Nitrite not zeroing out?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the nitrite vs. nitrogen cycle completion debate. Here are the truths involved in the debate:
1. Nitrite is not toxic even at moderately high levels @ the pH we maintain our reef tanks;
2. Nitrite causes most nitrate tests to be INVALID and simply confuses the issue; and
3. When ammonia reads 0 it won't kill fish to add them with elevated nitrites but it may be stressful.

Here are some things I've learned (truths to me):
1. I don't like API test kits;
2. Repeated addition of bottled bacteria is a waste of money;
3. If doing old school cycling, I want nitrites to read 0 on a decent kit before I start adding fish;
4. I never test nitrate while nitrite is present; and
5. There is never...ever... a predictable time-line for completion of an old school cycle.

I would suggest you stop adding bottled bacteria, slow feeding back down, get a decent test kits, and wait for nitrite to drop to 0. I am not saying you must, but everything you do to add more ammonia input delays the stabilization of the process. Remember... Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a lot of mixed advice here, so at this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm just going to do an 80% water change and go from there. I appreciate all of the feedback even if it is of different opinions.

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my test results for Ammonia, NO2 and NO3.

I also included a Salifert NO3 test.

Nitrite and nitrate on API appear slightly darker on camera than my POV.

Attachments

• 1118886-966efed6c1513ca70783c33fbd8e593b.jpg
    1118886-966efed6c1513ca70783c33fbd8e593b.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220207_144658.jpg
    20220207_144658.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220207_144647.jpg
    20220207_144647.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220207_143516.jpg
    20220207_143516.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 69

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point was it is a bit asinine to say that anyone using test kits other than TPM are flushing their money down the toilet.
If you’re buying a product that doesn’t perform the way it’s supposed to, and could actually give you erroneous and damaging information, then you’re flushing your money down the toilet, at best. At worst, you’re sabotaging your own project by using and relying on that product.

Last edited:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my test results for Ammonia, NO2 and NO3.

I also included a Salifert NO3 test.

Nitrite and nitrate on API appear slightly darker on camera than my POV.
What can be determined from your pictures is that the ammonia (that we can test for) is 0 and that nitrites are still elevated. Both nitrate tests are invalid due to the elevated nitrite. If your LFS does testing or you have a reef buddy close, a second nitrite test could check the accuracy of your test kit.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re buying a product that doesn’t perform the way it’s supposed to, and could actually give you erroneous and damaging information, then you’re flushing your money down the toilet, at best. At worst, you’re sabotaging your own project by using that product.

LOL

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a lot of mixed advice here, so at this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm just going to do an 80% water change and go from there. I appreciate all of the feedback even if it is of different opinions.

Haha ya thats the bad thing. We all give free advice it just usually doesnt match :)

Seriously though dont stress on the nitrites they wont hurt anything. Ammonia 0 and presence of nitrites/nitrates based off your other commentary makes good case for your tank is ready for livestock. The WC is a good idea for sure it will get rid of some of those nitrates(and whether you know precisely what percentage of the nitrate reading is actually nitrate is not really a big concern in my opinion)

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can be determined from your pictures is that the ammonia (that we can test for) is 0 and that nitrites are still elevated. Both nitrate tests are invalid due to the elevated nitrite. If your LFS does testing or you have a reef buddy close, a second nitrite test could check the accuracy of your test kit.
So freaking irritating to me that API does not put a disclaimer in its instructions for its nitrate test kit. I haven’t been on this board much lately and I see a lot of new developments, but “nitrifying bacteria-infused dry manufactured painted rock“ takes the cake.

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So freaking irritating to me that API does not put a disclaimer in its instructions for its nitrate test kit. I haven’t been on this board much lately and I see a lot of new developments, but “nitrifying bacteria-infused dry manufactured painted rock“ takes the cake.

OP
OP
M

Mrdbzking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ya thats the bad thing. We all give free advice it just usually doesnt match :)

Seriously though dont stress on the nitrites they wont hurt anything. Ammonia 0 and presence of nitrites/nitrates based off your other commentary makes good case for your tank is ready for livestock. The WC is a good idea for sure it will get rid of some of those nitrates(and whether you know precisely what percentage of the nitrate reading is actually nitrate is not really a big concern in my opinion)
But I'm going to assume adding a couple zoas at this point would still be a bad idea?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So freaking irritating to me that API does not put a disclaimer in its instructions for its nitrate test kit.
I don't think any of them do. It is not the brand, it is the chemical process many of the nitrate kits use. Salifert's test is affected the same way. Like I said, I don't care for API's kits, but it would be wrong to paint it as bad due to how the nitrate test responds to nitrite. The assumption that there would be no nitrite to eschew the test was generally valid until people started quibbling about the week or so it takes for nitrite to go away in the cycle.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of them do. It is not the brand, it is the chemical process many of the nitrate kits use. Salifert's test is affected the same way. Like I said, I don't care for API's kits, but it would be wrong to paint it as bad due to how the nitrate test responds to nitrite. The assumption that there would be no nitrite to eschew the test was generally valid until people started quibbling about the week or so it takes for nitrite to go away in the cycle.
Aquarium pharmaceuticals industries is owned by Mars, the chocolate candy bar company. You would think they would want to maintain their integrity by just putting a little blurb in fine print “nitrate test results could be materially affected by the presence of nitrite”. Now, the user is at least aware that there is a caveat.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm going to assume adding a couple zoas at this point would still be a bad idea?

You are more than fine to add some zoas and fish. Start slow dont add a dozen fish at once, but your tank has been cycling for a month and that is more than enough time to add your first fish. Some nitrites in there (at the level we see in aquariums) are not going to hurt them in saltwater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of them do. It is not the brand, it is the chemical process many of the nitrate kits use. Salifert's test is affected the same way.

Yes, Habib Sekha, owner of Salifert told us that many years ago. Prior to his explaining it, I had no idea they only converted a small fraction of the nitrate to nitrite for testing. I assumed they converted all of it, so interference would be 1:1, not 100:1.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium pharmaceuticals industries is owned by Mars, the chocolate candy bar company. You would think they would want to maintain their integrity by just putting a little blurb in fine print “nitrate test results could be materially affected by the presence of nitrite”. Now, the user is at least aware that there is a caveat
Yes, Habib Sekha, owner of Salifert told us that many years ago. Prior to his explaining it, I had no idea they only converted a small fraction of the nitrate to nitrite for testing. I assumed they converted all of it, so interference would be 1:1, not 100:

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Habib Sekha, owner of Salifert told us that many years ago. Prior to his explaining it, I had no idea they only converted a small fraction of the nitrate to nitrite for testing. I assumed they converted all of it, so interference would be 1:1, not 100:1.
Isn’t Salifert owned by Coralvue or is Coralvue the US distributor?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back