Nicrew hyperreef LEDs extremely loud

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am upgrading my 38 gallon bowfront to a 225 gallon reef tank ( 72in x 27in x 27in). I bought 3 of the hyperreef 150W LEDs from nicrew because they looked nice and slick. The only problem now is that they are very loud. Does anyone else run these lights and have extremely loud fans? This really sucks because the light they produce is amazing and they have a very nice design. I'm thinking about returning them and changing them for something more silent. I've seen some people running the relassy 300W LEDs with good results. There's also the viparspectra, but I fear they'll also be loud. Are there any other good options? My budget for lighting my tank is $600. What lights will give me the best results with my budget?

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my budget is so low, I have been reconsidering running LEDs. Would I be better off running a t5 fixture than buying cheap black boxes?

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nicrew 100w units and agree that are fairly loud. Sounds like a old desktop PC from back in the day.

I also have an issue with the lights flickering shortly after startup. They turn off and then restart after a short period of time. I reached out to the seller and they said this is 'normal'.

I am thinking about trying something else.

The light works well other than the on/off issues.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nicrew 100w units and agree that are fairly loud. Sounds like a old desktop PC from back in the day.

I also have an issue with the lights flickering shortly after startup. They turn off and then restart after a short period of time. I reached out to the seller and they said this is 'normal'.

If that's normal it's also really odd.
Some LED fixtures (general use) do use a soft start but that's not it.

Oddly advertised as having "smart" fans and lower noise.

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were keeping it, I'd look at replacing the fan. I saw someone online replace their 'black box' light fan with good results.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were keeping it, I'd look at replacing the fan. I saw someone online replace their 'black box' light fan with good results.
Thank you that seems like a good option. I just really want to keep them, just the noise of 3 150 watt lights is really loud. Hopefully I can figure out how to replace them. Not very handy lol

OP
OP
R

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The flickering is interesting, I don't think I've seen mine flicker.

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shut off 2x this morning in less than an hour. There seems to be a delay for the fan realizing the light is getting hot.

I bought it from "Nicrew" on Amazon and they said this is normal: "Thank for your reply. Yes, the light will automatically turn off due to the high temperature. And it also will automatically turn on when the temperature goes down. Please don't worry, it is normal."

Last edited:

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three of the 150W Nicrew LED's but I have mounted them using three wood strips that hold 1/2" tall, 1" wide aluminum strut bars so they sit 1.25" above the tank giving enough air space above the light as I am still using my factory Truvue canapy. Because of the canopy I do not notice any of the noise.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to swap the fans on my lights, but found that they are not just a simple plug and play swap. I did however find that removing the plastic cover from the top of the light not only made it MUCH quieter, but also cools more efficiently so the fan turns on less often.

Mehnock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to swap the fans on my lights, but found that they are not just a simple plug and play swap. I did however find that removing the plastic cover from the top of the light not only made it MUCH quieter, but also cools more efficiently so the fan turns on less often.
How did you remove the plastic cover? I also have the 150s and could not figure out how to open them!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back