OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Houston Friday. This is a very dangerous thing for my wallet. Due to time constrain, the one and only LFS I went to was Galactic Corals. This is my must go to LFS in Houston I think.
Anyway, I got this new Blue Carpet from @galactic_coral . I know it is bleached, but I am gambling on it color up beautifully once he recover his health. There is no question in my mind that he is healthy, other than been bleached. My hesitation is how he will look once he recovered. It is a choice I choose to make. There are minimal selection here in Corpus Christi. Knowing that this anemone is healthy, and I don't have to worry about QT and treat him is a huge plus for me.
Trusting a LFS is an oxymoron most of the time, but this particular store is different, and all the anemones there are healthy so I am not worry.

I got home late last night, near mid night. Fortunately the SP was 35 ppt, same as my tank so I just temperature match and dump him in, turn off the PH in my sump. I do what I normally do for anemone, I just pile small rocks, oyster shells (4-5 inches pieces) on him to keep him in place and attach. He attached and is digging in. The pictures below are pictures last night, minutes after I put him in, and this AM, 6-7 hrs later. I removed all the rock now that he attached and digs in for this AM pictures.

Picture minutes after I dump him in, and piles rocks and shells on him
Anemone2020101001BlueHaddoni.jpg

This AM pictures. I removed the rocks and turn the container to give both of the carpets room to expand without been shade by the Purple Gigantea.
Anemone2020101101BlueHaddoni.jpg
Anemone2020101102BlueHaddoni.jpg

Top down picture of my sump
Anemone2020101103TopDownPictureofSump.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trusting a LFS is an oxymoron most of the time, but this particular store is different, and all the anemones there are healthy so I am not worry.

England, we don't mail so many fish and corals over here and most people are reasonably close to a decent lfs, mine is a ten minute drive and one of the renowned ones in the UK, if I buy a fish it gets acclimated floating in the bag with cups of water over about 30 minutes and then I slowly up end the bag and the fish swim out, zero stress, that is how much I trust my lfs and they know that I do this so would tell me if there was anything iffy with their water. :)

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got three African Flameback pygmy angels. All of them went into my 65 gal in my office. Friday, I got a short video of them attached below. Fish wise this tank so far have 1 Tomini Tang, Three Flame back angels. I will add a Pair of Black Snowflake Ocellaris and 1 CBB. That will be all for this tank. Hopefully, the Flameback will be smaller than Flame Angels and will do fine in a 65 gal tank. I had a Flame Angel pair in there before but brought them home because I think they are a little cramped in it. Their spawn dance were severely restricted.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is under a single 5000K flood light. I was messing with the sump at night and snapped this picture from above the water. The surface of the water was agitated so the picture is not as clear as it should be. The color is a little off since the light is kinda yellow.
Clown2020101401Onyx in Magnifica.jpg

This picture was taken under full light with some blue light from the Kessil 350
clown2020092006Magnifica and Onyx.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it bro!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I counted about a dozen or so baby "Banded Trocus" in my sump. The largest of which is about 1.5 cm. I will slowly remove these and put them in my other tanks. I am looking for "Mexican Turbo" which reproduced in my tank in the past. So far I keep on looking for baby Turbo but not able to see any.
Snails cannot reproduce in my DT due to the Harlequin Tusk, but if any of them reach the sump, they are able to grow in my lighted sump in peace without predation.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump have become a Trocus Farm. I removed about 10 of these snails for my 65 gal tank and more just popped out of of the wood. Seem like I hardly remove any. The largest are over 1 cm.
FBF8D778-0EEC-456B-B970-8399D94DEAE0.jpeg
184E1706-86B7-49C2-8249-C72B42A1CC72.jpeg
9ED5D61E-ED4A-4C6C-86A1-208ECB9BA0F0.jpeg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this guy a few months ago. I always like my coral under neutral light rather than heavy actinic. Was not sure how this NY Knicks would turn out. I think it is turning our rather well.
NYKnicks2020102502.jpg

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Your sump has some awesome stuff in it. So jealous. I keep on making rookie mistakes. My last one was a rusty magnet. Lost some corals.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some better pictures of my Flameback Angels. These pictures really show the dimorphism of this species. There are colors and fin shape differences between Male and Female. All three were put in as juveniles. The largest, thus most dominant one, change quickly and clearly is the Male of the harem at this time.
It only take him about 2-3 weeks to change sex. The color differences is easy, a glance is all that is needed. The shape of the anal fin is slightly harder in picture, because this can be seen when the fins are fully extended. These guys are so active, that it is easy to tell when look in person, but photographs it is difficult. I have to use fast autofocus and multiple exposure to catch the fish just right.
Male
Flameback2020102801Male.jpg

Female
Flameback2020102808Female.jpg

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @OrionN, I watched quite a few of your videos and I have to say I love the DT. What really caught my eye was your QT (from the video below). I wanted to ask you how do you medicate with all that macro-algae in there? Also, what type of macro-algae are you using? I wanted to mimic your QT for my Observation tank.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't medicate my fish. The DT is to get my fish use to captivity and use to eat the captive food that I feed them. It must be many years since I treat my fish with medication. However, If I medicate them I would do so in a hospital tank.
As you can see, they really go after my flakes, mysis and pellets. Once they eat well and is fat, I put them into my DT.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't medicate my fish. The DT is to get my fish use to captivity and use to eat the captive food that I feed them. It must be many years since I treat my fish with medication. However, If I medicate them I would do so in a hospital tank.
As you can see, they really go after my flakes, mysis and pellets. Once they eat well and is fat, I put them into my DT.

Thank you for the info. I'd love to know what those plants in the QT are. I'm assuming they're some sort of macroalgae, but what type?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back