Orphek OR Series

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a really good light for the price.
Can this light sit on top of my glass lids?
Is the 120 big enough for my 6ft tank?

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing fish only, I would suggest using two OR 90s. If you're looking to keep anything more than softies in your 125, I'd suggest four OR 90s so you have two bars the full length of the tank. 60-degree lenses are what I'd recommend for a tank as deep and high as yours.

No way to rest them on your tank from Orphek. They either mount to something from above/side or hang with the supplied cables. You could DIY a tank rim mount options and use the hanging brackets.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to add two OR sky blues to my 150 gal. I run halides so I am not worried about spectrum just adding pop to the tank and dusk and dawn.

The UV seems way too purple, pops nicely the colors but I can see it becoming annoying to the eyes after a while.

Has anyone purchased the blue sky and can share feedback on how it performs? Do the cyan leds "brighten" too much the look or help corals pop further? I was almost inclined to replace the cyan by all blue leds, or add UVs with blues but nobody seems to have any feedback.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to add two OR sky blues to my 150 gal. I run halides so I am not worried about spectrum just adding pop to the tank and dusk and dawn.

The UV seems way too purple, pops nicely the colors but I can see it becoming annoying to the eyes after a while.

Has anyone purchased the blue sky and can share feedback on how it performs? Do the cyan leds "brighten" too much the look or help corals pop further? I was almost inclined to replace the cyan by all blue leds, or add UVs with blues but nobody seems to have any feedback.
I would suggest reaching out to them to find out what they would suggest for a custom mix. Let them know what you're looking for and that you're worried about the 490nm in the Sky Blue. They'll probably come up with a mix of 410, 430,460. They're currently building me a 4 foot that's 12 each of 430, 460, and 480nm (not 490nm) to mix with a Reef Day Light that already has quite a few 410nm.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted the rep and received email back that nobody had ever changed the cyan for blues or cyan for UVs.

But then read on this thread his clients have requested it in the past...
I have no clue what to look for.
At this point I'm inclined to get XHO reefbrites, although was curious about the orpheks

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to know what their blue sky looks like visually. The few pics that are shared are the same everywhere. It amazes me Orphek doesn't have more pics of their fixture of their own.

The one pic Orphek puts up for the sky blue has another brand led fixture along in the center so it's hard to know what it looks like.

I really like the royal blues so if the cyan leds make it all look a bit like Windex I might go with another option.

But if it looks good then it's a winner.
I'm not bashing Orphek, I own a V3+ and have dealt with that company for years. Quality product, excellent leds.

Hate to also pay for the product and have to wait almost a month to get it shipped. These led bars must be selling like hotcakes, why not have common blue,UV, etc stocked?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thankfully member Arch85, owner of Reef Bazaar was kind enough to do a video showcasing the strips, showing their coloration and giving a nice review for all of us.

These lights are indeed really nice and spectrum wise, should be awesome as well. Im ordering two sky blue 48’s.
Will try posting his video so others can also have a better idea of how they are.

Here

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thankfully member Arch85, owner of Reef Bazaar was kind enough to do a video showcasing the strips, showing their coloration and giving a nice review for all of us.

These lights are indeed really nice and spectrum wise, should be awesome as well. Im ordering two sky blue 48’s.
Will try posting his video so others can also have a better idea of how they are.

Here

Hi,

Looking into buying this LED bars for some shallow coral propagation tanks(30 cm water depth). Anyone tried them out yet?

BTW, love that on/off button :) Funny thing now when we've had those super programable LEDs for a couple of years, the thing we miss is an on/off button.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Looking into buying this LED bars for some shallow coral propagation tanks(30 cm water depth). Anyone tried them out yet?

BTW, love that on/off button :) Funny thing now when we've had those super programable LEDs for a couple of years, the thing we miss is an on/off button.

I'm installing the lights today! Been running the sky blue along with 4 T5 bulbs and love it. Just picked the uv so I can balance my fixture out. The pop with a single bulb was great, looking forward to both and will update shortly.

b8bd09a2669ddbf205ec6b0ff748c2b8.jpg

215490266bed59bbacdfdfa299c91f7d.jpg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've been running the sky blues for a few days now. Very happy with them, give me a nice pop without the artificial look of some LEDs. The fixture is slim and puts out a lot of light.

I have mine raised about 10" along my halides and the blending of very good.
I do notice that if I lower them the color separation of the LEDs become more evident. That is the case with most LEDs anyways.

I'm very pleased with it so far.
Here is a current pic of the tank with LEDs only

20180723_232658.jpg

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy with my Orphek light bars. Both lights together added the shimmer I was looking for. Interestingly, the UV is washed out from the sky blue so I’m getting addional fluorescence withoutthe purple light. I can also see a better extension of polyps of sps.

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the sky blues for a few days now. Very happy with them, give me a nice pop without the artificial look of some LEDs. The fixture is slim and puts out a lot of light.

I have mine raised about 10" along my halides and the blending of very good.
I do notice that if I lower them the color separation of the LEDs become more evident. That is the case with most LEDs anyways.

I'm very pleased with it so far.
Here is a current pic of the tank with LEDs only

20180723_232658.jpg

Do you have any pictures of how you’ve mounted them to your spectra? Thanks

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of how you’ve mounted them to your spectra? Thanks
I actually didn't have to make any mods to the spectra itself. I used a dremel to mod the brackets that come with the strip and attached them to the existing screw from the spectra.
It is very easy

20180713_212424.jpg

20180713_212413.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Anyone know what wattage there is on the OR 60, 90 resp 120 LED bars? I can't find those details on their website.

Thanks in advance

/ David

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back