Nitrite not zeroing out?

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a Red Sea Reefer 250, but I might be having some issues on the cycle. The tank has been up for exactly a month today. I am currently testing the cycle with API (I have red sea test kits for all other aspects of testing, the API is only for the cycle). My current readings are ammonia 0, nitrite 2.5, nitrate 20ish ppm. Tank has been cycling with microbacter, and an appropriate bottle of ammonia.

Ammonia went to zero on the 8th day, when I started getting nitrite readings of around .25. Nitrite has since been at 2.5, and nitrATE climbed to 20 ppm shortly after my NitrITE jumped. But no change has occurred to the nitrITE readings in almost the 3 weeks. I also did a 25% water change to see if it would effect anything as I heard its a false rumor that water changes actually effect the rate at which a tank cycles. (Also comes from DR. Tim himself).

Shouldn't my nitrite read 0 by now if its been quite some time since I've had nitrate readings of 20ppm and ammonia has been at 0ppm for weeks?

I should also mention that I have added two clown fish from my quarantine, ammonia as mentioned has still remained at 0.

20220130_140013.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only read nitrite not zeroing out and API, and stopped.

Nitrite will likely never zero out, especially with the API. If you have nitrate forming, your cycle is (should be after a month) done.
I mean it has read 0 and the past and The API cycling tests have always done me well in the past. But with such a high reading I would have thought it would have gone down at some point.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myth one is that nitrites go to zero. There is always some present.
Myth 2 is API results. Known to contribute to (often false) concerns by folks cycling their tanks.

Your tank has cycled after a month. Do a water change to lower the nitrate and have fun! :)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See write ups by Randy Holmes Farley, any amounts of niTRITE in the water will throw off the niTRATE in the test kits. Any test kit, not just API. You are likely never going to see less than 10 niTRATES with API. But concentrate on the niTRITE first. :)

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See write ups by Randy Holmes Farley, any amounts of niTRITE in the water will throw off the niTRATE in the test kits. Any test kit, not just API. You are likely never going to see less than 10 niTRATES with API. But concentrate on the niTRITE first. :)
So basically the tank isnt cycled then? What should I be doing about the nitrites if so? Anything I can do to zero it out, like adding more bacteria, etc?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a Red Sea Reefer 250, but I might be having some issues on the cycle. The tank has been up for exactly a month today. I am currently testing the cycle with API (I have red sea test kits for all other aspects of testing, the API is only for the cycle). My current readings are ammonia 0, nitrite 2.5, nitrate 20ish ppm. Tank has been cycling with microbacter, and an appropriate bottle of ammonia.

Ammonia went to zero on the 8th day, when I started getting nitrite readings of around .25. Nitrite has since been at 2.5, and nitrATE climbed to 20 ppm shortly after my NitrITE jumped. But no change has occurred to the nitrITE readings in almost the 3 weeks. I also did a 25% water change to see if it would effect anything as I heard its a false rumor that water changes actually effect the rate at which a tank cycles. (Also comes from DR. Tim himself).

Shouldn't my nitrite read 0 by now if its been quite some time since I've had nitrate readings of 20ppm and ammonia has been at 0ppm for weeks?

I should also mention that I have added two clown fish from my quarantine, ammonia as mentioned has still remained at 0.

20220130_140013.jpg
Nitrite is not a big deal in saltwater, and now you’ve put your fish in, well too late anyway. :)
Water changes will reduce it though.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically the tank isnt cycled then? What should I be doing about the nitrites if so? Anything I can do to zero it out, like adding more bacteria, etc?
Stop everything. Stop water changes. Patience. At the end of week 5 you should be through cycle, but I think some of the water changes you have been doing have set you back a little bit.

Correct, tank is NOT finished cycling yet.
After your cycling, your niTRATES should NOT read Zero. There should be a detectable amount since they are the biproduct of the nitrogen cycle you are going through.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, tank is NOT finished cycling yet.
After your cycling, your niTRATES should NOT read Zero. There should be a detectable amount since they are the biproduct of the nitrogen cycle you are going through.
They mentioned they have 20 ppm nitrates. I think the cycle is done. I would bring a sample to my LFS to test just as a safety measure. Or get another test Kit for nitrites.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mentioned they have 20 ppm nitrates. I think the cycle is done. I would bring a sample to my LFS to test just as a safety measure. Or get another test Kit for nitrites.
Nitrate reading is most likely a false reading due to nitrite, however the carbon and phosphate from feeding the clowns may well be beneficial.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of it ? I thought it would simply make it look more than what they are.
Nitrate can read nitrite as 100 x nitrite, so a 0.25ppm nitrite can read as 25ppm nitrate, so yes, all of it +/- some API test accuracy deviation. :)

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update: No change still on nitrite levels. Nitrate levels actually dropped a slight bit according to my red sea test kit. Reading about 10 now. No water changes have occurred. Is my cycle stalled??

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put some fish in slowly and be happy. Ammonia 0 and you are good. Throw away the nitrite test kit it has little to no practical use in saltwater aquarium. If you really want to confirm cycle is good dose some ammonia and see how long it takes to dissapear (though with api it is known to at times show false positive readings there)

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update: No change still on nitrite levels. Nitrate levels actually dropped a slight bit according to my red sea test kit. Reading about 10 now. No water changes have occurred. Is my cycle stalled??
Nitrites (NO2) going down towards zero will take months, not weeks.
Even with some filtermedia from a cycled tank i found out that getting ammonia to zero is not that hard, but nitrites still a pain...

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myth one is that nitrites go to zero. There is always some present.
Yes, but that "some" reads as zero or véry close to zero with the average testkit. In a 100% well cycled tank you can't see any or hardly any pink/purple with a testkit.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that "some" reads as zero or véry close to zero with the average testkit. In a 100% well cycled tank you can't see any or hardly any pink/purple with a testkit.

It depends on what you are cycling for i guess. In SW aquarium teems I consider the cycle 100% complete when the nitrogen cycle has made it safe for livestock, but if instead the goal is to see a test reading of 0 nitrate then yes i agree it can take a painfully long time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back