New saltwater and looking for advice

AshleighM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm new to the saltwater hobby and I'm looking for some advice.
I currently have a 66 gallon Red Sea Max 250 Coral Reef aquarium that I got off of a good friend and experienced saltwater hobbyist (don't worry, everything is extremely clean and running perfectly). Right now my tank is cycling through, but I was looking to see what people would recommend for a coral reef tank (not only coral but fish as well) for someone who is new to the hobby?
Any input would be much appreciated :)

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, the best forum on the planet! Lots of good, friendly knowledgeable people here who are always willing to help!
Good luck with your new adventure!

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, your question is easy and a great question. In that tank, as it is now I would recommend some easy fish at first. There are plenty of easy fish and that would be my first action. After a while, that you will determine, it may be a year or so, you can start adding corals. The reason for that is fish in a new tank are not very healthy and won't be real healthy until conditions improve. That happens, not by reading your test kits, but by gaining experience and allowing your bacteria to mature to the point where you can keep the fish healthy before you add corals. That is my recommendation. Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back