Odd behavior

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed one of my yellow tangs is hiding in between rocks and doesn't come out like it use to. No visible damage but one of my tangs has a tear in a fin. The two yellow and purple that are most active look like the have hlle but not getting worse since i removed the carbon. I feed 2 or 3 times a day and water changes every 2 or 3 weeks. Had a small spike in amonia when a few crabs and snails died but went back to zero the next day. All tangs where introduced at the same time and don't show any aggression that i noticed. Should i be concerned?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the tank is huge, multiple specimens of the same species will be problematic.

OP
OP
MightyMouse85

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he is out and about now but i haven't seen him eat in a while and just did a feeding and he shows no interest. Im concerned as he looks really bad. Any ideas what it could be so i can jump on a treatment now?

20170618_160213.jpg

20170618_160236.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is that this fish is not eating, or is malnourished at a minimum. It does in fact have HLLE but that's not life threatening. Have you seen this fish eat?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is that this fish is not eating, or is malnourished at a minimum. It does in fact have HLLE but that's not life threatening. Have you seen this fish eat?

I agree with 4FordFamily the fish has chronic nutritional issues, either internal parasites, a disease process or inadequate feedings. Lateral line disease is a result of those issues.
I would move him to a QT or separate system were he does not have to compete for food and you can treat for internal parasites.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 4FordFamily the fish has chronic nutritional issues, either internal parasites, a disease process or inadequate feedings. Lateral line disease is a result of those issues.
I would move him to a QT or separate system were he does not have to compete for food and you can treat for internal parasites.
X2 metroplex and focus mixed with food would treat internal parasites but treating with metroplex would be better in a QT as its more effective and of course the fish isn't eating.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back