behave, or even order an ICP.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about using TM part C, but I found some Preiss mineral salt without NaCl that I bought some time ago and I'm going to use it. I'm not sure about how much to add each day. I think I'll start with an amount equivalent to the NaOH solution added per day and I'll check whether it compensates the salinity increase. Then I'll check how K and Mg behave, or even order an ICP.

Since it too increases salinity, how would you assess "whether it compensates the salinity increase"?

The product you have is a liquid or a solid?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it too increases salinity, how would you assess "whether it compensates the salinity increase"?

The product you have is a liquid or a solid?
It is salt without sodium chloride, the one recomended in the original balling. Therefore it shouldn't increase the sodium chloride but compensate the decrease in the rest of the components of sea water. Sorry I used the term salinity when I should have used sodium chloride contents.

It is solid.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is salt without sodium chloride, the one recomended in the original balling. Therefore it shouldn't increase the sodium chloride but compensate the decrease in the rest of the components of sea water. Sorry I used the term salinity when I should have used sodium chloride contents.

It is solid.

I understand what it is and how it works and it is a good choice.

My question relates to how you were going to determine how much to use. Specifically, what does the second half of this sentence mean? How will you do that?

"I think I'll start with an amount equivalent to the NaOH solution added per day and I'll check whether it compensates the salinity increase. "

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what it is and how it works and it is a good choice.

My question relates to how you were going to determine how much to use. Specifically, what does the second half of this sentence mean? How will you do that?

"I think I'll start with an amount equivalent to the NaOH solution added per day and I'll check whether it compensates the salinity increase. "

The best way would be to make ICP tests. Another, cheaper, possibility is to measure some elements like Mg and K (which I think are the major components of the mineral salts without NaCl), even though it is not going to be easy to differentiate differences produced by uptake from differences produced by balling.

Any suggestions on this?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way would be to make ICP tests. Another, cheaper, possibility is to measure some elements like Mg and K (which I think are the major components of the mineral salts without NaCl), even though it is not going to be easy to differentiate differences produced by uptake from differences produced by balling.

Any suggestions on this?

lol

I can tell you how much sodium chloride free salt you need. I was just wondering what you were intending.

Are you using the magnesium part as directed (a fixed amount, not based on magnesium testing), or are you using just the alk and calcium parts?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I can tell you how much sodium chloride free salt you need. I was just wondering what you were intending.

Are you using the magnesium part as directed (a fixed amount, not based on magnesium testing), or are you using just the alk and calcium parts?
I'm assuming all brands of sodium chloride free salt would be equal then (say by weight)? I'm definitely curious even if I'm not ready to go this way just yet!

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I'm using the two-part with pH boost, which contains a fixed amount of magnesium. I'm not adding additional magnesium as the amount indicated in the recipe seems to be enough to keep an stable parameter.[/QUOTE]

Back